Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: [HELP NEEDED] Some files are invisible over my networks

02 Feb 2010   #1
denissianto

win7
 
 
[HELP NEEDED] Some files are invisible over my networks

Hi,

Could someone help me please,
I am using two computers at home, both Windows 7. One is pc, Other is laptop.

Problem is, some file that I downloaded off the net to my laptop, had a 'lock' symbol on its icons..


And those files with a lock symbol on it, prevented my pc to 'see' those files over the network.

My PC had no problem at all to see those shared folders, files, or applications in my laptop. EXCEPT the one with lock symbol.

What's strange, using the same method, downloading the same files off the net using IDM through my PC, the downloaded files didn't have lock symbol on it.
So this happens only at my laptop.

The only way to remove those lock symbol is to right click at it, properties, security, edit, add, input 'everyone', and the lock symbol is gone!
But this method costs me a lot of time to 'convert' each files to non-lock.

Please help how to make all files downloaded to my laptop to become normal (no lock symbol)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Feb 2010   #2
smilodon

WIN 7 7201 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by denissianto View Post
Hi,

Could someone help me please,
I am using two computers at home, both Windows 7. One is pc, Other is laptop.

Problem is, some file that I downloaded off the net to my laptop, had a 'lock' symbol on its icons..


And those files with a lock symbol on it, prevented my pc to 'see' those files over the network.

My PC had no problem at all to see those shared folders, files, or applications in my laptop. EXCEPT the one with lock symbol.

What's strange, using the same method, downloading the same files off the net using IDM through my PC, the downloaded files didn't have lock symbol on it.
So this happens only at my laptop.

The only way to remove those lock symbol is to right click at it, properties, security, edit, add, input 'everyone', and the lock symbol is gone!
But this method costs me a lot of time to 'convert' each files to non-lock.

Please help how to make all files downloaded to my laptop to become normal (no lock symbol)
We would be better able to assist you if we knew where the files are being downloaded from and what kind if files they are
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #3
denissianto

win7
 
 

Quote:
We would be better able to assist you if we knew where the files are being downloaded from and what kind if files they are
Those files are downloaded using Internet Download Manager,
downloaded to 'Desktop'. Then I changed download destination to "C:\Downloads\".
And still the same results, all downloaded files are given lock symbol.

The files that were given lock symbol were not only .RAR files but also .EXE files

Files that I downloaded such as picture files (.jpeg) straight from Firefox, was not given lock symbols.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Feb 2010   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by denissianto View Post
Quote:
We would be better able to assist you if we knew where the files are being downloaded from and what kind if files they are
Those files are downloaded using Internet Download Manager,
downloaded to 'Desktop'. Then I changed download destination to "C:\Downloads\".
And still the same results, all downloaded files are given lock symbol.

The files that were given lock symbol were not only .RAR files but also .EXE files

Files that I downloaded such as picture files (.jpeg) straight from Firefox, was not given lock symbols.
coulld you right click one of the files with a lock on it and go to properties. Tell us who the owners of the file are?

You might also wan to tr4y it without the download manager

If that doesnt work it might be you av thats blocking.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #5
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Right-click the file, Properties and at the bottom of the General tab, there is an unblock button, click it. See if that does anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #6
denissianto

win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
coulld you right click one of the files with a lock on it and go to properties. Tell us who the owners of the file are?

You might also wan to tr4y it without the download manager

If that doesnt work it might be you av thats blocking.

Ken
Padlocked files
Groups or user names:
- SYSTEM
- Myname (myname-PC\myname)
- Administrators (myname-PC\myname)

Normal files
Groups or user names:
- Everyone
- SYSTEM
- Myname (myname-PC\myname)
- Administrators (myname-PC\myname)

The difference between the two is, the padlocked files didn't have 'Everyone' on it.

I've now found a quick solution to this. Each and everytime I downloaded files off the net, I have to right click at the files, and choose 'homegroup' at 'share with'.

However, this thing still bothers me. I don't want to do this over and over each time I downloaded a few files.

I have uninstalled my av too, in case it was the culprit. It isn't.

So what could be the culprit ?
Please help me....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #7
denissianto

win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
Right-click the file, Properties and at the bottom of the General tab, there is an unblock button, click it. See if that does anything?
there is NO 'unblock button' at the bottom of the general tab...
can you provide more help to me .. please ?

is this related to my homegroup settings ?
I actually checked the settings and found no settings that would prevent my laptop's files to be seen by other computers...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 [HELP NEEDED] Some files are invisible over my networks




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed
Hi there, So in April I decided to go all in on an Alienware 18 which I use for business and pleasure. After a couple weeks I started noticing the computer would not wake from sleep during extended times such as over night. I would simply close the lid at night and open it in the morning where...
BSOD Help and Support
Files invisible to NP++..?
Background: The Win7 StickyNote application has crappy fonts, but on the web, I found a suggestion to use NotePad++ to edit a config file of some sort, (an .mui file. It was suggested that Notepad might corrupt the file, because it has binary components, but NP++ should handle it.) The file is:...
General Discussion
Help Needed : invisible user folder
G'day, I'm in need of some help. I'm not enirely sure how this happened, but one of my data folders appears to have become invisible. The folder in question is called General_Backup and resides on a RAID1 mechanical drive: Here you can see that when I attempt to create a folder of...
General Discussion
Help needed: Macbook networks OK with all machines except Windows 7 Ul
Hi all, I posted a long (probably too long) issue recently but despite nearly 200 people viewing it, no-one offered a solution. So I am re-posting a shorter, clearer statement here but below I also enclose the long full diagnostic information (at the bottom). At home we have 4 computers: a...
Network & Sharing
Invisible files
When I try to replace my lost files after i messed up my public documents, it says I need to replace them, even though I don't see the files. This makes me have to rename them, example: I try to REcreate my init.txt file for a game, since i don't see it anymore. When I try to REcreate it,...
General Discussion
Invisible Files
I have found several files that are installed on my system, that are not visible in a file manager. I have it set to show hidden files and protected operating system files, so what would be causing these files not to appear as they should? Is there something else that I can control that would...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App