"New" is my brand new Dell with Windows 7 Home Premium
"Old" is a Dell with XP Home with sharing turned on
- On "new" click on the Windows icon on the lower left part of the tool bar
- Click on "All Programs"
- Click on the "Accessories" folder
- Click on "Windows Explorer"
- Right click on the "Library" you want to share
- Click "Share with"
- Click on "Specific people"
- Click on the down arrow box and select "Everyone"
- Click "Add"
- Click on "Share" and "Read/Write"
- Click "Next"
- Click "Done"
- Click on "Network" at the left. Your "old" computer should now show up after a second or two.
- Click on your "old" computer name
- Click on the folder on "old" you want files from
- Drag and drop the files of interest from "old" to your Windows 7 folder of interest on "new" on the left.
Now go have an adult beverage. You've earned it.
I cannot see the Windows 7 folder from "new" on my "old" computer's Windows Explorer because "new" wants me to first enter a user name and password. No matter to me because I can just get any files I need from "old."
BTW: the only way I could get "new" to add email addresses from "old's" Outlook Express was to save a CSV file on "old" with everything checked, transfer it to "new" and then import that email address file into "new's" Outlook. That was the only thing that worked for me and it worked perfectly.
p.s. I could never get Office 2003 to install on "new" but Office 2007 did with a little bit of minor frustration.