Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't Write to Shared Folder

06 May 2010   #1

 
 
Can't Write to Shared Folder

I'm having no luck making a Windows 7 folder write accessible to XP. I've turned off password protected sharing and given both "Everyone" and "Guest" read/write permission. I can access the folder, but whenever I try to transfer a file to it, I get:

"Error Copying File or Folder - Cannot copy ____: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Any suggestions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 May 2010   #2

 
 

Anyone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Network access requires a password. Make sure you have the same Account (username and password) on both machines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 May 2010   #4

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Network access requires a password.
Really? I can access the folder just fine, I just can't write to it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Make sure you have the same Account (username and password) on both machines.
That sounds pretty inconvenient. Are you sure about that?


I've never had a problem writing to shared folders from XP to XP, or 7 to XP for that matter. What's the issue with writing from XP to 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2010   #5

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xichael View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Network access requires a password.
Really? I can access the folder just fine, I just can't write to it.
If you could than someone not authorized could write to it and cause a lot of issues for you. Or a virus could attack your system. A password is a good thing.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xichael View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Make sure you have the same Account (username and password) on both machines.
That sounds pretty inconvenient. Are you sure about that?
This is the way it has always been. You need the same user accounts on both machines to access data on each machine.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xichael View Post
I've never had a problem writing to shared folders from XP to XP, or 7 to XP for that matter. What's the issue with writing from XP to 7?
Maybe you were using simple sharing in XP? That makes it easy to share things but it is still using passwords in the background. Windows 7 HomeGroup replaces that and make Windows 7 machines easy to connect but it is much harder to use and get XP machines to work with HomeGroup. Most everyone that needs access to XP and 7 machines turns HomeGroup off and uses Workgroups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2010   #6

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
This is the way it has always been. You need the same user accounts on both machines to access data on each machine.
That's never been the case for me, in years of sharing resources between dozens of computers with different user accounts.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Maybe you were using simple sharing in XP? That makes it easy to share things but it is still using passwords in the background.
Never heard of it. It must be on by default, as I've never had to set it up.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Windows 7 HomeGroup replaces that and make Windows 7 machines easy to connect but it is much harder to use and get XP machines to work with HomeGroup. Most everyone that needs access to XP and 7 machines turns HomeGroup off and uses Workgroups.
That's what I've done. I only have one machine running 7, so I'm just using workgroups. It's working great with the exception that I can't write to this folder I have shared on 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Right click on that folder and go to the attrubaries... make sure its not set to read only
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2010   #8

 
 

Afraid that's not the problem.

Any other ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 May 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

How about in this setting?

how about change this to full control on the folder you want to read/write????


Attached Thumbnails
Can't Write to Shared Folder-sharing.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2010   #10

 
 

It worked! Thanks, acurasd!

See, I was assuming that this would be enough:



And I suppose it would be if it actually did what it says. But I take it that it will only work for another Windows 7 machine? Are those "advanced sharing" permissions only necessary for XP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't Write to Shared Folder




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can't Write to Shared Folder
Thread Forum
New files aren't shared in shared folder Network & Sharing
Solved Shared drive doesn't let to write or delete! Network & Sharing
Unable to access shared folder but able to access shared printer Network & Sharing
Why is the User folder shared when you share a folder? Network & Sharing
write to system32 folder General Discussion
Shared Shortcut to non-shared folder. Network & Sharing
Homegroup shared libraries; Write protection? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33