Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs

17 Dec 2009   #1
jeffc

Win7(x64)
 
 
Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs

I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2009   #2
DC187

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Create a new group in AD, for example, TestUsers
Add the required users to the group
Go round each machine and add the group as a member of local admins.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #3
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

At the server go to user settings and add them to the domain administrator group.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2009   #4
DC187

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7clutz View Post
At the server go to user settings and add them to the domain administrator group.
That's not good advice at all, that will make all those users administrators across the entire domain which I don't think is the desired effect and could become quite a security issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #5
jeffc

Win7(x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DC187 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7clutz View Post
At the server go to user settings and add them to the domain administrator group.
That's not good advice at all, that will make all those users administrators across the entire domain which I don't think is the desired effect and could become quite a security issue.
Correct. I don't want them to be domain admins. Just local admins on specific test machines.

Thanks everyone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #6
patwhatsthat

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Not sure how simple or complicated your actual task is
Simple? try this
to add someone to a group
net localgroup GroupName UserName /add
to remove
net localgroup GroupName UserName /delete
complicated?
Google, manage group membership + powershell
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #7
Tempest

All Windows / Dos
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

Too easy Jeff - all you need to do is:
  1. log in to each "test" PC as the local admin
  2. Go to "Control Panel", "User Accounts"
  3. Go to "Manage User Accounts", then the "Advanced" Tab
  4. Click on the "Advanced" button in the middle of the form
  5. Open the "Groups" folder, then double-click on the "Administrators" group.
  6. Click "Add", then add the relevant user (Username@Domain)
  7. OK (etc) to close all the windows.
  8. Log off the local admin account, then log in to the domain user and test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2012   #8
Mysterchr

Windows 7 pro 32bit
 
 
The "Wizard" Way

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

Too easy Jeff - all you need to do is:
  1. log in to each "test" PC as the local admin
  2. Go to "Control Panel", "User Accounts"
  3. Go to "Manage User Accounts", then the "Advanced" Tab
  4. Click on the "Advanced" button in the middle of the form
  5. Open the "Groups" folder, then double-click on the "Administrators" group.
  6. Click "Add", then add the relevant user (Username@Domain)
  7. OK (etc) to close all the windows.
  8. Log off the local admin account, then log in to the domain user and test.
Tempest would you call this the "Wizard" way of doing this? For years I've always gone through computer management to add domain users to local groups however my new boss just informed me that I must use the wizard to do these things, "that's why their there." Yet he could not tell me what exactly the wizard way of adding a domain user to the administrators group on a local win 7 machine is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2012   #9
baespey

Windows 7 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit Build 8102
 
 

Note, you can also do this through MMC 3.0 snap ins at your own PC. Just launch it up, connect to another computer, and do anything you desire through there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2015   #10
hehe

Win8.1 64bit
 
 
Easiest way to administer local admins

How to make a user a local admin on just one computer, by just adding this computerís name to the userís Description in AD. security - Group Policy: Administrator Rights for Specific Users on Specific Computers - Server Fault Works in 8.1 and Win 7, just one short script an a oneliner GPO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Local Area Connection" missing in "Change adapter Settings".. Plz hlp
I have to set up a Broadband connection. But Local Area connection icon is missing. Someone told "drivers" could be missing... I installed few. But the problem is as it was.. please guide me in this regards.. Thank you Screen shots Attached
Network & Sharing
"Unable to elevate to admin rights" error, when admin user
I am trying to download Adobe Digital Editions and I keep receiving the error message Unable to elevate to administrative rights, error 786 I am the admin! I have turned off the password, I have right clicked on the program and chosen 'run as admin'-then nothing happens. Any help would be...
Software
Duplicate "local" folder in "AppData"
After Avast did a full scan it listed some files it could not find. They were in the /appdata/local/opera mail/opera mail folder/ So I went to check and found 2 identical "Local" folders. I have a full backup copy of the hard drive which is only a month old and it has only 1 local folder. ...
General Discussion
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config "
i Recently bought and hp windows 7 computer 64 bit and it was fine but two weeks later it does this it was working few hour ago and now it saids this ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config" what does that mean? i couldnt fix it, i turned off the router, modem did a pc recovery...
Network & Sharing
"Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing"
Computer Specs: CPU: I5-2400 MB: Asus Pz868 Ram: Corsair 8GB Vengeance LP Using on board VIdeo For now Maxtor HD Sata WD Raptor Sata HP Lightscribe DVD-r Drive Sata Problem I was having once I completed my new build with old system parts was as listed in title. It started out as select...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App