I disabled my McAfee firewall network protection and got the same "Network Name cannot be found."
Below is the cut and pasted instruction list I got from the thread that is mentioned above. Under #2, it says to make sure you can "see" the printer share on the Network Browing. This may be the problem. When I pull up the network I only see the Win 7 computer and the Vista computer, but not the printer. At this point, since I can't see the printer on the network, what do I do?
The printer did show up on the devices list on the Win 7 computer, but I have now removed it so I can start over in the process. The downloaded driver is still installed in my Documents folder. Thanks again for your help.
1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER. 2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.
Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).
3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.
4) Create NEW port==>Local port
5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER
6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.
(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address.