Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Increase Local Network Speed?

11 Apr 2010   #1
Ross

Windows 7 Professional / Windows 7 Professional
 
 
Increase Local Network Speed?

Hi,

Hopefully there is a solution to this, as I have been trying for the last 24hrs to no avail!

My network is currently setup like this:

Router: D-Link DSL-2740B Wireless N Router apparently capable of 270mb/s
Xbox 360 with the official Wireless N Network Adaptor apparently capable of 300mb/s
Desktop with Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card apparently capable of 300mb/s

I am trying to stream media from my PC to my Xbox and I have managed to get the Xbox to find the PC and the content but it is buffering like hell. On both the PC and the Xbox 360, the connectivity tests give the result as the best connection possible.

I looked at my network card on my PC and it is reporting a speed of only 19.5mb/s the majority of the time but every so often spikes to 36mb/s, 75mb/s and 130mb/s. Is there anyway I can improve this so that it stays at a higher speed? As 19.5mb/s is no where near quick enough to run stream video clearly.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ross


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Apr 2010   #2
YakSipper

Win7
 
 

Setup the X-Box 360 to connect at half duplex instead of full. Then try your streaming out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Hi,

Hopefully there is a solution to this, as I have been trying for the last 24hrs to no avail!

My network is currently setup like this:

Router: D-Link 270B Wireless N Router apparently capable of 270mb/s
Xbox 360 with the official Wireless N Network Adaptor apparently capable of 300mb/s
Desktop with Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card apparently capable of 300mb/s

I am trying to stream media from my PC to my Xbox and I have managed to get the Xbox to find the PC and the content but it is buffering like hell. On both the PC and the Xbox 360, the connectivity tests give the result as the best connection possible.

I looked at my network card on my PC and it is reporting a speed of only 19.5mb/s the majority of the time but every so often spikes to 36mb/s, 75mb/s and 130mb/s. Is there anyway I can improve this so that it stays at a higher speed? As 19.5mb/s is no where near quick enough to run stream video clearly.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ross
Never heard of the D-link 270B. Are you sure that is correct because according to the D-link site it doesn't exist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Apr 2010   #4
Ross

Windows 7 Professional / Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Thanks for the replies.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YakSipper View Post
Setup the X-Box 360 to connect at half duplex instead of full. Then try your streaming out.
How would I go about doing that?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Hi,

Hopefully there is a solution to this, as I have been trying for the last 24hrs to no avail!

My network is currently setup like this:

Router: D-Link 270B Wireless N Router apparently capable of 270mb/s
Xbox 360 with the official Wireless N Network Adaptor apparently capable of 300mb/s
Desktop with Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card apparently capable of 300mb/s

I am trying to stream media from my PC to my Xbox and I have managed to get the Xbox to find the PC and the content but it is buffering like hell. On both the PC and the Xbox 360, the connectivity tests give the result as the best connection possible.

I looked at my network card on my PC and it is reporting a speed of only 19.5mb/s the majority of the time but every so often spikes to 36mb/s, 75mb/s and 130mb/s. Is there anyway I can improve this so that it stays at a higher speed? As 19.5mb/s is no where near quick enough to run stream video clearly.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ross
Never heard of the D-link 270B. Are you sure that is correct because according to the D-link site it doesn't exist.
Sorry it is the D-Link DSL 2740B: DSL-2740B: Wireless N ADSL2 Modem Router - Technical support D-Link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #5
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

According to the datasheet on your particular router, it's 4 times the speed of 802.11g (which is 54 megabits per second). So 4 x that is 216 megabits per second. Converting that to megabytes, comes out to approx 27 megabytes per second...MAXIMUM. Considering that ethernet at best gets around 80% efficiency, you can really only count on 27MB/s x .80 = 21.6 megabytes per second. And the speeds of devices slow down when they get further away from the router...so unless you are right next to the router with no interference you aren't going to hit 100% of these speeds.

So, when you say that you see speeds of 19.5 megabytes per second on your computer...that's about right. Those other figures are showing you cached speeds from within Windows and are simply inaccurate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #6
Ross

Windows 7 Professional / Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Ah ok. I take it any type of HD streaming from the PC to the Xbox would be out of the question then?

Thanks,

Ross
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

If you look on the page you posted there are firmware updates that help support WPA and WPA2 which is what Win 7 likes to use. I would definately try the newest version of firmware and see if that improves the situation.

You should be having no problems streaming between those devices. I have no such problems streaming from any of my machines including my Sony wireless laptop. I even tested movie streaming using Homegroups awhile back. I set up streaming movies from one machine to the other every which way possible. Even with five movies streaming at once I had zero problems.

DSL-2740B: Wireless N ADSL2 Modem Router - Technical support D-Link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #8
Ross

Windows 7 Professional / Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running Firmware Version: 2.73 (that's available only from the Polish D-Link site, as the UK site is rarely updated) and using WPA2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #9
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
According to the datasheet on your particular router, it's 4 times the speed of 802.11g (which is 54 megabits per second). So 4 x that is 216 megabits per second. Converting that to megabytes, comes out to approx 27 megabytes per second...MAXIMUM. Considering that ethernet at best gets around 80% efficiency, you can really only count on 27MB/s x .80 = 21.6 megabytes per second. And the speeds of devices slow down when they get further away from the router...so unless you are right next to the router with no interference you aren't going to hit 100% of these speeds.

So, when you say that you see speeds of 19.5 megabytes per second on your computer...that's about right. Those other figures are showing you cached speeds from within Windows and are simply inaccurate.

well said
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2010   #10
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ah ok. I take it any type of HD streaming from the PC to the Xbox would be out of the question then?

Thanks,

Ross
No, it should not be. The hard wired ethernet adapter in Xbox360's is 100 megabits per second and and far as I know...these are more than adequate for streaming. You can only count on about 12 megabytes per second with 100 megabit connections.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Increase Local Network Speed?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
how to increase PCI bus speed?
how can i increase PCI bus speed other than overclocking? or increase pci bandwidth?
Hardware & Devices
Will adding a 2nd network card improve local network transfer speed
This sounds really noobie of me but is it possible to improve local network transfer speed by adding a 2nd network card. I was planning to connect one exclusively for lan transfers and another one hooked to a separate wireless router. Right now only a maximum of 3 users can stream SD videos off...
Network & Sharing
How can I increase my download speed
How can I increase my download speed http://www.arabsdurra.org/Durra_images/files/imvz1zgynht22dfrdloj.bmp Are the roads please
Network & Sharing
Local Network speed problem on LAN
I am having trouble with transfer speeds on my local network. 3 x Windows 7 PC's and one Linux Ubuntu. All computers are connected via gbit LAN setup in homegroup sharing (Ubuntu PC via Samba share). When transfering files via Windows Explorer between the Windows PC's I get about 60-70 MB/s...
Network & Sharing
increase speed in Firefox
hey, can you help me, how can I increase my speed in firefox, I've heard that this can be done, but I do not know how :(. also, how could I disable windows defender in order to save resources?:geek:
Performance & Maintenance
Speed Increase
Normally my net speed is 29kB/s and i use uTorrent a lot so can i increase my speed?
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App