Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless network (N)

29 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 32bit
 
 
Wireless network (N)

Hi there,
Im running a Compaq Presario CQ40 notebook
Specs
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) x2 Ultra Dual-core mobile ZM-84 2.30 GHz
RAM: 4GB
System type: Windows 7 home premium 32-bit

Ny notebook also has a built-in wireless n adapter.
the router is 802.11n
Now my question is how do i know if im using Wireless N and not wireless G.
Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Dec 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fattyking View Post
Hi there,
Im running a Compaq Presario CQ40 notebook
Specs
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) x2 Ultra Dual-core mobile ZM-84 2.30 GHz
RAM: 4GB
System type: Windows 7 home premium 32-bit

Ny notebook also has a built-in wireless n adapter.
the router is 802.11n
Now my question is how do i know if im using Wireless N and not wireless G.
Thanks

look in task manager Networking see pic


Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

R:zigzag3143
thx for that info. So if my link speed is above 54mbps it should be N wireless am i right? Currently my link speed is 108mbps but it jumps from80++ to 140++ .Also how can i increase the signal strength? My signal strength keeps jumping from 2bars to 4bars.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Dec 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fattyking View Post
R:zigzag3143
thx for that info. So if my link speed is above 54mbps it should be N wireless am i right? Currently my link speed is 108mbps but it jumps from80++ to 140++ .Also how can i increase the signal strength? My signal strength keeps jumping from 2bars to 4bars.
Thanks

Actually some G routers can do 108mb. but if you are touching 140 thats "n" Strength is a function of distance and direction. N should have decent range.

doesnt really matter for you bottleneck is going to be your connection to your ISP.


Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Also can i clarify something. Does using a Wireless N router definitely mean that i will be running on wireless 'N' and not 'G'??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #6

 

Nope, routers usually must be configured to use N - same for the adapters!
However, there are some compatibility issues so it can happen it will not work depending on what hardware you use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #7

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

Hi, you could also have a look in the Device Manager and then click on Network Adapters.

Name:  de.PNG
Views: 89
Size:  63.7 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MyWin7 View Post
Nope, routers usually must be configured to use N - same for the adapters!
However, there are some compatibility issues so it can happen it will not work depending on what hardware you use.
Thanks for the info
Now my link speed is jumping from 40mbps to 121mbps in the last 5mins of timing it. Additionally, my wireless signal strength keeps hopping from 2 bars to 4 bars even though i dont move my router or my laptop. Any suggestions? Also how do i configure the router/adapter?
Sorry for so many questions :P im new to this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jfar View Post
Hi, you could also have a look in the Device Manager and then click on Network Adapters.

Attachment 44428
Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adaptor
This is my wireless adaptor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #10

 

what make/type is the router?

your jumping signal strength indicate a problem with walls or neighbours
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless network (N)




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33