|19 Apr 2010||#1|
| || |
Wireless channel 13
Ok, guys I was playing with my router as I was disappointed with it's perfomance.
First of all when I got it it was awfull.
Normal speed near router 10 mbps and only 1-2 mbps if I am just 15 meters apart from my router
So I called customer support, they recommended to change channel to 11.
I did so. It improved my perfomance a lot! now I can get 8-10 mbps from anywhere in the house.
But still sometimes, I have awfull perfomace. At those moments If I ping my router I get over 100 ms pings
So I downloaded program to monitor wireless networks on the neighbouhood.
First of all I discovered over a dozen of them...
And discovered that there were a lot of them which use channel 11 aswell.
So, that was probably why I had problems.
Channel 6 is out of way, as it was default one and awfull one.
Changed to channel 1. Lost connection in the other room
So now, I am thinking of channel 13. I have discovered only one network which uses it. And it seems to be far away from me. SO I changed router to use channel 13.
So far it seems to work great. Pingtest gives me Ping: 20 ms and Jitter : 1-3 on the farest corner of my house. whereas on channel 11 I always used to get jitter above 10 altaset.
So I deiced that Channel 13 was perfect for me.
And now guess what. I am going to another laptop which runs the same OS (Windows 7 32-bit) but it cant discover the network
So, my question is, How can I make PC to search channel 13?
Or can you give me other advices to improve perfomance.
Provider: Vrgin Media
Router : DIR-615; H/W: D2 ; Firmware: 1.00VG
|My System Specs|
|19 Apr 2010||#2|
| || |
If channel 13 is your only open channel, then it's your best bet. If you want more options in regards to your router, you should install 3rd party firmware on it. However, be sure to read the documentation beforehand if you're not familiar with firmware, because you can easily brick your router in the process. Yes, I mean turn your router into a worthless piece of plastic and circuits. Anyway, the best 3rd party firmware on the market is DD-WRT.
www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router
According to the router database, your router (DIR-615 D2) is supported. If you plan on installing the firmware, please read this entire installation wiki in order to understand what you're doing...
Installation - DD-WRT Wiki
The firmware basically turns on features that the manufacturer leaves out of your router's original configuration page. It may help you optimize your router's performance.
As far as the congestion of traffic in your area, interference can be caused by many things. It sounds like you're dealing with other wireless networks for the most part, but other things can cause interference as well. Telephone networks that run on the same frequency, microwaves, pretty much anything that transmits wireless signals and/or radiation.
On your other PC, you may have to manually search for your wireless network if it is not appearing in the list. To do this in the case that your network isn't broadcasting an SSID do this:
1. Click Start – Control Panel
2. Click “View network status and tasks” (in classic view double-click Network and Sharing Center )
3. From Network and Sharing Center left pane, click “Manage wireless Networks”
4. Click Add and then “Manually create Network profile“.
5. Enter the Network name (SSID) then the security type (ex: WEP,WPA,WPA-2)
6. Select Encryption Type (ex: AES or PSK)
7. Enter the Security Key/Passphrase. Optionally check the “Display characters” to display the security key that you type in.
8. To connect automatically to this network, check the box for “Start this connection automatically”
9. The next option is the key here. Check the box for “Connect if the network is not broadcasting” to connect to a network which doesn’t broadcast, in otherwords, you don’t find this network in the available network list.
10. In the next screen, select “Change connection settings” and choose “Connect automatically when network is in range”
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Wireless channel 13|
|Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains||Hardware & Devices|
|Best Wireless Channel to Use?||Network & Sharing|
|Automatic channel change/ Auto-tune to channel||Media Center|
|Pinnacle Studio 14 - copy left audio channel to right channel||Software|
|Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal||Network & Sharing|
|Can't find wireless channel 13||Network & Sharing|
|Channel 9 to swallow Channel 8, Channel 10, Coding4Fun||News|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.