Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wifi Connection shortcut?


06 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Wifi Connection shortcut?

Hey, not sure if this is posted in the correct forum or not so moderators feel free to move it if you have too.. Just wondering if it is possible to create a shortcut on your desktop to the system tray "connect to networks" window? For Wifi.. as I like to keep my taskbar hidden yet everytime I wish to change networks I have to make it visible again. I know I could just make shortcuts to different networks, but that would clutter my desktop as I often connect to many different networks and I don't wish to do this.

So is this possible? Simply a shortcut that open the "Connect to network" small box that opens normally when you click the wifi tab in the system tray?

Thanks,
Matthew.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jan 2010   #2
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

How about try the shortcut on they keyboard : Windows key + X.
Should look like this:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 209
Size:  64.1 KB
Just click and it shows the centre (or the little box that shows in the right bottom hand corner).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 

I guess that's a good compromise but is it actually possible to get a desktop icon like I
asked in my original post? Because then I can put it into Objectdock, making life easier.

Pity System tray icons doesn't work on Objectdock for Windows 7 64-bit, otherwise this wouldn't be a problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Jan 2010   #4
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Code:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
Highlight that, press 'Ctrl' + 'C' then 'Ctrl' + 'V' into the address bar of explorer and press enter.
Right click on the Network and sharing centre(Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 46
Size:  6.1 KB), and press 'Copy Address' (first option), then right click on the desktop and press 'Copy shortcut'.
This should work


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lil' Domii View Post
Code:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
Highlight that, press 'Ctrl' + 'C' then 'Ctrl' + 'V' into the address bar of explorer and press enter.
Right click on the Network and sharing centre(Attachment 45877), and press 'Copy Address' (first option), then right click on the desktop and press 'Copy shortcut'.
This should work
Hmm tried it and it didn't work

But thats not exactly what I'm looking for .. I'm looking for a shortcut to the "Connect or Disconnect" link within the network and sharing centre.. Exactly the same as when you click the wifi icon in the system tray, except I want to turn it into a shortcut to put into Objectdock.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #6
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MatthewRuddy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lil' Domii View Post
Code:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
Highlight that, press 'Ctrl' + 'C' then 'Ctrl' + 'V' into the address bar of explorer and press enter.
Right click on the Network and sharing centre(Attachment 45877), and press 'Copy Address' (first option), then right click on the desktop and press 'Copy shortcut'.
This should work
Hmm tried it and it didn't work

But thats not exactly what I'm looking for .. I'm looking for a shortcut to the "Connect or Disconnect" link within the network and sharing centre.. Exactly the same as when you click the wifi icon in the system tray, except I want to turn it into a shortcut to put into Objectdock.
I don't think you can do what you want for what you want. I personally think keyboard shortcuts are faster.
Just do Windows key + X then quickly press W x2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #7
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Mathew, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I think this may be close to what you are after.

Network Connections - Create Shortcut

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Hmm beginning to think this is probably impossible.. Here an image of what I'm talking about..

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #9
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MatthewRuddy View Post
Hmm beginning to think this is probably impossible.. Here an image of what I'm talking about..

Being me, I'd insist of using keyboard shortcuts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lil' Domii View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MatthewRuddy View Post
Hmm beginning to think this is probably impossible.. Here an image of what I'm talking about..

Being me, I'd insist of using keyboard shortcuts.
Yeah tbh its a very close and good solution, but just wondering if there is a way to make this shortcut. If not I'll stick with the hotkeys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wifi Connection shortcut?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wifi Connection shortcut?
Thread Forum
Wifi connection issue Network & Sharing
Wireless Connection - WIFI connection not showing up Network & Sharing
Solved wifi connection to tv Network & Sharing
wifi connection Network & Sharing
Shortcut to a VPN Connection... Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Wifi Connection Network & Sharing
Wifi connection Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33