Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 can't get online


23 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
 
 
Windows 7 can't get online

So I just brought a brand new PC running Windows 7 and I've got it plugged into my netgear router.

It seems happy, the network and sharing center shows that everything is fine, it can even spot my laptop connecting wirelessly to the router. It also says I'm connected to the internet. However if I try and open IE or Firefox or anything else that actually uses the internet nothing happens. They search for something that's never comes.

I've messed around for days now fiddling with options, turning things on and off, calling my ISP, uninstalling all antivirus software and turning firewalls off...

Oddly enough I've discovered I can ping websites like google and whatnot, just not actually browse them.

PLEASE HELP!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Apr 2010   #2

Windows 7 Profesional x86, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
 
 

Hi, and welcome .

Could you please fill in your System Specs in User CP, it's always helpful for us.

I would recommend you try a couple of things:

Scan for malware using Anti Malware bytes (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com copy the installer file onto the other PC), there is a very small chance your PC could have been infected before you setup your antivirus.

Try a repair install using the disks that came with your PC.

Make sure all the appropriate drivers are up to date.

Try connecting wirelessly.

May I ask how you got Firefox installed if you can't connect to the Internet?

Post back with any results.

As it is a new PC I would point you back to Dell because it probably means they've screwed up your computer.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oli
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
 
 

Thanks heaps for the reply, I've tried a couple of places before asking here and been ignored on every one.

I got Firefox by downloading the installer on another PC and moving it across.

So, onto stuff I tried...
I tried the Malware program which turned up nothing.

Alas I can't connect wirelessly at the moment due to not having an adapter, will purchase one soon.

I've updated the firmware on my router, but the drivers on the PC in question are all the ones that came with it. I'd imagine that they are current, seeing as I bought the PC new last week, but I'll check next time I get a spare hour to play around with it.

Lastly, a repair install? Is that something I don't know about or do you mean just formatting and reinstalling everything?

Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Apr 2010   #4

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

It sounds to me like your TCP/IP Stack might be malfunctioning. You can try to fix it before your do a complete repair install or format.

Quote:
Start, Search for "cmd", Right Click, Run as Administrator:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 


Usually when I see this no browser access when everything else seems to be working problem, resetting winsock usually fixes it.

1. Click start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.


2. Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note If the command is typed incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Type the command again. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt. Then, go to step 3.


3. Type exit, and then press ENTER. You should be prompted to reboot, if not you should reboot and test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2010   #6

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JFZeb View Post
So I just brought a brand new PC running Windows 7 and I've got it plugged into my netgear router.

It seems happy, the network and sharing center shows that everything is fine, it can even spot my laptop connecting wirelessly to the router. It also says I'm connected to the internet. However if I try and open IE or Firefox or anything else that actually uses the internet nothing happens. They search for something that's never comes.

I've messed around for days now fiddling with options, turning things on and off, calling my ISP, uninstalling all antivirus software and turning firewalls off...

Oddly enough I've discovered I can ping websites like google and whatnot, just not actually browse them.

PLEASE HELP!

If you can ping stuff...
a) you do have a working internet connection
b) it's not likely to be firmware or drivers ... so don't mess with that yet.
c) does IE connect and display web pages?

Most likely it's some kind of firewall exception problem...
is UPNP enabled in your Router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2010   #7

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
 
 

Cheers for the advice guys. I've yet to try the last two options as I finally got my hands on a wireless adapter which solved the problem immediately. Hopefully it'll stay like this.

It does make me somewhat concerned that I've got a problem with my ethernet port or something, but for the time being I can finally get all the stuff I need onto my new PC.


Thanks again, you guys have been great. I'll certainly be bookmarking these forums.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2011   #8

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Usually when I see this no browser access when everything else seems to be working problem, resetting winsock usually fixes it.

1. Click start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.


2. Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note If the command is typed incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Type the command again. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt. Then, go to step 3.


3. Type exit, and then press ENTER. You should be prompted to reboot, if not you should reboot and test.
I had this problem and this helped me out. Back working again.. Thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Meah View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Usually when I see this no browser access when everything else seems to be working problem, resetting winsock usually fixes it.

1. Click start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, click Run as administrator, and then press Continue.


2. Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note If the command is typed incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Type the command again. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt. Then, go to step 3.


3. Type exit, and then press ENTER. You should be prompted to reboot, if not you should reboot and test.
I had this problem and this helped me out. Back working again.. Thank you
Glad to hear that worked for you Meah.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 can't get online




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 can't get online
Thread Forum
Activate Windows 7 Online Tutorials
On Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Live Mail 2011 won't work online Browsers & Mail
Solved BSOD playing Wizardry Online and Ragnarok Online 2 BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 online validation help Windows Updates & Activation
DOOM On Windows 7 + Online Gaming
i'm online but not for windows 7 Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33