Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Unable to change wifi password in windows 7

08 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Unable to change wifi password in windows 7

Hey all,

I recently changed the SSID and wep key (10 digit - passphrase generated) on my router (Linksys WAG54 v3. Firmware 1.00.65). All computers on the network have been updated successfully and are accessing the internet, except one.
It's a new Viao laptop, running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. It's been working fine, able to access the internet on this router, until I changed the SSID and password. Now whenever I try to connect, it only gives limited access.
The password has been triple checked.
Router has been reset multiple times.
I've disabled, re-enabled, repaired and even uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card.
All settings on the laptop have been cross-checked with other computers on the network, and it all matches exactly.
The laptop isn't receiving any packets from the router, and the router hasn't assigned an IP address or SSID to the laptop, indicating an authentication issue.
This is supported by network diagnostics, asking me to check the wep key, which I've obviously done many times.
On the router side, all other computers are having no problems, there are no restriction policies set up. I've released all clients and re-checked lease times and maximum allowable connections. Everything is 100% working for the other computers
I'm thinking this is a registry bug, as my girlfriend may have entered the Wep key incorrectly the first time, but I'm fresh out of ideas and haven't found any similar problem on the forums. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #2

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Can't you just log into the router and reset the settings?

If you don't have the password, you can perform a "hard" reset using the reset button on the back of the router, normally you need to hold this button down for up to 30 seconds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by notsograymatter View Post
Can't you just log into the router and reset the settings?

If you don't have the password, you can perform a "hard" reset using the reset button on the back of the router, normally you need to hold this button down for up to 30 seconds.
Won't reset the SSID and password as well? It is just one computer having the problem. Others on his net are fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7
 
 

done a hard reset. Resetting the password back to the old settings won't have any effect. I removed all networks from the wifi list on the laptop, which should in effect remove all stored keys
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

some extra info: on the DHCP routing table on the router, all other computers show up except for the one in question.
On the connected wireless clients list, I can see the MAC address for the computer in question, however the router cannot detect the SSID or computer name, so I'm pretty sure it's an authentication issue, but why is the router not accepting the Wep key rom this computer only?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #7

Windows 7 64x
 
 

Have you tried deleting your network profile from "Manage Wireless Networks" in the Network and Sharing Center and then reconnecting to your wireless network?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antharr View Post
Have you tried deleting your network profile from "Manage Wireless Networks" in the Network and Sharing Center and then reconnecting to your wireless network?
Of course. Have tried all standard solutions. network profile has been removed. Wifi adapter uninstalled and reinstalled. wireless networks removed and re-detected. Network diagnostics run. As I mentioned before (I think..) the result of diagnostics is it suggests I have the wrong key. of course I have triple checked and I am definitely entering the correct key
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #9

Windows 7
 
 

I've also tried many router based solutions. Changed the frequency channel etc in case it's interference. Doesn't make any difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2010   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maliusmaximus View Post
Hey all,

I recently changed the SSID and wep key (10 digit - passphrase generated) on my router (Linksys WAG54 v3. Firmware 1.00.65). All computers on the network have been updated successfully and are accessing the internet, except one.
It's a new Viao laptop, running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. It's been working fine, able to access the internet on this router, until I changed the SSID and password. Now whenever I try to connect, it only gives limited access.
The password has been triple checked.
Router has been reset multiple times.
I've disabled, re-enabled, repaired and even uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card.
All settings on the laptop have been cross-checked with other computers on the network, and it all matches exactly.
The laptop isn't receiving any packets from the router, and the router hasn't assigned an IP address or SSID to the laptop, indicating an authentication issue.
This is supported by network diagnostics, asking me to check the wep key, which I've obviously done many times.
On the router side, all other computers are having no problems, there are no restriction policies set up. I've released all clients and re-checked lease times and maximum allowable connections. Everything is 100% working for the other computers
I'm thinking this is a registry bug, as my girlfriend may have entered the Wep key incorrectly the first time, but I'm fresh out of ideas and haven't found any similar problem on the forums. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
It would be helpful if you could post a screen shot of your ipconfig from the Vaio, you will need to type ipconfig then "enter" into your command prompt then post the screen shot here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to change wifi password in windows 7





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33