Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't enable Wireless WOL!


24 Jun 2010   #1

Windows 7 Pro
 
 
Can't enable Wireless WOL!

Hi!

I'm trying to configure my Win 7 Pro machine to wake from sleep when I attempt to connect through RDP from my work machine. My home computer is connected through a Belkin N+ USB Wireless adapter (can't physically connect to router through ethernet due to house layout).

When I go to the adapter's power settings the Advanced tab doesn't have any of the WOL settings available and the Power Management tab has the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option greyed out (see attached screenshots).

In my bios I have S1 & S3 sleep enabled and everything I can find that could be related with WOL enabled (Wake from Modem, Wake from Ring, etc.) although I see nothing referring to Wake on Lan or WOL specifically mentioned. The machine wakes from sleep using a keyboard perfectly so no problems there.

When I go to the ethernet adapter's settings all of the WOL options are available and enabled but I need this to work for my WiFi since the machine isn't physically connected. I just want to save some energy costs since I'm currently leaving my machine one 24/7 so I can remote in when need be from work.

I have the newest BIOS Firmware, newest wireless adapter drivers (Windows 7 compatible) and all Windows Updates installed. This has got me stumped, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!



Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jun 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

That Ralink RT61 USB device is bus powered. When the computer turns the device off to save power it can't "hear" the wakeup call nor could it tell Windows to power it up if it could "hear" it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Is there a way to keep the USB bus powered when asleep? Looking in Device Manager my two USB Root Hubs also have "Allow this device to wake the computer" greyed out. I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for both of them (they were checked) but I still can't enable WOL on the wireless adapter.

Also, I was having this same issue before I bought the USB Wireless N adapter and was using a PCI 802.11g MIMO card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Jun 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boytexas View Post
Is there a way to keep the USB bus powered when asleep? Looking in Device Manager my two USB Root Hubs also have "Allow this device to wake the computer" greyed out. I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for both of them (they were checked) but I still can't enable WOL on the wireless adapter.

Also, I was having this same issue before I bought the USB Wireless N adapter and was using a PCI 802.11g MIMO card.
You'll need a USB adapter that supports Wireless Multimedia Extensions and a motherboard and BIOS that supports it as well. Wake-on-LAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Hmm... I know it's a couple years old but I can't imagine the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe not being able to support this with either a Belkin USB Wireless N adapter or my original pci wireless card. Do you know a way to find WME device compliance? Google seems to be failing me at the moment (to be fair, I'm probably failing google).

I'm just surprised because when researching this most people were able to resolve similar issues using older/stock machines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boytexas View Post
Hmm... I know it's a couple years old but I can't imagine the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe not being able to support this with either a Belkin USB Wireless N adapter or my original pci wireless card. Do you know a way to find WME device compliance? Google seems to be failing me at the moment (to be fair, I'm probably failing google).

I'm just surprised because when researching this most people were able to resolve similar issues using older/stock machines.
Did you see this? Configure Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

The registry dword wasn't there so I added it with the 1 value but "allow device to wake..." is still greyed out for the wireless adapter. I have the sneaking suspicion this problem is a registry edit away from being fixed but unfortunately that one didn't do the trick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boytexas View Post
The registry dword wasn't there so I added it with the 1 value but "allow device to wake..." is still greyed out for the wireless adapter. I have the sneaking suspicion this problem is a registry edit away from being fixed but unfortunately that one didn't do the trick.
I suspect a reboot is in order. And maybe selling off your Ralink USB adapter for something that advertises wowlan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #9

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

I rebooted after the registry edit but no good. I'm surprised that the Belkin n spec 2 adapter wouldn't have this ability when the router (older Belkin n spec 1) has WMM/QOS available and enabled in the router settings. It would be typical though, as I spent quite some time researching adapters before deciding to buy the overpriced Belkin USB (apparently they don't do internal cards anymore) one to play it safe with the router I got from a roommate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #10

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Oh, and for the record the WiFi adapter is the Belkin F5D8055 v2 Wireless N+ USB and the router is the F5D8236-4 v1 N.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't enable Wireless WOL!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can't enable Wireless WOL!
Thread Forum
Enable wireless adapter Network & Sharing
Cannot enable wireless connection Network & Sharing
Can't enable USB Wireless Adapter Hardware & Devices
Enable wireless capabilities Network & Sharing
How can I enable wireless at BIOS Network & Sharing
Enable Wireless Card Network & Sharing
Cannot Enable Wireless Adapter Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33