Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless connection unstable and constant dropping in signal quality


29 May 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Wireless connection unstable and constant dropping in signal quality

I have had the WRT160N for about a year now, and it seems to be working fine until about 2 weeks ago. I did not change anything on my notebook nor on the router setup.



The only thing that i can think of is that I have recently purchased a diNovo Mini keyboard from logitech. But i dont think thats the reason for this.

The problem is that while the LAN connections are fine without any unstability, the wireless signal always drops for like 2 seconds and return to normal.



I have tried downloading some files on both LAN and wireless and i can clearly see that there is no dropping in signal for the LAN, but when i see the wireless, it keeps going down to 0 (kps) and then returning back to normal speed.



I am currently using custom firmwareD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std.



Also, both machines are using windows 7 professional edition. And i have just finished running the "check for updated driver" on my adapter and it said it that my current driver is up-to-date already.



Does anyone know how to solve this problme? if so please shine a light to me because this is really getting annoying.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 May 2010   #2

Win 7 Ult x64, Win 8.1 Blue
 
 

Could be that someone else close by began using wireless 2 weeks ago and is causing channel crossover. Use the inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner tool to see the channels in use around you. Choose an alternate channel with less crossover and you should see better, more constant connection.

Post back to let us know if this helps with your issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Ok, so i have tried to use the inSSIDer wi-fi scanner tool and i noticed that there are alot of people using the same channel as i was using (channel 6). After i changed it to channel 10 the wireless is stable now.

Here is a screen shot after i have changed the channel to 10.



Is there a better to choose from except for channel 10? or what im doing is already the best?

And for some reason, when i tried to use channel 11 my other notebook which is a macbook Pro 13 cannot find my wireless router. Is it because it does not support the high number of channels? or is there something i can do to make it work with the mac?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 May 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

That may be the case.. the aircard that your MAC is holding may not support the higher channels. You got to remember the Firmware on your router is umm on steroids.. it can do alot more then most wireless adapters can't...

so i say that if channel 10 is working for you and it seems stable... then go for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #5
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bh4mr1ck View Post
Could be that someone else close by began using wireless 2 weeks ago and is causing channel crossover. Use the inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner tool to see the channels in use around you. Choose an alternate channel with less crossover and you should see better, more constant connection.

Post back to let us know if this helps with your issue.
Great Tool!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #6

Win 7 Ult x64, Win 8.1 Blue
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Plater View Post
Ok, so i have tried to use the inSSIDer wi-fi scanner tool and i noticed that there are alot of people using the same channel as i was using (channel 6). After i changed it to channel 10 the wireless is stable now.

Here is a screen shot after i have changed the channel to 10.



Is there a better to choose from except for channel 10? or what im doing is already the best?

And for some reason, when i tried to use channel 11 my other notebook which is a macbook Pro 13 cannot find my wireless router. Is it because it does not support the high number of channels? or is there something i can do to make it work with the mac?
Could be that the Mac doesn't support it. I don't know that much about Macs, sorry.
I am glad that you were able to get a channel that gets you a better connection. Your area is fairly saturated in the 2.4Ghz band. If you get any more traffic you may want to consider something in the 5Ghz band.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post

Great Tool!

Thanks. Comes in handy diagnosing wireless issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bh4mr1ck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Plater View Post
Ok, so i have tried to use the inSSIDer wi-fi scanner tool and i noticed that there are alot of people using the same channel as i was using (channel 6). After i changed it to channel 10 the wireless is stable now.

Here is a screen shot after i have changed the channel to 10.



Is there a better to choose from except for channel 10? or what im doing is already the best?

And for some reason, when i tried to use channel 11 my other notebook which is a macbook Pro 13 cannot find my wireless router. Is it because it does not support the high number of channels? or is there something i can do to make it work with the mac?
Could be that the Mac doesn't support it. I don't know that much about Macs, sorry.
I am glad that you were able to get a channel that gets you a better connection. Your area is fairly saturated in the 2.4Ghz band. If you get any more traffic you may want to consider something in the 5Ghz band.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post

Great Tool!

Thanks. Comes in handy diagnosing wireless issues.
Another quick question. One is that does all wireless adapter is compatible with 5.0ghz band? and also, if there anyone out there also using a macbook pro can tell me if MACs can use with 5.0Ghz band.

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2010   #8
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Plater View Post
.
Another quick question. One is that does all wireless adapter is compatible with 5.0ghz band? and also, if there anyone out there also using a macbook pro can tell me if MACs can use with 5.0Ghz band.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to see if yours handle 5Ghz in the Device Manager, have a look at the parameters of your wireless card and it will tells you whenever it is 2,4Ghz, or both.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless connection unstable and constant dropping in signal quality




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wireless connection unstable and constant dropping in signal quality
Thread Forum
Wired Ethernet connection unstable, dropping every 5 sec and reconects Network & Sharing
Unstable internet connection when changing from cable to wireless Network & Sharing
Wireless Signal keep dropping. Network & Sharing
Wireless Connection dropping intermittently Network & Sharing
wireless connection keeps dropping Network & Sharing
Windows 7 dropping wireless connection Network & Sharing
Dropping Wireless Connection Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33