I've been struggling with this for the past several hours, and I haven't had much luck looking for solutions online. I'd like to share my music and photo collection with my friends and family across the US. According to the help file, this should be possible with the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant. I was able to use it to get WMP streaming working OK for my mother's Windows Live account, but I don't want to just stream. I want to actually give them access to my files so they can copy it to their computers and use it.
The Help instructions don't seem very informative. I was able to successfully follow the instructions for setting up the Live account, linking the Live account, and granting access to files or folders to the Live user. But I don't know where to go from there. The Help instructions stop at the part where Person A grants access to Person B, but there's still the matter of explaining how Person B sees Person A's files. It wouldn't be in the Homegroup, since these aren't people on my LAN. And I can't extend a workgroup over the internet. And Live was specifically advertised as being able to address this scenario, but all of the instructions seem to imply that a shared Homegroup is required, which I think excludes computers outside the LAN. I certainly can't access my friends to fly to my house with their computers and join my Homegroup!
Has anybody gotten this to work? If so, could you show me how to do it?
Here are the steps I took:
1. Created Live ID
2. Installed Live ID assistant
3. Linked Live ID to my Windows 7 Account
4. Linked that same Live ID to my mom's Windows 7 Account on her computer
5. Tested WMP streaming. she was able to see my media as streams in WMP.
6. Right-clicked a folder
7. Clicked Sharing
8. Granted Read rights to the Live ID I created in step 1, which is linked to both my computer and my mother's computer
9. ???? I don't know what to do from here. My mom looked around for that folder to show up somewhere on her computer, but it never did. What now?
Thanks for your help in advance!