Quote: Originally Posted by zhane3
I don't have any other than windows defender/firewall which came with the system by default
You really should be running an Anti-virus program, you just may be infected and that's causing everything to slow down.
Download MSE (free) http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Update and run a "full" scan. MSE will disable the stand-alone Windows Defender. The same program is built into MSE.
You should also have an anti-spyware program running.
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop |MG| Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.45 Download
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan
, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.