I'm running 2005 SQL server on Windows 2008 server. I have both Windows 7 and XP ODBC connections to the server. Everything was working fine but the server was running slow so I tried a windows update. The update made my ODBC connection go flakey, but only on Windows 7. Testing the connection would be successful, for several tests, then fail and you would have to reboot the workstation. I have both SQL server and Native Client. Now I am unable to create a connection with either. I've uninstalled the updates which hasn't helped. It seems like the update changed a security setting somewhere. Creating a new connection now fails with SQL state 08001 and server error 10060
I have the system working now with both Win 7 and XP Pro but not really happy with the fix. The SQL passwords seem to be stored in a different encryption for these 2 OS's If I change the password on the SQL server then let Win 7 rebuild it the system works ,, but you can't use that login on XP Pro without doing the same thing over again.