Just like many other people on this forum, and other Windows 7 support forums on the internet I am having wireless issues.
My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5739G Notebook and I got it on Friday.
I am experiencing random internet dropouts which either disconnect me totally or give me "no internet" or "limited access" messages.
- Other computers and devices connected to my router are fine.
- When I plug the laptop into the ethernet cable, it's fine
- When I use a USB wifi reciever it's fine (Belkin 54g wireless usb).
- The issue is only when using the built in Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 AGN.
- I have turned off IPv6 and homegroup as some people have suggested.
- I have uninstalled the device and reinstalled.
- I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Intel.
- I have turned off any power saving relating to the Wifi device.
- I have tried turning off WEP/WPA/encryption on the wireless to see if that worked... it didn't.
- I tried changing the channel of the wireless broadcast from 6 to 1 and then 11. No difference.
Desperate for ideas here or I am going to have to take my laptop back!!!