Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: VPN Help required


14 Jan 2010   #21

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Veldthui...
what kind of cell phone do you have?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jan 2010   #22

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Ahahaha, the thread starter have the same problem as I do... and I KNOW THE ANSWER !!!

The answer is: Microsoft SMB server for Windows clients DOES NOT SUPPORT ROUTING. IT ONLY SUPPORTS COMMUNICATION TO LOCAL NETWORK.

Here's how I "solve" mine. I have a Linux server running many services, one of them is an SMB Server, so that I can access it's Shares just like in Windows and then update my files over network. Then my client called me, he want to do the same thing (connect via VPN, change his files on other WINDOWS computer over VPN). Now when he does that I trap the TCP request, the windoes client does indeed accepted the request, but returns nothing... just nothing... That was not the case with my Linux server. Then I try it with other computer(s) over several VPN hops away... same behavior. Linux servers will reply and publish it's shares without ANY PROBLEMS, Windows clients on the other hand replies nothing... Hope this clears things...

zzz2496

Ps: Windows Server has the ability to serve SMB shares over routed network, I've ran these kind of setups on some of my clients, some running Windows 2000 Server and several Windows 2003 Servers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #23

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Ahahaha, the thread starter have the same problem as I do... and I KNOW THE ANSWER !!!

The answer is: Microsoft SMB server for Windows clients DOES NOT SUPPORT ROUTING. IT ONLY SUPPORTS COMMUNICATION TO LOCAL NETWORK.

Here's how I "solve" mine. I have a Linux server running many services, one of them is an SMB Server, so that I can access it's Shares just like in Windows and then update my files over network. Then my client called me, he want to do the same thing (connect via VPN, change his files on other WINDOWS computer over VPN). Now when he does that I trap the TCP request, the windoes client does indeed accepted the request, but returns nothing... just nothing... That was not the case with my Linux server. Then I try it with other computer(s) over several VPN hops away... same behavior. Linux servers will reply and publish it's shares without ANY PROBLEMS, Windows clients on the other hand replies nothing... Hope this clears things...

zzz2496

Ps: Windows Server has the ability to serve SMB shares over routed network, I've ran these kind of setups on some of my clients, some running Windows 2000 Server and several Windows 2003 Servers.
Huh? lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Jan 2010   #24

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

See, SMB (Server Message Block) server, the process that responsible for our File and Print sharing is unable to operate in a routed network. At least this is the case for Windows Clients. So no matter what you do, you can't access your share over a routed network. On the other hand, Linux's SMB server implementation does support transfers over routed network, as is with Windows Server variant.

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #25

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
See, SMB (Server Message Block) server, the process that responsible for our File and Print sharing is unable to operate in a routed network. At least this is the case for Windows Clients. So no matter what you do, you can't access your share over a routed network. On the other hand, Linux's SMB server implementation does support transfers over routed network, as is with Windows Server variant.

zzz2496

I totally got to get a few dummy computers so that I can load Linux on it. I am only familar with the DOS and Windows systems. DOS 5.0 all the wa through Windows 3.1 to Windows 7.... Ahhh where have the years gone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #26

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Out of topic for a bit...

acurasd, you should... Using Linux will reopen those beautiful memories of typing DOS commands, setting up autoexec.bat file, making "profiles" to play games, use the EMM386.exe file to make High memory available for DOOM/DOOM II, editing config.sys files... aaaahhh the good old days. No more BSOD, no weird non functional devices. everything is manually configured, down to which IRQ/DMA numbers. I miss those days...

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Out of topic for a bit...

acurasd, you should... Using Linux will reopen those beautiful memories of typing DOS commands, setting up autoexec.bat file, making "profiles" to play games, use the EMM386.exe file to make High memory available for DOOM/DOOM II, editing config.sys files... aaaahhh the good old days. No more BSOD, no weird non functional devices. everything is manually configured, down to which IRQ/DMA numbers. I miss those days...

zzz2496
I miss the 90's dude where everything wasn't as complicated. I was in middle school. The little Ferbies were considrerd Security Threat becuase they repeated everything you said *lol* stupid government.

Yeah i remember that stuff about dos... I mean i can still play those games. Trust me, they are not lost.. My favorite are Unreal and Quake 3... I play those and then the newer ones are Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #28

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Actually the mode/router is doing the VPN work. The only Client software is on the Windows & machine I am using to "dial in" the VPN connection. There is no extra software running on the home PC's as the router does the magic. They are all Windows PC's and the VPN just connects the two systems togeather thus they should work exactly as if I was at home connected.

These are not server machines at home. They are just straight PC's with shares on them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #29

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Err.. the "Client" software IS the one that's doing all the work. In my Mikrotik router, it has it's own VPN client, so the router is the one that dials, connects, log, redials if disconnected, and route everything... all without my computer/iphone/laptop/ipod knowing anything about what goes where. You need to get a router that has a VPN client that has the ability to dial/redial and route+traffic filtering. The fact that your XBOX lost connection to your laptop is the indicator that your laptop is the one that's connecting to the VPN gateway, not your router. If the router does all the things needed, your laptop will be discoverable in your local LAN.

Here's the thing, Windows client have a SMB server process, the one that responsible for Print and File sharing, in our Windows "Client" variant, the SMB server does not support routed communication. Any request from a network beyond it's own subnet will be discarded. That is not the case when you use a Windows "Server". But hey... it's your network, see if you can make it work (access Windows share over VPN). I know for fact that the darn thing won't work over routed network is PITA... Good luck.

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2010   #30

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

My router is a Draytek 2820N, it has all this. My phone connects, my laptop connects. It has the client built in but it also has the server built it to it. You can say to it I want to connect now, Please dial out and call my IP that I am currently on as it is moving all the time. The client software on my Laptop came with the router and works with it.
No where was there any mention of an XBOX. The router IS the VPN connection. I can use IE to go and remote into it and see the connection is active and working and the speeds.
I will investigate the routed shares thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 VPN Help required




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: VPN Help required
Thread Forum
Help is required. Please help if you can BSOD Help and Support
Solved Realtek Help Required Please Sound & Audio
ADVICE Required please. Hardware & Devices
Validation Required Virtualization
Update not required. Windows Updates & Activation
Win 7 Key Not Required for Upgrades? Installation & Setup
Urgent help required please. General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33