Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Internet Connection Sharing: Problems

14 Jun 2010   #1

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Internet Connection Sharing: Problems

Hey guys,

Recently I have a problem. I'm running Windows 7 x64 on my desktop, my motherboard has 2 LAN ports, one connected to my school intranet (and internet subsequently), and the other connected to my brother's laptop (Windows 7 32-bit).

I enabled internet connection sharing @ my school LAN, to share it to my brother's computer. Recently two problems have surfaced:

1. My brother's computer would not be able to surf the internet after a while of internet usage (happens anytime between 15 minutes to 1 hour after first using the net). Current connections still continue (i.e. Youtube continues loading), but new connections (loading a webpage etc) can't be established. In this case I have to disable and reenable the internet connection sharing for the internet to work. I tried googling a lot but to no avail.

2. My computer is starting to get very slow DNS lookups; google.com takes 3 seconds to load (takes 0.1 second on my brother's computer). This happens in IE, Firefox and Chrome. I tried flushing the DNS, even changing to OpenDNS, but it still doesn't work. (This might not be related to ICS)

Anyone knows of solutions to such problems? Really appreciate it. Thank you!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jun 2010   #2

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Anyone? I'll try to provide as much information as possible! The Slow DNS lookups is the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Why not just take the cable connected to your brother’s laptop out of the 2 LAN port on your machine and directly connect it to the network? Seems weird that you would make another machine go through your laptop if you have a connection to the internet??? Maybe I am missing something??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jun 2010   #4

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I'm living in a hostel, and each room is only allocated one LAN port. We're staying in a single room to save money. Hence the need to set up connection sharing.. ><
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Artix View Post
I'm living in a hostel, and each room is only allocated one LAN port. We're staying in a single room to save money. Hence the need to set up connection sharing.. ><
Instead of going through the headache of trying to get this to work, I would just buy a $10 hub from a computer store. It may only have 4 ports on it but you will be able to connect both machines. Heck the computer store my have an old one they can’t sell and give it to you….I know I have several.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Artix View Post
Anyone? I'll try to provide as much information as possible! The Slow DNS lookups is the problem.
Does this information include which A/V software is being used?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Instead of going through the headache of trying to get this to work, I would just buy a $10 hub from a computer store. It may only have 4 ports on it but you will be able to connect both machines. Heck the computer store my have an old one they can’t sell and give it to you….I know I have several.
That sounds cool, but I'm not sure whether my school network would allow hubs. Do I need to configure it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Does this information include which A/V software is being used?
MSE. No other Firewall/AV installed. Windows Firewall is turned on. And I can confirm that the slow DNS lookups happens when connection sharing is enabled.

Some googling I did a while back pointed me to this service that connection sharing requires; disabling it seems to solve the problem (according to other people), but I can't since I need to share the connection anyway..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #8

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Artix View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Instead of going through the headache of trying to get this to work, I would just buy a $10 hub from a computer store. It may only have 4 ports on it but you will be able to connect both machines. Heck the computer store my have an old one they can’t sell and give it to you….I know I have several.
That sounds cool, but I'm not sure whether my school network would allow hubs. Do I need to configure it?
No configuration needed and no one will ever know about the hub unless you tell someone. If you get a real cheap one it will just basically share the connection.

Since it is just for internet you can get one like this, expensive from Amazon (this is only an example):

Amazon.com: Dynex DX-EHB4 - Hub - 4 ports - Ethernet - 10Base-T…
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #9

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #10

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Ok, I will go and buy one when I have the time.

But isn't it weird that ICS is causing this problem? Another one of the annoying problems in Windows that isn't fixed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Internet Connection Sharing: Problems




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Internet Connection Sharing: Problems
Thread Forum
Internet Connection Sharing between 7 and XP Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing: No internet Access Network & Sharing
Sharing Internet Connection Network & Sharing
Problems with Internet Connection Sharing through WiFi Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing problems Network & Sharing
internet connection sharing Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33