|19 Jan 2010||#1|
| || |
A VPN For Dummies
If you're behind a router and multiple firewalls, using multiple os's (win 7&vista) like me I would recommend LogMeIn "Hamachi" for a vpn. worked for me. Very easy to set up. I am not saying its the best, but the easiest found so far for non-techies like me.
Note: these instructions are for when you have windows firewall on both computers, which I know usually causes the most problem but hamachi auto formats nicely. Just make sure "don't allow exceptions" is unchecked- in other words "allow exceptions" on both computers.
easiest dummies setup
Instructions for the the vpn "server"
1.Download Hamachi - choose "unmanaged"
2. Install Hamachi- it is a ".msi" similar to an .exe
3. start hamachi, turn it on (click the hamachi "power button" in the upper left corner)
4. in hamachi click "network" then "create a new network"
5. Create a "network id" & pw. Important-seen some confusion on this, this network id & pw are brand new, don't use your existing network id or pw or homegraoup pw or any stuff like that, write down the network id & pw. you need this for your 'client'-leave hamachi & computer running
done with server
Client Setup (the "other" computer)
1. Install same hamachi program, start hamachi again-turn on w/'power button'
2. click "network", select "join a network"-DO NOT select create a new network
3. Enter your hamachi network id & pw from before.
you're done. to access your remote computer right click (left clicking pings for some reason) and select browse. make sure you're folders files are set for sharing.
hope this helps a little. it worked for me.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: A VPN For Dummies|
|Network discovery for dummies||Network & Sharing|
|Overclocking For Dummies!||PC Custom Builds and Overclocking|
|Context Menu Cleanup for Dummies||Customization|
|Registry Editing for Dummies||General Discussion|
|Sleep 101 for Dummies?||Performance & Maintenance|
|Networking For Dummies||Network & Sharing|
|networking for dummies||Network & Sharing|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.