Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Restart remote using RDP


25 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Restart remote using RDP

Hi All, I am regularly using RDP between my laptop and 2 desktop machines (all running 7 Ultimate) but would like to be able to reboot the remote machine. RDP hides the reboot options so does anyone know of a gadget or similar that would enable such action. I guess it must be possible as some software installations actually carry out this action when installed remotely. I have tried some gadgets but they do not work.
Any guidance will be much appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Dec 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wychall View Post
Hi All, I am regularly using RDP between my laptop and 2 desktop machines (all running 7 Ultimate) but would like to be able to reboot the remote machine. RDP hides the reboot options so does anyone know of a gadget or similar that would enable such action. I guess it must be possible as some software installations actually carry out this action when installed remotely. I have tried some gadgets but they do not work.
Any guidance will be much appreciated.

You might want to check out team view. It lets you remotely reboot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #3
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Hi and Welcome,

Are you mean to say the reboot option is not found when you click Start? When you RDP to the other machine, you get the fully desktop, aren't you, or am i not understanding you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Yes, I get the full desktop with RDP EXCEPT the "Start..Shut Down" button gives options of Log Off, Lock or Disconnect only. No Shutdown or Restart facility.

ZigZag3143 - Sorry for my ignorance but what is Team View please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #5

W7 Ultimate 64bit W7 Premium 64bit W7 Premium 32bit WXP Home 32bit
 
 

You can use the shutdown command: Open a DOS Window on the remote machine and type: "shutdown /r". This will force a shutdown and reboot in 30 seconds. You can see other options for the command by typing "shutdown /?".

I have a remote system that I need to reboot using RDP and I make a shortcut on the desktop with this as the command. It works pretty well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #6
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wychall View Post
Yes, I get the full desktop with RDP EXCEPT the "Start..Shut Down" button gives options of Log Off, Lock or Disconnect only. No Shutdown or Restart facility.

ZigZag3143 - Sorry for my ignorance but what is Team View please?
If that the case, you can enabled the feature in the Properties of the machine's Taskbar, or am i missing the point?

Edit: In the Task Bar Properties, in Start Menu tab, what is your "Power button action" set to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

AEM. In the Task Bar properties the power button is set to Logoff but the option box is greyed out and cannot be changed. Seems that Microsoft do not intend you to reboot remote machines.

Thanks RedBirdDad, that works a treat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #8
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

I knew something was deeper in meaning then what i thought it was. Will look into it more when i get a chance, thanks for the head up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #9

W7 Ultimate 64bit W7 Premium 64bit W7 Premium 32bit WXP Home 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wychall View Post
AEM. In the Task Bar properties the power button is set to Logoff but the option box is greyed out and cannot be changed. Seems that Microsoft do not intend you to reboot remote machines.

Thanks RedBirdDad, that works a treat.

No sweat. Glad to help. Hope you had a great Holiday.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Restart remote using RDP




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33