Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My neighbor's router?

02 Dec 2009   #1
Fuentes

7 HP & ULT
 
 
My neighbor's router?

Hi all--

I have a problem and this isn't a W7 problem(because Vista fixed it automatically), but the people here are so knowledgeable I thought I'd post here.

EVERY time Paul, my neighbor, either signs on to his router or cell phone(I'm not sure which), I get bumped off my internet connection while using my laptop. And with W7, I now have to reset my router to reconnect.

What can I do to ignore his signal?

Thanks; sigh.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fuentes View Post
Hi all--

I have a problem and this isn't a W7 problem(because Vista fixed it automatically), but the people here are so knowledgeable I thought I'd post here.

EVERY time Paul, my neighbor, either signs on to his router or cell phone(I'm not sure which), I get bumped off my internet connection while using my laptop. And with W7, I now have to reset my router to reconnect.

What can I do to ignore his signal?

Thanks; sigh.
Hi Fuentes and welcome


Easy, Change the channel the router is using. If you tell us what router we can give you some help. I have had to do it twice here.

Let us know

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #3
Fuentes

7 HP & ULT
 
 

Hi Ken--
It's a Linksys WRT54G router. If I go into the router configuration, what do I need to change to correct the problem? I'm a little nervous in that particular area. All I have are a desktop and a laptop, and as far as I know, I only get bumped when using my laptop.
I was on channel 6 and have since changed it to channel 11.
Thanks Ken, thanks all.

EDIT: I realize it's only been a day or two, but thanks Ken, your suggestion seems to have cleared up the network confusion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Dec 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fuentes View Post
Hi Ken--
It's a Linksys WRT54G router. If I go into the router configuration, what do I need to change to correct the problem? I'm a little nervous in that particular area. All I have are a desktop and a laptop, and as far as I know, I only get bumped when using my laptop.
I was on channel 6 and have since changed it to channel 11.
Thanks Ken, thanks all.

EDIT: I realize it's only been a day or two, but thanks Ken, your suggestion seems to have cleared up the network confusion.
Glad it worked. I was just coming back to check

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2009   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Nice work Ken, I was wondering if those channels were good for anything, looks like they are there for a reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2009   #6
Fuentes

7 HP & ULT
 
 

Update: Buddy Paul showed up again yesterday, even after switching to channel 11. This morning, I changed to channel 1, and guess what?
Bumped again!

Any other ideas?
As usual, thanks all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #7
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Hi Fuentes,

Are you saying that it is only your laptop that gets bumped off? What happens if you have both online at the same time?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #8
joeykhor

Window 7 Ultiamte 32bit
 
 

hey, if you dont want your neighbour to connect to your wireless connection anymore, then why dont just add password to the wireless connection
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #9
Fuentes

7 HP & ULT
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joeykhor View Post
hey, if you dont want your neighbour to connect to your wireless connection anymore, then why dont just add password to the wireless connection
He isn't connecting to my bandwidth, just knocking me off mine.

Quote:
Dwarf wrote:Are you saying that it is only your laptop that gets bumped off? What happens if you have both online at the same time?
Just my laptop gets bumped Dwarf.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #10
Qdos

 

Resite your router as far from your neighbours as possible, and if the problems don't stop at this point then try fitting a lower gain wifi antenna on your router (or turning down the Tx power both on the router and your WiFi cards) if channel switching, and attenuation, isn't curing the problems all alone.

Look carefully at your AP settings and your WiFi cards advanced parametres too.

If you still have no joy then speak to your neighbour and explain that the only resort left open to you is to complain to the authorities responsible for regulation of WiFi and other domestic emisions which cause interference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 My neighbor's router?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Connecting Wireless router to Cable Modem/Router
My wife's sister has Comcast Cable. They installed a Modem/Router that the wireless part seems to have died. Can a wireless router be connected via ethernet cable to the cable modem/ router?
Network & Sharing
Cannot see home wireless network but can see neighbor's
I just moved to a new apartment and had no trouble logging into the wifi on my iPhone and Kindle, but my computer cannot even see the network. My roommates are having no trouble with the internet either. I have restarted my computer several times as well as tried to manually connect to the network,...
Network & Sharing
Adding a non neighbor unallocated space into C: drive
I have attached my HDD image to be clear what's my problem. My question is how to add that 97 GB free/unallocated space into C: drive? Thanks.
General Discussion
my laptop can see other neighbor wi-fi networks but not mine
For the past two days my HP notebook using windows 7 proffesional and Microsoft security essentials ant-virus has not been able to see my wi-fi network though i can see other networks and connect to them: Moreover, other PC's i.e laptops and desktops can connect to this home wi-fi network just not...
Network & Sharing
Going Crazy with Neighbor's Computer - System Image
Ugh. For the last 7 hours I've been dealing with the neighbor's computer. The original problem was their hard drive was failing, causing everything to run very slowly. Today I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium x64. The installation went fine. After setting up...
Backup and Restore
Allowing neighbor to connect wirelessly...
through my Cisco wireless router, which is unsecured, while I am using LAN,but he is able to connect through the host therefore causing me slow downs on my speed. My question is this...how do I allow him guest access but block from using my host connection? I know I shouldn't be doing this in the...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App