Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Degrading Internet

28 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Degrading Internet

I posted on the lost and found but I figured I'd start up my own thread to get a bit more attention

  • Motherboard/NIC: ASUS P7P55D PRO / Realtek PCIe Family Controller
  • Wired or Wireless: Wired
  • CPU Architecture: x64 i5
  • Upgrade or Clean Install: Clean Install
  • Driver details: Realtek 7.9 Drivers
  • Problem description: Degrading Internet; seems only to effect http regularly. It could take a day it could take 2 hours but slowly and surely web sites take longer and longer to load. A reboot or changing a setting on the network driver resolves the problem temporarily.
  • Solutions or Suggestions: I've tried just about everything mentioned on the forums here. Different drivers, auto tuning disabled, static ip, turning off all services and startup items. You name it I tried it. Although the issue has gotten better it's still there and I'm pretty desperate for someone to provide a resolution at this point.
When I say I've tried everything I'm still open to any suggestions. I've checked my event log and every so often I see this:
Quote:
Log Name: System
Source: RTL8167
Date: 11/27/2009 2:33:32 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: residualenvy
Description:
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is disconnected from network.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="RTL8167" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">1</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-27T19:33:32.848666600Z" />
<EventRecordID>6320</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>residualenvy</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\NDMP3</Data>
<Data>Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller</Data>
<Binary>00000000020030000000000001000080000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Please help I'm going insane!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by residual View Post
I posted on the lost and found but I figured I'd start up my own thread to get a bit more attention

  • Motherboard/NIC: ASUS P7P55D PRO / Realtek PCIe Family Controller
  • Wired or Wireless: Wired
  • CPU Architecture: x64 i5
  • Upgrade or Clean Install: Clean Install
  • Driver details: Realtek 7.9 Drivers
  • Problem description: Degrading Internet; seems only to effect http regularly. It could take a day it could take 2 hours but slowly and surely web sites take longer and longer to load. A reboot or changing a setting on the network driver resolves the problem temporarily.
  • Solutions or Suggestions: I've tried just about everything mentioned on the forums here. Different drivers, auto tuning disabled, static ip, turning off all services and startup items. You name it I tried it. Although the issue has gotten better it's still there and I'm pretty desperate for someone to provide a resolution at this point.
When I say I've tried everything I'm still open to any suggestions. I've checked my event log and every so often I see this:
Quote:
Log Name: System
Source: RTL8167
Date: 11/27/2009 2:33:32 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: residualenvy
Description:
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is disconnected from network.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="RTL8167" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">1</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-27T19:33:32.848666600Z" />
<EventRecordID>6320</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>residualenvy</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\NDMP3</Data>
<Data>Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller</Data>
<Binary>00000000020030000000000001000080000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
Please help I'm going insane!
Hi residual and welcome

One thing I didnt see. I assume you are using homegroup for networking. If so you are using IPv6. IIPv6 causes exactly this type of problem. It has been shown to sometimes cause random drops, slowdowns, dl problems, and oh so much more. I have a gut feeling that this might be the issue. If so it is fairly easy to resolve. Go to network and sharing and setup a new network using the work model called workgroup. It uses a differen IP protocol and is much more stabile. once setup and configured you can disable ipV6 and kill the homegroup.

I have seen this problem more than 100 times and it usually if IPV6.

Let us know how it turns out so I can add case number 101 <g>

Kenn J++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

I had no idea the IPv6 network could be so problematic. Do you suppose it's a problem with the router or network driver not being able to handle the IPv6 protocall?

Homegroup networking works absolutely perfectly for me for some reason.

The only time I had a problem with IPv6 is in the early builds where it would cut out every twenty minutes with an error showing in Event viewer. That problem seemed to be fixed with the later builds.

You would think that an IPv6 problem would only effect Homegroups instead of wrecking havoc on the IPv4 protocall which seems to be happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote:
Hi residual and welcome

One thing I didnt see. I assume you are using homegroup for networking. If so you are using IPv6. IIPv6 causes exactly this type of problem. It has been shown to sometimes cause random drops, slowdowns, dl problems, and oh so much more. I have a gut feeling that this might be the issue. If so it is fairly easy to resolve. Go to network and sharing and setup a new network using the work model called workgroup. It uses a differen IP protocol and is much more stabile. once setup and configured you can disable ipV6 and kill the homegroup.

I have seen this problem more than 100 times and it usually if IPV6.

Let us know how it turns out so I can add case number 101 <g>

Kenn J++
Hello Kenn,

When I try to create a new network connection I get the following error:

Quote:
Connection failed with error 651
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Update: After a reboot error 651 goes away and is now replaced with error 797 modem not found
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This same type of problem is widespread with Windows 7 many types of NIC drivers and wireless network adaptors making it difficult to figure out what the actual problem is. You can try to disable IPv6 as Ken suggested and see if it helps.

About the only fix I've seen is to try out some of the older Vista chipset or eithernet drivers which seems to cure the problem in some cases.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7
 
 

I've had IP6 disabled for some time, didn't help.

I've gotten back to the new connection returning error 651 so it's at least finding PPPoe at this point. But I'm still unable to create a new connection. I've changed the existing connection type to work instead of home. Will this help?

I've considered rolling back to the Vista drivers as well Chev but it doesn't seem to like when I try. The auto install program keeps telling me a newer driver is installed and won't continue. If I roll back to the default Windows 7 drivers the problem still happens. How do I configure a driver manually to a lower version?

Any help as always is appreciated. AT this point I'm honestly considering going back to XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by residual View Post
I've had IP6 disabled for some time, didn't help.

I've gotten back to the new connection returning error 651 so it's at least finding PPPoe at this point. But I'm still unable to create a new connection. I've changed the existing connection type to work instead of home. Will this help?

I've considered rolling back to the Vista drivers as well Chev but it doesn't seem to like when I try. The auto install program keeps telling me a newer driver is installed and won't continue. If I roll back to the default Windows 7 drivers the problem still happens. How do I configure a driver manually to a lower version?

Any help as always is appreciated. AT this point I'm honestly considering going back to XP.
Hey

Sorry was a nice thought. you can remove the driver and then prevent win 7 from updating if it works. error 651 is a router/modem error look here Error 651. We should start to gather date from event viewer, device manager performance monitor, etc. Just tell us when you want to shoot the box so we can get out of the way <g>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7
 
 

Quote:
Seems to be for windows xp as my control panel doesn't have any of those options. I did find Phone and Modem but I have nothing listed nor do I have a dailup modem even on this PC.

When I removed and delete the driver windows automatically installs another driver upon reboot how can I prevent that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Degrading Internet




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33