Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Homegroup issue

24 Mar 2010   #1
Dragonschild

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Homegroup issue

Ok, I did some looking around and couldn't find a thread that dealt with this yet. I may have missed it and if I did a link to the thread would be helpful and you have my apology for posting about something that has already been solved.

That being said here is my issue:

I just got my Homegroup set up yesterday I have 5 computers connected (3 wireless and 2 wired), the problem is that one of the computers can only see select computers on the homegroup and all i can do is see the folders that I can access. If I try to open the folders the computer acts like its doing something for a few seconds and then it just stops and doesn't open the folder. I checked to make sure all folders were shared and double checked my antivirus and firewall to make sure that they allowed it as well, even though the other computers on the homegroup can see each other and access all shared folders...even the shared folders on the one computer that cannot access anything which I thought was strange. I hope that I was clear in my description of the problem if not I will be glad to clarify.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Mar 2010   #2
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Switch from homegroup to workgroup and disable IPv6 in your LAN connection properties. That should do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2010   #3
Dragonschild

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Product FRED View Post
Switch from homegroup to workgroup and disable IPv6 in your LAN connection properties. That should do it.
So I should switch all the computers from homegroup to workgroup or just the one that is having trouble? Clearly I need to spend more time learning this new OS. This is also the first time I have set up an entire network with a purpose other than accessing the internet to surf the web, and I am learning quite a bit from this experience as well. I think when I get my HTPC set up with easy access to my media I will get into the OS exploration and I will be spending a lot of time reading these forums as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Mar 2010   #4
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Switch all of them. Workgroup ensures maximum compatibility and is what previous versions of Windows used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2010   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Actually there are many ways to fix this problem and getting rid of Homegroups isn't one of them.

This can be one of two problems.
1. Click Start. Search for run and press enter. In the field, type regedit and press OK.

2. In the registry, navigate to the following key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Services
\Tcpip6
\Parameters
3. In the right pane, right-click on “DisabledComponents” and select modify. In the value data field, type “0″ (without quotations) and press OK. If the value was set to ``FF``, it was turned off.
4. Reboot your computer and it should work. It did for me.

Or try this.... Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all of the files in this folder. Now restart the computer.

Other things to check...

Why can’t I access my HomeGroup?



There are several reasons why you can’t access your HomeGroup. Here are the most popular reasons for not being able to connect to your HomeGroup. If none of these troubleshooting tips work, try restarting your computer, or leave and then re-join the HomeGroup.


Check list for Homegroups, very good info here.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/wi...-to-homegroup/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2010   #6
Dragonschild

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Actually there are many ways to fix this problem and getting rid of Homegroups isn't one of them.

This can be one of two problems.
1. Click Start. Search for run and press enter. In the field, type regedit and press OK.

2. In the registry, navigate to the following key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Services
\Tcpip6
\Parameters
3. In the right pane, right-click on ďDisabledComponentsĒ and select modify. In the value data field, type ď0″ (without quotations) and press OK. If the value was set to ``FF``, it was turned off.
4. Reboot your computer and it should work. It did for me.

Or try this.... Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all of the files in this folder. Now restart the computer.

Other things to check...

Why canít I access my HomeGroup?




There are several reasons why you canít access your HomeGroup. Here are the most popular reasons for not being able to connect to your HomeGroup. If none of these troubleshooting tips work, try restarting your computer, or leave and then re-join the HomeGroup.


