Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 not asking for passkey when connecting to WEP wifi

21 Dec 2009   #1
kao

Windows 7
 
 
W7 not asking for passkey when connecting to WEP wifi

Currently I am using a Dell laptop with XP which is connected to my house's wireless connection. SSID itself is an open WEP. I had no problem connecting with the XP laptop; it asked me for a password, I put it in and it worked. When I try connecting with my other Dell laptop with Windows 7, it won't ask me for a password and say, "Windows was unable to connect to _____."

I then tried manually connecting to the wireless connection under the network settings. I've tried all WEP options and made sure the password was correct countless times and still I'm unable to connect to the wifi.

I spoke with a Dell representative, but all they suggested was to pay for another help service.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Dec 2009   #2
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kao View Post
Currently I am using a Dell laptop with XP which is connected to my house's wireless connection. SSID itself is an open WEP. I had no problem connecting with the XP laptop; it asked me for a password, I put it in and it worked. When I try connecting with my other Dell laptop with Windows 7, it won't ask me for a password and say, "Windows was unable to connect to _____."

I then tried manually connecting to the wireless connection under the network settings. I've tried all WEP options and made sure the password was correct countless times and still I'm unable to connect to the wifi.

I spoke with a Dell representative, but all they suggested was to pay for another help service.
Hello kao, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

Windows 7 does not support WEP. It is so old and insecure it is not much better than using no security at all.

Instead use WPA or WPA2 for your home wireless network security.



Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #3
kao

Windows 7
 
 

Robert:

Thanks for the welcoming. Are you suggesting I change my router's password setting to WPA(2), or merely change the manual setting to it? When I do this, the wireless connection is marked with an X, disabling me from attempting to connect to it at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2009   #4
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kao View Post
Robert:

Thanks for the welcoming. Are you suggesting I change my router's password setting to WPA(2), or merely change the manual setting to it? When I do this, the wireless connection is marked with an X, disabling me from attempting to connect to it at all.
Yes, the router controls the secured access so you would need to begin to use the preferred security WPA2 offered by the router. We hear lots of complaints about connecting to home networks, so you may need to take several steps to sort it out, but I would suggest to you first, after you change to WPA2, to reboot your laptop and see if it recognizes the wireless network so you can create a new wireless connection.

Let us know how it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2010   #5
Harold4187

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kao View Post
Currently I am using a Dell laptop with XP which is connected to my house's wireless connection. SSID itself is an open WEP. I had no problem connecting with the XP laptop; it asked me for a password, I put it in and it worked. When I try connecting with my other Dell laptop with Windows 7, it won't ask me for a password and say, "Windows was unable to connect to _____."

I then tried manually connecting to the wireless connection under the network settings. I've tried all WEP options and made sure the password was correct countless times and still I'm unable to connect to the wifi.

I spoke with a Dell representative, but all they suggested was to pay for another help service.
Hello kao, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

Windows 7 does not support WEP. It is so old and insecure it is not much better than using no security at all.

Instead use WPA or WPA2 for your home wireless network security.



Cheers!
Robert
You must be kidding me .
windows dont support wep?
That is why i cant log on.
BB public network in Alaska uses wep.
I will have no choice but to go back to XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2010   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

IseeU is incorrect with that statement, although it's not a very secure way of connecting wirelessly that is for certain.

Windows 7 certainly does support WEP however, certain routers do not work well with Windows 7 and WEP. Sometimes a firmware update will be required for it to work correctly with WEP.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...d-ca2d7500bcb9
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2010   #7
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Win7 does support WEP. Its probable Windows 7 saved a profile for your network with the wrong settings. First try to delete the current profile by going to: Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center. There click on the 'Manage wireless networks' link, select your network and click on Remove.

Now, scan for wireless networks. Select your own network from that list, then click on Connect, then type in your WEP key. If it still doesnt prompt you for the key, open your router interface with the router's IP address and make sure security is enabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 May 2010   #8
Harold4187

Windows 7
 
 

This is what I did to fix it.

Start> control panel>network and internet>network and sharing wizard>setup a new connection or network>manually connect to a wireless network.
It has a option in it to setup WEP .
Windows connection wizard will not let you put in a key.
I am not sure but I think I did this for both wireless cards the wave magnum and the built in wireless.
There is no way to turn off the Microsoft wireless connection wizard and let realtek run the wireless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2011   #9
argusmike

XP
 
 

Just a note to thank Bill2 for his clear and effective reply. Worked great for me.

[I changed the wireless key at our place. My wife's W7 laptop refused to prompt for it, sending her/me into an endless loop of "connecting" alternating with offers to debug the network. All because W7 had created a profile that had the old key. Why not just prompt for the key when that's a problem?]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2011   #10
Wareus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Could it be a router settings issue?

Connect to the router and check if you have network filter enabled with only the xp's mac adress
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 not asking for passkey when connecting to WEP wifi




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WiFi Not Connecting
Not only am I a WiFi newbie, I'm also a Windows 7 newbie as well. I learned to use computers on Mac/Apple computers. This just adds to my dilemma and confusion. OK, here's where I'm at right now. I have an HP laptop (windows 7 x 64 bit) that I've been trying to get to connect to several local...
Network & Sharing
Connecting two Laptops With wifi
hello all. i have two laptops at home. i want to share files with them using the Wi-FI. i created an ad-hoc network and was able to share files but the thing was that the speed of the transfer is very slow around 700 Kbps. Is there a way i can improve the speed?
Network & Sharing
Connecting 3 (or 2) PCs via WiFi + security question
Hi. I live in an apartment here in Bangkok and have my own wireless router, provided by the apartment block. The management have changed things recently though and I have a few questions - some probably a bit basic: wifi and networking is not one of the areas of IT in which I have much know-how......
Network & Sharing
Computer not connecting to wifi.
My computer used to connect perfectly to wifi. Then I tried setting up an access point through my laptop, using netsh commands, and now it won't connect at all. When I boot to Ubuntu however, it works fine. How can I get Windows to connect to wifi again?
Network & Sharing
wifi router not connecting
i have purchased a new wifi router i have configured it to an open authentication i have a laptop windows7 ultimate (dell). It shows my network but whenever i say connect it says "connecting" and then "windows was unable to connect". Thanks
Network & Sharing
Having issues connecting to home wifi...help!
Okay I'm using a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 and I can connect to my neighbors wifi just fine, but when I go to connect to our home, I enter the correct password and it connects...but the internet doesn't work! I know nothing is wrong with out wifi, my iPhone can connect just fine! I tried...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App