If you're behind a router and multiple firewalls, using multiple os's (win 7&vista) like me I would recommend LogMeIn "Hamachi" for a vpn. worked for me. Very easy to set up. I am not saying its the best, but the easiest found so far for non-techies like me.
Note: these instructions are for when you have windows firewall on both computers
, which I know usually causes the most problem but hamachi auto formats nicely. Just make sure "don't allow exceptions" is unchecked- in other words "allow exceptions" on both computers.
easiest dummies setup
Instructions for the the vpn "server"
1.Download Hamachi - choose "unmanaged" https://secure.logmein.com/products/.../download.aspx
2. Install Hamachi- it is a ".msi" similar to an .exe
3. start hamachi, turn it on (click the hamachi "power button" in the upper left corner)
4. in hamachi click "network" then "create a new network"
5. Create a "network id" & pw. Important
-seen some confusion on this, this network id & pw are brand new
, don't use your existing network id or pw or homegraoup pw or any stuff like that, write down the network id & pw. you need this for your 'client'-
leave hamachi & computer running
done with server Client Setup (the "other" computer)
1. Install same hamachi program, start hamachi again-turn on w/'power button'
2. click "network", select "join a network
"-DO NOT select create a new network
3. Enter your hamachi network id & pw from before. you're done
. to access your remote computer right click (left clicking pings for some reason) and select browse.
make sure you're folders files are set for sharing.
hope this helps a little. it worked for me.