Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 laptop on XP workgroup


16 Jan 2010   #11

W7 Ultimate 64bit W7 Premium 64bit W7 Premium 32bit WXP Home 32bit
 
 

You're running Ultimate so you might want to try Windows Virtual PC. That will see the workgroup just fine and you can give it access to the local drives.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2010   #12

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonmitch View Post
Hi,

Well, that didn't work for c$ - eg: \\PCName\c$

Does that little back-door no longer work from Windows 7 ?

Thanks,

Jon


By default, those hidden shares are blocked except for system services.

Try it with the IP address, per my above post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

OK - apologies for being clueless. 2 things working against me.

1) I have dynamic IP on the main home pc - and was using an old IP address.
2) the "C$" shortcut that worked on XP to give me access to the whole drive does not work.

Apart from that, I have successfully managed to connect to one of my shares.

Now to set static IP on the main home PCs & Macs .....

Thanks for the help so far, and I will report back on how well this goes.

Jon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jan 2010   #14

W7 Ultimate 64bit W7 Premium 64bit W7 Premium 32bit WXP Home 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonmitch View Post
OK - apologies for being clueless. 2 things working against me.

1) I have dynamic IP on the main home pc - and was using an old IP address.
2) the "C$" shortcut that worked on XP to give me access to the whole drive does not work.

Apart from that, I have successfully managed to connect to one of my shares.

Now to set static IP on the main home PCs & Macs .....

Thanks for the help so far, and I will report back on how well this goes.

Jon
You may still be able to use the \\PCName. If you share the drive on the XP machine give it a share name. Then use the \\PCName\sharename instead of the C$.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #15

Windows 7
 
 

Yeah, unfortunately, there isn't another way to get around this, AFAIK.

edit:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RedBirdDad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonmitch View Post
OK - apologies for being clueless. 2 things working against me.

1) I have dynamic IP on the main home pc - and was using an old IP address.
2) the "C$" shortcut that worked on XP to give me access to the whole drive does not work.

Apart from that, I have successfully managed to connect to one of my shares.

Now to set static IP on the main home PCs & Macs .....

Thanks for the help so far, and I will report back on how well this goes.

Jon
You may still be able to use the \\PCName. If you share the drive on the XP machine give it a share name. Then use the \\PCName\sharename instead of the C$.
Yeah, I think we addressed this earlier. Because he's part of a domain, Windows will append the domain to the PCNAME every time, which is why it won't work. While you can turn it off, it will screw with his day at work. Or his admin can simply override his changes as soon as he logs in at work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #16

W7 Ultimate 64bit W7 Premium 64bit W7 Premium 32bit WXP Home 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, there isn't another way to get around this, AFAIK.

edit:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RedBirdDad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonmitch View Post
OK - apologies for being clueless. 2 things working against me.

1) I have dynamic IP on the main home pc - and was using an old IP address.
2) the "C$" shortcut that worked on XP to give me access to the whole drive does not work.

Apart from that, I have successfully managed to connect to one of my shares.

Now to set static IP on the main home PCs & Macs .....

Thanks for the help so far, and I will report back on how well this goes.

Jon
You may still be able to use the \\PCName. If you share the drive on the XP machine give it a share name. Then use the \\PCName\sharename instead of the C$.
Yeah, I think we addressed this earlier. Because he's part of a domain, Windows will append the domain to the PCNAME every time, which is why it won't work. While you can turn it off, it will screw with his day at work. Or his admin can simply override his changes as soon as he logs in at work.
Must be something new in Windows 7. I used to do this on my work XP laptop. It's on a domain but was still able to access shares on my home workgroup that way. Oh well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #17

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RedBirdDad View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, there isn't another way to get around this, AFAIK.

edit:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RedBirdDad View Post

You may still be able to use the \\PCName. If you share the drive on the XP machine give it a share name. Then use the \\PCName\sharename instead of the C$.
Yeah, I think we addressed this earlier. Because he's part of a domain, Windows will append the domain to the PCNAME every time, which is why it won't work. While you can turn it off, it will screw with his day at work. Or his admin can simply override his changes as soon as he logs in at work.
Must be something new in Windows 7. I used to do this on my work XP laptop. It's on a domain but was still able to access shares on my home workgroup that way. Oh well.
It's not new to Windows 7. You are just lucky me thinks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #18

W7 Ultimate 64bit W7 Premium 64bit W7 Premium 32bit WXP Home 32bit
 
 

]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
It's not new to Windows 7. You are just lucky me thinks.

Guess what: It *does* work. If he opens windows explorer and types "\\PCName\SHARE NAME" in the address bar it will access the drive on the workgroup.

I just did with my work laptop which is on a domain.

You can't browse though. It won't show up in the network. But you can access it directly.

I knew I'd done this before. Old age hasn't rattled my brain too much yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #19

Windows 7
 
 

It's worth another try. I figured he's tried it before, but apparently it was trying to access the hidden share.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

As has been said the old root level shares are not available in windows 7 for security reasons. If you have to access the root of the drive concerned you should be able to re-share the root of a drive manually on your XP machines (use advanced sharing).

I do this quite often and just share the drive under a suitable name - my D: drive is shared under DATA for example.

If possible it is always better if you can share at a lower level that would restrict any potential unauthorised access issues
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 laptop on XP workgroup




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Win7 laptop on XP workgroup
Thread Forum
XP pc won't see workgroup and Win7 pc Network & Sharing
Trouble Mapping Networked DRIVES Over Win7 Workgroup Network & Sharing
Win7 workgroup network view issue Network & Sharing
Win7 can't access Vista Biz on Workgroup Network & Sharing
Workgroup with static ip, Win7, and legacy Windows system Network & Sharing
Can't connect win7 to workgroup Network & Sharing
XP looses Win7 workgroup Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33