Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The old Network issue with a spin..


21 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 and Windows XP
 
 
The old Network issue with a spin..

Hi All,

Got a couple of computer issues that I need your help with.

I have two computers, 1 running Windows 7 and 1 running Windows XP. We'll call them 7 and XP.

Never computer can see shared files or directory even through both have it turned on through the "Network ICON"

So here is the spin

If I type \\Computername on 7 I can see all my shared directory and files (with access to copy them over without a problem) Same on XP

I've even installed the printer that is on XP onto 7 (although it's can't seem to actually print at this time)

Based on the fact that I can type \\computer name and get access on both computers I would imagine all my settings are correcct... but like my spelling.. something must be off

Any ideas?

Both computers can access the internet

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Nov 2009   #2

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Try mapping by ip address. If it works without error, you have a dns issue. Possibly something to do with Bonjour service (mdnsresponder.exe in task manager.) Completely uninstall that if you have it. Google about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

All of my computers run iTunes and have the bonjour service running, and I don't have any problems with networking. Exactly what is bonjour supposed to be doing that completely interrupts networking?


To HaisseM - have you followed any of the Windows 7/XP/Vista sharing guides that are available on the 'net? Do you have any third party security or antivirus applications on your computers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7 and Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Try mapping by ip address. If it works without error, you have a dns issue. Possibly something to do with Bonjour service (mdnsresponder.exe in task manager.) Completely uninstall that if you have it. Google about it.
Mapping by IP works, just like mapping by computername works (works in both services (I don't have Bonjour services installed on my computer.. I uninstall it every time I have every installed Itunes

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
All of my computers run iTunes and have the bonjour service running, and I don't have any problems with networking. Exactly what is bonjour supposed to be doing that completely interrupts networking?


To HaisseM - have you followed any of the Windows 7/XP/Vista sharing guides that are available on the 'net? Do you have any third party security or antivirus applications on your computers?
I have read many of the sharing guides out there, also the ones on this site. They mainly say just change the advanced sharing settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #5

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HaisseM View Post
Mapping by IP works, just like mapping by computername works
Alright then, what is the issue you're trying to fix?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 and Windows XP
 
 

My issue is when I click on "Network Icon" on my desktop I should see all available network options for my computer running windows xp (the folders that have been set to share) however I don't see anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

As I asked previously, do you have any third party security/antivirus applications running on either machine? If so, uninstall them and see if you continue to have issues.

Have you properly configured both computers for file/printer sharing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Can you take a snapshot of what you're looking at and upload it for us to see?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 and Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Can you take a snapshot of what you're looking at and upload it for us to see?
Attached

Computername shows what I see if I do the \\Computername

Network Icon is what I see when I click on the network icon from my desktop



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
As I asked previously, do you have any third party security/antivirus applications running on either machine? If so, uninstall them and see if you continue to have issues.

Have you properly configured both computers for file/printer sharing?
Sorry I have Comodo on both computers and a old version of Zonealarm (which have been disabled|

I also have the free avg on both computers


Attached Thumbnails
The old Network issue with a spin..-computername.jpg   The old Network issue with a spin..-network-icon.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #10

7600.20510 x86
 
 

AVG is causing massive headaches for users. Completely uninstall that.

Uninstall ZoneAlarm too as disabling does not do the same thing as uninstall.

Isolate Comodo as the only firewall on the systems then test from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The old Network issue with a spin..




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: The old Network issue with a spin..
Thread Forum
Loading Spin Indicator Customization
(Unidentified Network - No Network Access) Issue Network & Sharing
HDD spin up at win shut down Hardware & Devices
Drives Spin Up on shutdown General Discussion
After PC is idle a while, all HDD's spin up? General Discussion
*spin off* Your favourite book Chillout Room
Does the CPU fan always spin? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33