Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove lock icon over my folder


05 May 2009   #1

Windows 7 build 7127 x64
 
 
How to remove lock icon over my folder

Hi,

I am trying to figure how to remove the lock icon over some of my folders.



It appear if I share one of my folder with the Homegroup and unshare it later. I think it is because when I share it with my homegroup, the Everyone/Cooperation (I'm not sure to use the good word, I'm using the french version) option disapear and I can't add it anymore.

By default :



Once shared and unshared : (can't add Everyone - Cooperation, which cause I presume the lock on the folder)




My only option is to share it again with the Homegroup or with Everyone with Read instead of Cooperation. I don't want this folder to be shared anymore. Does anyone have a clue?

Pom

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 May 2009   #2

 

You'll have to change the permissions to allow every body full access to the folder again - but that can be tricky, as the HomeGroup is also there, and as long as that user is there it may not let you add everybody with full permissions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2009   #3

Windows 7 build 7127 x64
 
 

It is working, I don't know what "Everyone/Read" exactly mean though. The other computer on the Homegroup can't read it, it is what I want but I found the process confusing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 May 2010   #4

windows seven
 
 
remove locks on windows seven not shared folders

it's more simple than that.. don't play with folders restrictions..
just go to the folder properties at sharing tab, click advanced sharing and unmark "Share this folder", then click apply...
that's all.. so.. properties/sharing/advanced sharing/share this folder

hope this helps...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

I got rid of the locks by adding "Authenticated Users" to the security permissions on the directories
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #6

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Well done hornbyOO....

That is the quickest and easiest solution to ths problem that I have come across.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2010   #7

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hornbyOO View Post
I got rid of the locks by adding "Authenticated Users" to the security permissions on the directories
Could you please clarify what you are referring to? Do you have to do this to each folder with the lock icon, or can you apply this change globally? I assume you mean, Properties>Security>Edit>Add: Authenticated Users>Hit OK when warned that this will lower Security>then OK again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hornbyOO View Post
I got rid of the locks by adding "Authenticated Users" to the security permissions on the directories
Could you please clarify what you are referring to? Do you have to do this to each folder with the lock icon, or can you apply this change globally? I assume you mean,

Properties>Security>Edit>Add: Authenticated Users>Hit OK when warned that this will lower Security>then OK again?
THANK YOU! I could not figure out why I couldn't share anything from my windows 7 comp. Pretty dumb that we have to do this, but at least I know the solution now.

And nabilalk, yes you have to do on each folder UNLESS you do it for the top of the folder hierarchy (most likely your "C:" drive) which is what I did.

Now for some keyword so that google can find this post: windows 7 sharing, sharing from windows 7, can't see files from windows 7 share, sharing not working windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #9

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by buchannon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hornbyOO View Post
I got rid of the locks by adding "Authenticated Users" to the security permissions on the directories
Could you please clarify what you are referring to? Do you have to do this to each folder with the lock icon, or can you apply this change globally? I assume you mean,

Properties>Security>Edit>Add: Authenticated Users>Hit OK when warned that this will lower Security>then OK again?
THANK YOU! I could not figure out why I couldn't share anything from my windows 7 comp. Pretty dumb that we have to do this, but at least I know the solution now.

And nabilalk, yes you have to do on each folder UNLESS you do it for the top of the folder hierarchy (most likely your "C:" drive) which is what I did.

Now for some keyword so that google can find this post: windows 7 sharing, sharing from windows 7, can't see files from windows 7 share, sharing not working windows 7
I'm getting an error when trying to apply this fix to the C drive, since some items in the Windows folder are in use. Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2011   #10

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nabilalk View Post
I'm getting an error when trying to apply this fix to the C drive, since some items in the Windows folder are in use. Any ideas?
Have you tried taking ownership of the folder? I was getting errors applying this fix but resolved it by taking ownership first and then applying the fix. I was working on a test user's folder and that may have been why that was neccessary. ie logged in as one user, editing another user's folder permissions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove lock icon over my folder




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How to remove lock icon over my folder
Thread Forum
Users folder not visible in explorer,lock on admin's user folder icon? System Security
How to Remove a Lock Icon from Drive or Folder General Discussion
Why do I have lock icons on some folder & how do I remove them General Discussion
What is that lock icon on my folder and how do I remove it or unlock i General Discussion
LOCK icon on folder General Discussion
How to remove lock icon from folders? General Discussion
Remove Lock from Folder General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33