Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remote Desktop Connection - Access Limited to one PC

08 Feb 2010   #1
ply5013

Windows 7
 
 
Remote Desktop Connection - Access Limited to one PC

I was using XP on my laptop on a docking station. My office upgraded me to a 7 pc so I could use the laptop to remote connect to while traveling. The new pc uses the IP that the laptop used to use. I connect perfectly from the laptop to the desktop with Remote Desktop Connection, but when I try to log in from other machines (I've tried Vista and a linux machine), I can't log in.

The log in screen shows up, but it tells me I have the wrong username and/or password when I use any machine other than my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Feb 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Welcome!

Make sure that on your host (the desktop), connecting from any version of Windows is allowed.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 57
Size:  48.0 KB

Hope this helps,
~JK


My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #3
ply5013

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Welcome!

Make sure that on your host (the desktop), connecting from any version of Windows is allowed.
Attachment 52935

Hope this helps,
~JK
Just double checked, and that option is allowed (has been).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Feb 2010   #4
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Okay, I found a thread on another forum that might help: remote desktop will not accept my password
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #5
ply5013

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks, but no luck. All those options have been tried. I'll keep looking...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #6
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ply5013 View Post
but when I try to log in from other machines (I've tried Vista and a linux machine), I can't log in.

The log in screen shows up, but it tells me I have the wrong username and/or password when I use any machine other than my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. So you RDP to the PC, and you tried to physically log onto another machine ???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #7
ply5013

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ply5013 View Post
but when I try to log in from other machines (I've tried Vista and a linux machine), I can't log in.

The log in screen shows up, but it tells me I have the wrong username and/or password when I use any machine other than my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. So you RDP to the PC, and you tried to physically log onto another machine ???
I'll try to clarify. I try to remote connect, and it connects to the PC with 7 and shows the log in screen with my username. When I type in my password, I get the message that the username or password is incorrect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

I found this somewhere and it seems to relate to your sign in problem.

Quoted from another site with important info highlighted in bold....You can only log into the Guest account remotely.
You will need too setup the access list for the remote users. You need to add your user name to the remote users list. This can be done by going too start - control panel - large icons, system and security,-security-allow remote access - remote tab- select users-add user. Once you add the remote user name it should work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #9
ply5013

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I found this somewhere and it seems to relate to your sign in problem.

You can only log into the Guest account remotely.
You will need too setup the access list for the remote users. You need to add your user name to the remote users list. This can be done by going too start - control panel - large icons, system and security,-security-allow remote access - remote tab- select users-add user. Once you add the remote user name it should work.
Thanks. I've set up the Guest account, but I won't be able to try it out until I get home tonight.

Will logging in as "guest" still allow me to have access to everything I would normally see (Outlook and pst files mostly).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ply5013 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I found this somewhere and it seems to relate to your sign in problem.

You can only log into the Guest account remotely.
You will need too setup the access list for the remote users. You need to add your user name to the remote users list. This can be done by going too start - control panel - large icons, system and security,-security-allow remote access - remote tab- select users-add user. Once you add the remote user name it should work.
Thanks. I've set up the Guest account, but I won't be able to try it out until I get home tonight.

Will logging in as "guest" still allow me to have access to everything I would normally see (Outlook and pst files mostly).
I'm not sure about access permissions using the Guest account with RDC but you should be able to access everything by adding the user name to the RDC accounts list.

That quote was from another site and I'm not too sure about using the Guest account " I did not actually say that..... it was simply quoted from another site" The horse is dead so please stop beating it guys.

I believe the rest of the info is absolutely correct, the requirement to add the Usernames to the RDC list is mandatory.

Adding the User names to the list is just another security layer and is required so I highlighted the important settings that need attention.

Hopefully adding the user name to the RDC list should allow you to access the machine, you may also need to create invitations and adjust the time limit if needed.

Follow the yellow highlight in the pictures to get the settings correct.


Attached Thumbnails
-rdc-adding-user-names.png   -rdc-create-invitations.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remote Desktop Connection - Access Limited to one PC




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Force connection to limited access network?
I'm trying to connect to a network with no Internet access. I do a demo in which I connect to a wifi router which 'manages' a very limited network with a web server and a dozen or so other PCs. This network does *not* have Internet access by design. With My Win 7 Ultimate/x64 Dell 6430U, I...
Network & Sharing
Identifying remote computer for Remote Desktop Connection
Remote Desktop Connection wants the IP or name of the remote computer to connect to. But suppose the remote computer is behind a router. The router has one WAN IP, say 192.45.63.98, which will be the same for all the computers connected off of that router, (when you google "my ip" from any of...
Network & Sharing
Care to recommend a remote access method beside Remote Desktop?
I have a home network of 4 Win 7 computers which I leave running when I'm away from home to provide data to my website, among other things. In the past, I've been using Remote Desktop to access my home computers. It works very well, but it's always a challenge getting everything set up to work...
Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection can't access PC 1, but PC 1 RDPs PC 2?
I can remote desktop from PC1 to PC2, however I cannot remote desktop from PC2 to PC1? I turned off Windows Firewall on PC1 and PC2 still couldn't remote desktop PC1. The ports are forwarded on both PCs. Any help please?
Network & Sharing
Limited Access to wireless connection
I am getting a limited access to my SMC8014WG wireless router from my new netbook with windows 7? is there a router upgrade required? can anyone help?
General Discussion
Using remote desktop connection to access Win 7 PC from Win XP PC?
I'm leaving on a trip this week and I'll be taking my laptop which runs Windows XP Professional. I am wanting to know if I can access my desktop computer at home which runs Windows 7 Ultimate with remote desktop.
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App