Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't use remote desktop connection - Need help


03 Apr 2010   #1
Gil

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Can't use remote desktop connection - Need help

Hi all.
I'm running two computers in WLAN both have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I've noticed that if I want to have remote desktop connection, I must have a password as a user on both computers while I don't want to have a password when I use the remote desktop connection.

Can someone help me please with this thing?

Thanks.

Gil.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Apr 2010   #2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Having a password makes a lot of sense from the security point of view. However, if you really dont want to set one, go through this tutorial (i believe it works for Windows 7).

Trick to Enable and Allow Windows XP and Vista Remote Desktop Login Without Password (or With Blank Null Password) My Digital Life
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #3
Gil

Windows 7 x64
 
 

yes it has sens to it but these computers are mine and I only use them therefore I don't like typing passwords each time I turn on the computer.
thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Apr 2010   #4
Gil

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I still need some help. I did use a password in order to use remote desktop but I got this error message:


can someone help me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #5

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Hi all.
I'm running two computers in WLAN both have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I've noticed that if I want to have remote desktop connection, I must have a password as a user on both computers while I don't want to have a password when I use the remote desktop connection.

Can someone help me please with this thing?

Thanks.

Gil.
Hi Gil... I've just read through this and Bill is giving some good advice... i hope you don't mind a little more noise...

First you have to enable Remote Desktop on the target machine (the one you're trying to access). This is done through System->Advanced->Remote.

And yes, you should be glad it's asking for passwords... Waking up in the morning to discover your data partitions have been deleted by some torknut in Outer Slobovia, would explain why...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #6
Gil

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Ok i think I'm on to something.
First, the remote connection was always set on Allow.



Second, this problem only occured when I stopped using cross cable and switched to WLAN. Now, here is what I think happens when I try to use remote:
once I initiate a remote, the remote computer logs off or something like that, and that action resets/shuts down the connection between the two. Cause right after the remote fails, I can't see the computer in my homegroup any longer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Pre
 
 
Logmein.

Have you try'd Logmein. Its free and easy, you can also connect To any PC you have set up on this.

Click here for link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #8

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Ok i think I'm on to something.
First, the remote connection was always set on Allow.

Second, this problem only occured when I stopped using cross cable and switched to WLAN. Now, here is what I think happens when I try to use remote:
once I initiate a remote, the remote computer logs off or something like that, and that action resets/shuts down the connection between the two. Cause right after the remote fails, I can't see the computer in my homegroup any longer.
The remote computer will lock it's desktop and it will stay locked until someone physically goes to the machine and re-enables it... this is perfectly normal in Remote Desktop connections.

Now... does the target machine have a password on the username?
If not, you'll probably have to set one. I had problems with mine not working until I created passwords on all my machines.

You also have to set specifically, each person who you will permit to access that machine by remote desktop. Each person needs an account on that machine and they have to be listed in the "allow" dialog... Click the "Select users" button and add them in there.

The user name and password you enter is that for the remote computer, not for the one you're sitting at... You'd be amazed how often I have to explain that to people

I doubt your wireless lan is the problem. It seems from your description it is making contact but the sequence of events is not completing to let you hook onto the other machine....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #9
Gil

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Ok i think I'm on to something.
First, the remote connection was always set on Allow.

Second, this problem only occured when I stopped using cross cable and switched to WLAN. Now, here is what I think happens when I try to use remote:
once I initiate a remote, the remote computer logs off or something like that, and that action resets/shuts down the connection between the two. Cause right after the remote fails, I can't see the computer in my homegroup any longer.
The remote computer will lock it's desktop and it will stay locked until someone physically goes to the machine and re-enables it... this is perfectly normal in Remote Desktop connections.

Now... does the target machine have a password on the username?
If not, you'll probably have to set one. I had problems with mine not working until I created passwords on all my machines.

You also have to set specifically, each person who you will permit to access that machine by remote desktop. Each person needs an account on that machine and they have to be listed in the "allow" dialog... Click the "Select users" button and add them in there.

The user name and password you enter is that for the remote computer, not for the one you're sitting at... You'd be amazed how often I have to explain that to people

I doubt your wireless lan is the problem. It seems from your description it is making contact but the sequence of events is not completing to let you hook onto the other machine....
I've set a password before I posted my previous message. I remember that before I used WLAN I didn't have to set users for access. Are you sure this is it? If I only changed from LAN to WLAN and never before had to set users for accessing remote desktop then i don't think I need now.
i don't need logmein, the computers are in the same house and Windows 7 has it right with remote desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #10

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I've set a password before I posted my previous message. I remember that before I used WLAN I didn't have to set users for access. Are you sure this is it? If I only changed from LAN to WLAN and never before had to set users for accessing remote desktop then i don't think I need now.
i don't need logmein, the computers are in the same house and Windows 7 has it right with remote desktop.

You were on a twisted pair before and now you have a router... ya?

That changes things rather a lot... for one thing you have a third party DHCP and DNS server running... your ip addresses are issued by the router and are now meaningful in accessing various devices... it really is quite different.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't use remote desktop connection - Need help




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can't use remote desktop connection - Need help
Thread Forum
Remote Desktop Connection Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection RDC/RDP - maybe not Network & Sharing
Can't set up a Remote Desktop Connection Network & Sharing
Solved Remote Desktop Connection Network & Sharing
How to set up a Remote Desktop Web Connection? Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33