|29 Nov 2009||#1|
| || |
Printer on Windows 7 - Win XP can NOT access it
I tried searching this before couldn't find a thread with the issue I have...
1) Windows 7 64bit has a Samsung ML-2510 USB printer installed
2) I shared the printer in Windows 7
3) x64 drivers are installed but could not installed x86 drivers. It keeps saying the driver is not for the processor architecture (using the driver I used for WinXp)
4) In Advanced Sharing Options, I enabled Sharing and disabled password. I only have one account with no password, on Win 7 Machine.
5) Windows Xp laptop is a work machine and part of a domain, so I can NOT change the workgroup to "Workgroup"
6) Tried installing the printer using \\Win7Machine\Samsung command in Winxp run dialog
7) Printer windows opens up showing "Initializing" and then get 'ready'
8) NOTHING happens when I try to print a test page.
Is there a way I can use the printer? I used to be able to print without any problem, when I was on XP.
|My System Specs|
|22 Dec 2009||#7|
| || |
I had same issue and found a resolution
I had the following issue.
Home PC - Windows 7 with lots of USB printers
Home Laptop - Window XP part of the WorkGroup
Work Laptop - Windows XP part of company domain
Solution was to give the HomePC a static IP address, and to follow all the advice about setting up the printers to be shared that is published for Windows 7.
Then from the Home Laptop, browse to the \\HomePC\ and this lets you install the shared printer
From the Work Laptop use the add printer wizard.
Choose A Network Printer, or printer attached to another computer
Connect to this printer....
Leave the box blank and <Hit Next>
In the printer dialog box type in the following
the IPADRESS should be the static IP of the HOMEPC with all the printers attached to.
Then the box should populate with the available printers which can then be selected and added.
I dont know why it works, but it does. :-)
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Printer on Windows 7 - Win XP can NOT access it|
|Win7-Win7 printer sharing; connect to printer access denied||Network & Sharing|
|Unable to access shared folder but able to access shared printer||Network & Sharing|
|Windows 7 access to a shared printer on XP||Hardware & Devices|
|Cannot install HP printer drivers - "Access is denied" in Windows 7||Drivers|
|Windows cant open Add Printer. Access Denied||Hardware & Devices|
|Using printer server to access old printer??||Network & Sharing|
|Can't access printer/ no permission||Hardware & Devices|