Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Slow speeds copying files locally on a network drive


16 Jun 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Slow speeds copying files locally on a network drive

I set up a network folder on one of my computers and I use another computer on the network to manage the files on it. It all works fine until I try to copy a file or folder from one location on the network drive to another location on the same network drive. Instead of copying the file locally, the network computer sends the file to my remote computer, which sends it back to the same network computer. This means it takes ages to copy large files because they go over the network completely unnecessarily. Is there a way to fix this issue? Can I tell Windows not to transfer files across the network when it's unnecessary? Thanks for any help!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Altay View Post
I set up a network folder on one of my computers and I use another computer on the network to manage the files on it. It all works fine until I try to copy a file or folder from one location on the network drive to another location on the same network drive. Instead of copying the file locally, the network computer sends the file to my remote computer, which sends it back to the same network computer. This means it takes ages to copy large files because they go over the network completely unnecessarily. Is there a way to fix this issue? Can I tell Windows not to transfer files across the network when it's unnecessary? Thanks for any help!

Need a ton more info

Are you using "homegroup"

How is the folder set up? is it a simple share. or more advanced

Do you have a win 7dvd to do a repair install?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Are you using "homegroup"
No, but I doubt it makes a difference.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
How is the folder set up? is it a simple share. or more advanced
Right-click > Properties > Sharing > Share

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Do you have a win 7dvd to do a repair install?
Yes, but this isn't a problem with my installation; it's a problem with the default behavior of network folders. I've seen this issue on multiple computers on a couple different networks; it's not specific to my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Jun 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

What you are describing is the normal behavior. Windows will copy the file to the networked computer and then back to the "server", because you aren't running a real server. If you were running something like WHS, the file pointer is changed and the file isn't actually moved to the client computer.

To get around this, use RDP to remote into the "server" and do the file maintenance that way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
What you are describing is the normal behavior.
It's normal behavior, but it's not at all the desired behavior.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
To get around this, use RDP to remote into the "server" and do the file maintenance that way.
Unfortunately psexec and remote desktop seem to be the only workarounds.
Copying files locally on a network folder - Server Fault
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Slow speeds copying files locally on a network drive




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Slow speeds copying files locally on a network drive
Thread Forum
Do you believe in/trust software that speeds up copying/moving files? Performance & Maintenance
Deadly Slow Network Speeds, software or hardware related? Network & Sharing
Slow Network Transfer Speeds on Local LAN Network & Sharing
Copying and deleting speeds slow Performance & Maintenance
Copying files seems slow Hardware & Devices
Slow network transfer speeds from windows XP machine. Network & Sharing
Windows Freezes when Copying Files to LaCie Network Drive Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33