Check list for Homegroups, very good info here.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/wi...-to-homegroup/
Holy...wow! I will give this a try before I get rid of the homegroup and start a workgroup. it will have to be put on the back burner for right now though because when I went home yesterday to do some work on my computer I couldnt get anything to run. I know I should start another thread for this but seeing as its my own thread anyways and I have some people already replying I will throw it out there.
When I booted up my computer yesterday morning to do some video work every program that I started up would stop responding and I couldn't close it out. I tried task manager and end task, I also tried ending the process for the program in the process menu and neither way worked. So I restarted my computer, also I had to change my boot order from CD-HDD-Other to HDD-CD-Other because it wouldn't boot up for some reason, after the reboot the same thing would happen, I tried 5 different programs and the same happened with all of them. Suprisingly the only thing that would work right is my internet browsers( I checked both IE8 & Firefox), I could start them up visit websites and watch videos on youtube, listen to streaming music and when I was done I could close it out and it didn't hang or stop responding at all. Also another thing to note is that my CPU and RAM never spiked at all, during any of these program freeze-ups. Any thoughts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Well it certainly gives you more options than just getting rid of Homegroups now doesn't it? Hopefully you will get back to this and get Homegroups working. There are zero reasons not to use Homegroups if you are running Windows 7 machines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #8
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Well it certainly gives you more options than just getting rid of Homegroups now doesn't it? Hopefully you will get back to this and get Homegroups working. There are zero reasons not to use Homegroups if you are running Windows 7 machines.
Compatibility is one of the reasons not to. Switching to workgroup is the most immediate fix, usually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #9
Dragonschild

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Product FRED View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Well it certainly gives you more options than just getting rid of Homegroups now doesn't it? Hopefully you will get back to this and get Homegroups working. There are zero reasons not to use Homegroups if you are running Windows 7 machines.
Compatibility is one of the reasons not to. Switching to workgroup is the most immediate fix, usually.
There should be no compatibilty issues though because all the computers are running either x86 or x64 versions of windows 7. Oh well, I will give Chev65's method a try as soon as I figure out what is going on with my main machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #10
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonschild View Post
Ok, I did some looking around and couldn't find a thread that dealt with this yet. I may have missed it and if I did a link to the thread would be helpful and you have my apology for posting about something that has already been solved.

That being said here is my issue:

I just got my Homegroup set up yesterday I have 5 computers connected (3 wireless and 2 wired), the problem is that one of the computers can only see select computers on the homegroup and all i can do is see the folders that I can access. If I try to open the folders the computer acts like its doing something for a few seconds and then it just stops and doesn't open the folder. I checked to make sure all folders were shared and double checked my antivirus and firewall to make sure that they allowed it as well, even though the other computers on the homegroup can see each other and access all shared folders...even the shared folders on the one computer that cannot access anything which I thought was strange. I hope that I was clear in my description of the problem if not I will be glad to clarify.
Are all of the computers running Windows Seven? Home groups was designed for Windows Seven computers. You can make it work with computers of different OS's; but it is a hassle.

Chevy got me on the right track and I got my XP computer to work in homegroup with my Seven computer; but if I had several non Seven OS computers, I'd use workgroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Homegroup issue




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Another Homegroup issue
Have seen other post and forums regarding this issue but what worked for others have not worked for me. Most say to delete the idstore.sst file but I did that and it didn't fix the problem. Here's a synopsis of what I'm experiencing and what I've done. Unable to view homegroup password Unable...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup issue
I was setting up a Homegroup on my friends Win7 network. A printer was connected via USB to one computer, and shared on the Homegroup. Printing was fine from the computer the printer was attached to, but when any of the other 3 computers tried to print to it, the document went into the printer...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup Issue
After reformatting my laptops hard drive, it is unable to see the existing homegroup on my wireless network. Before the reformat, I was able to share files and printers using the existing homegroup on my main desktop computer. I have tried homegroup troubleshooter without success.
Network & Sharing
Homegroup Issue
I have two computers running Win7 that are joined in the same Homegroup. However, only one of the computers sees the other. It can move files back and forth as designed. The "other" computer says it is joined to the Homegroup, but that no other computers in the group are on line. I've run the...
Network & Sharing
HomeGroup Issue
Hey guys, first of all I'd like to say that I have used google, read almost all threads about this here but no luck for me. Firstly let me describe my situation: Computer one: This is the main computer, wired connection, printer is set in this computer etc. Computer two: The second...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup Issue
Hello, Hopefully this will be simple for someone to answer. Very new to my computer. I am running Windows 7 Pro on my Samsung Netbook and trying to connect to my wireless network at home. Under the homegroup settings I must have chosen to leave the homegroup because it shows under network sharing...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App