Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: NETGEAR connection

04 Feb 2010   #1
wmauctions

 
 
NETGEAR connection

Hi All

Same old problem internet connection poor. I have a NETGEAR router and use WG311T Wireless PCI Adopters, have two other putters running on this router no problems, win7 very poor connection one bar at best, started out with the hoemgroup and after reading on this forum I switched to workgroup still poor contact any suggestions??

Don

PS
as usual I'm not as stupid as I sound......LOL
I know the only stupid question is the one not asked!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Feb 2010   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

You might want to try using the Vista drivers for your Netgear PCI adaptors, Win 7 may have installed a generic version. It may even help to install them in Vista compatiblity mode.

I posted a link to your Netgear PCI adaptor drivers below. Be sure and get the version number correct also. You can expand the view to see the other versions.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2567

What model and version is your Netgear router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #3
wmauctions

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
You might want to try using the Vista drivers for your Netgear PCI adaptors, Win 7 may have installed a generic version. It may even help to install them in Vista compatiblity mode.

I posted a link to your Netgear PCI adaptor drivers below. Be sure and get the version number correct also. You can expand the view to see the other versions.
Answer

What model and version is your Netgear router?

108 mbps WGT 642 v2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Feb 2010   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Are you sure that isn't a WGT624 v2?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #5
wmauctions

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Are you sure that isn't a WGT624 v2?
Yes 624 LOL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #6
mshelton5000

 
 

There's a couple of things that may be an issue here. My employer offers wireless packages for our services and I have this issue quite a bit. It is usually environmental and not always a driver issue.

So my first question to you would be where in relation to the router is your windows 7 computer?

The general rule of thumb is to subtract 10 feet of the routers effective radius for every wall and floor between it and the computer. Also ensure that your router is not near a TV, or a cordless phone operating at 2.4ghz on a channel close to or the same as the router. Be aware of duct work if you have central air and electronics in the direct path between the objects. Often times you will find a lot of small environmental factors add up to be one big problem.

Do you also have a lap top available? Try checking signal with another wireless device at the same location the windows 7 rig is at.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Ok good because the WGT642 doesn't exist from what I could tell.

The router should be working fine for you but... the drivers for the Netgear WG311 PCI adaptor apparently have not been tested or confirmed to work properly with Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...G311&os=64-bit

You might try installing the latest Vista drivers on the page I posted earlier. I'm sure you have tried moving the Win 7 machine closer to the router to see if the connection is any stronger?

If installing the Vista drivers doesn't change things, then try to install the drivers in Vista compatiblity mode. You can usually right click on the drivers and set to run in compatiblity mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #8
wmauctions

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Ok good because the WGT642 doesn't exist from what I could tell.

The router should be working fine for you but... the drivers for the Netgear WG311 PCI adaptor apparently have not been tested or confirmed to work properly with Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...G311&os=64-bit

You might try installing the latest Vista drivers on the page I posted earlier. I'm sure you have tried moving the Win 7 machine closer to the router to see if the connection is any stronger?

If installing the Vista drivers doesn't change things, then try to install the drivers in Vista compatiblity mode. You can usually right click on the drivers and set to run in compatiblity mode.

tried to install drivers you said too and would not install, install started and computer was to reboot and follow instructions on screne but after reboot nothing comes up and I tried to click on netgear wizard and nothing happens, tried twice , uninstalled and reinstalled?? As you said I coulden't find the drivers on NETGEAR site to be compatable with win7,or no updated drivers,

Don
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #9
wmauctions

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mshelton5000 View Post
There's a couple of things that may be an issue here. My employer offers wireless packages for our services and I have this issue quite a bit. It is usually environmental and not always a driver issue.

So my first question to you would be where in relation to the router is your windows 7 computer?

The general rule of thumb is to subtract 10 feet of the routers effective radius for every wall and floor between it and the computer. Also ensure that your router is not near a TV, or a cordless phone operating at 2.4ghz on a channel close to or the same as the router. Be aware of duct work if you have central air and electronics in the direct path between the objects. Often times you will find a lot of small environmental factors add up to be one big problem.

Do you also have a lap top available? Try checking signal with another wireless device at the same location the windows 7 rig is at.
About 25 feet and a direct line no walls, wifes laptop works fine in the same location as win7 computer

Don
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Here are some detailed instuctions on how to set up your Netgear PCI adaptor and how to update the drivers. Scroll down a bit for the instuctions.

http://www.netgear.com.cn/support/do...311T_Guide.pdf

It may also help to upgrade the firmware on your Netgear WGT624v2 router, the link for this is below.
Answer

If you can't get it working with this then you might consider upgrading your PCI adaptor to one that has some Windows 7 drivers and is more compatible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 NETGEAR connection




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wireless connection not connecting to Router (Netgear)
Greetings, My Laptop will not connect to my Netgear Router anymore today. It was working earlier (that's what mum said), and then it wouldn't connect anymore. All I get is the 6 bars that is grey with a yellow sun over it and under the Network Connections it say's its "Attempting to...
Network & Sharing
Issue with Netgear N300 wireless and dropping connection
Hi there, Recently bought an N300 wireless adapter for my PC. I have a normal router which I usually connect to the internet using an ethernet. But sometimes I go wireless. Initially it all worked wonderfully, without the ethernet my PC was able to pick up the wifi and I could browse,...
Network & Sharing
Netgear N600 router & Netgear WN3000 range extender
Should be easy!.... But I cannot get my NEW Netgear N600 router to communicate with a NEW Netgear WN 3000 RP extender. The instructions say to press the WPS button on the extender then the WPS button on the router. No WPS button exists on the router! The instructions also I can use any...
Network & Sharing
WPA connection to my Netgear Router does not appear as an option
I am trying to set up WPA security on my new Dell Inspiron Laptop, When I go to "Help and Support" for instructions it says: "The Set Up a Network wizard will guide you through setting up a security key. Click to open Set Up a Network." My problem is when I "Click to open Set up a...
Network & Sharing
Netgear WG311T help!
Ok, so I just built my awesome new computer. It's great and all, but at the moment, it only has a wired connection (so it's very close to my router now). One of the computers that I took apart here has a Netgear WG311T Wireless adapter, and I need drivers for it. HOWEVER, the netgear site needs...
Drivers
netgear wg111v2 with 7
Finally found a solution thru Netgear...little lengthy but worked: (I). LOGIN TO THE ROUTER: 1. On any wired computer (the computer should be connected to the router using an Ethernet cable), please open Internet Browser, like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari 2. Type in the...
Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App