Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No network adapter in Device manager

23 Apr 2010   #1
TheOnion

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
No network adapter in Device manager

Hello,

After using system restore my internet connection has a red x. I have seen this before so I went into device manager so see what's up. There is no network adapter listed. I did a scan for hardware changed and nothing. I have an Atheros network driver folder on my desktop so I ran the setup.exe and it appeared to install the driver. After a reboot nothing happens.

The windows 7 troubleshooter tells me, "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

The LAN connection is on my Asus p5ql-pro motherboard and I have downloaded the most recent driver from the website.

please help.$


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Apr 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnion View Post
Hello,

After using system restore my internet connection has a red x. I have seen this before so I went into device manager so see what's up. There is no network adapter listed. I did a scan for hardware changed and nothing. I have an Atheros network driver folder on my desktop so I ran the setup.exe and it appeared to install the driver. After a reboot nothing happens.

The windows 7 troubleshooter tells me, "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

The LAN connection is on my Asus p5ql-pro motherboard and I have downloaded the most recent driver from the website.

please help.$
Was the driver you installed a win 7 driver? If not you need to install it in compatibility mode. To do that right click the installer>properties>compatibility>choose OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #3
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Make a screenshot of Device manager, expand the Network adapters subtree if it exists.

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Apr 2010   #4
Casca

 

NIC is onboard? There may not be a cause/effect relationship with system restore. Could be a bad port.

Remove LAN cable from port.
Remove power cord from PC.
Wait 10 minutes, return power cord then LAN cable.

Confirm LAN port enabled in BIOS.

Restart Windows.

Report.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #5
TheOnion

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Make a screenshot of Device manager, expand the Network adapters subtree if it exists.

zzz2496
There is no Network Adapters subtree. That's my problem. If it was there I would be able to go into the properties and fix the driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #6
TheOnion

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnion View Post
Hello,

After using system restore my internet connection has a red x. I have seen this before so I went into device manager so see what's up. There is no network adapter listed. I did a scan for hardware changed and nothing. I have an Atheros network driver folder on my desktop so I ran the setup.exe and it appeared to install the driver. After a reboot nothing happens.

The windows 7 troubleshooter tells me, "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

The LAN connection is on my Asus p5ql-pro motherboard and I have downloaded the most recent driver from the website.

please help.$
Was the driver you installed a win 7 driver? If not you need to install it in compatibility mode. To do that right click the installer>properties>compatibility>choose OS.
The driver was a Win 7 driver but I tried this anyway. It did not help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #7
Casca

 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2010   #8
TheOnion

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

I did the power cord and network cable thing and i don't think that worked. However after that, strictly for shits and giggles I didn't another restore to a backup from earlier this morning. After that finished I had internet again. I have no idea what changed but it is fixed.

Thanks for all your help guys
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No network adapter in Device manager




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I reinstall 'network adapter' from device manager?
So, I just deleted (including from my computer) this 'atheros' thing which is under the network adapter.. now. I can only use broadband but not wireless.. what do i do? so there is basically i cannot see the network adapter section anymore. however whenever I plug in the broadband it came out like...
Network & Sharing
network adapter missing from device manager
my power flickered off and on really quick and when my pc came back up, the internet would not work. after investigating i found out that the network adapter is missing from the device manager. i have tried to re-download drivers for my network adapter/mobo and this has not solved my problem. i...
Network & Sharing
Network adapter not showing on device manager
Hi, yesterday i got my friend to download windows 7 on my mac via bootcamp. i got it back today and i tried my wireless at home but didn't work. so i tried LAN line as well, which didn't work either. i went through few sites, they all told me to go on device manager and update my drives. The...
Network & Sharing
Missing network adapter, but device manager OK
Hi all. A very weird problem just happens to my desktop, I hope anyone could help me to avoid a complete reinstall. It was working fine, I didn't install or change nothing (mostly is used as MediaCenter). It was working perfectly without any change for months. Then I shutdown one day as always,...
Network & Sharing
network adapter not showing up in device manager
http://cdn.sevenforums.com/images/styles/window7/statusicon/user_online.gif http://cdn.sevenforums.com/images/styles/window7/buttons/reputation.gif http://cdn.sevenforums.com/images/styles/window7/buttons/report.gif Marvell...
Hardware & Devices
Network Adapter Not in Device Manager
I've installed windows 7 as upgrade to vista home premium in my Toshiba Satellite P205D-7802 laptop. Most everything seems to be running fine. My big problem is my network adapters (for wired and wireless - they are different) don't show up at all in the device manager? I understand the whole...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App