Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Static IP DNS registration v6 vs. v4?

08 Jul 2010   #1
karrow

VMWare ESXi Server 3.5.0
 
 
Static IP DNS registration v6 vs. v4?

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a static IP on my Windows 7 image. I've configured the TCP/IP v4 information, and the hostname/domain information, as well as disabling TCP/IP v6. Unfortunately, when I try to ping the IP address or the hostname/domain from another computer, no packets are received, the same with pinging the v4 IP.
On the flip side, if I try a remote connect, that works fine.

From the actual Windows 7 machine, when I ping my hostname/domain combo it completes the ping successfully but associates with a v6 IP rather than the v4 one that I specified. I can also ping my v4 IP on there, but it isn't associated with the hostname/domain.

Are there any ideas how to get the ping to work for the v4 address and associate the hostname/domain with the v4 address? Is there some sort of security setting that I missed that would allow it to remote connect, but not accept pings?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jul 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karrow View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a static IP on my Windows 7 image. I've configured the TCP/IP v4 information, and the hostname/domain information, as well as disabling TCP/IP v6. Unfortunately, when I try to ping the IP address or the hostname/domain from another computer, no packets are received, the same with pinging the v4 IP.
On the flip side, if I try a remote connect, that works fine.

From the actual Windows 7 machine, when I ping my hostname/domain combo it completes the ping successfully but associates with a v6 IP rather than the v4 one that I specified. I can also ping my v4 IP on there, but it isn't associated with the hostname/domain.

Are there any ideas how to get the ping to work for the v4 address and associate the hostname/domain with the v4 address? Is there some sort of security setting that I missed that would allow it to remote connect, but not accept pings?

Thanks.

Are you running "homegroup"? it can only use IPv6. workgroup can use IPv4
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #3
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karrow View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a static IP on my Windows 7 image. I've configured the TCP/IP v4 information, and the hostname/domain information, as well as disabling TCP/IP v6. Unfortunately, when I try to ping the IP address or the hostname/domain from another computer, no packets are received, the same with pinging the v4 IP.
On the flip side, if I try a remote connect, that works fine.

From the actual Windows 7 machine, when I ping my hostname/domain combo it completes the ping successfully but associates with a v6 IP rather than the v4 one that I specified. I can also ping my v4 IP on there, but it isn't associated with the hostname/domain.

Are there any ideas how to get the ping to work for the v4 address and associate the hostname/domain with the v4 address? Is there some sort of security setting that I missed that would allow it to remote connect, but not accept pings?

Thanks.
Those Tutorials might give you a hand:

Homegroup: Homegroup - Add Computer or Join

Workgroup: Workgroup Name - View and Change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jul 2010   #4
karrow

VMWare ESXi Server 3.5.0
 
 

I'm pretty sure this is what you guys are talking about:


This would mean I'm part of the workgroup right?

Here's what my network connections page looks like:


Let me know if I misunderstood the Workgroup vs. Homegroup thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #5
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karrow View Post
I'm pretty sure this is what you guys are talking about:


This would mean I'm part of the workgroup right?

Here's what my network connections page looks like:


Let me know if I misunderstood the Workgroup vs. Homegroup thing.
That's what we meant.

Remember that set to Work Network it disable the Homegroup junction
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #6
karrow

VMWare ESXi Server 3.5.0
 
 

Alright, but these were the setting I already had. The problem is still there...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2010   #7
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karrow View Post
Alright, but these were the setting I already had. The problem is still there...
I'm looking for you about static IP...might dns resolving probs....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Static IP DNS registration v6 vs. v4?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
win-7 OEM registration problem
I bought and registered a win-7 OEM package. The system would not boot after that (blank screen) and had to reformat the drive, re installed win7 Pro. Wants me to register it. OK. Now, it says it can't be registered because it was already done by 'someone else' which is me BTW. No hardware...
Windows Updates & Activation
Hi-jack Registration Key
My son had something happen on his PC. His background went black but icons, task bar, etc were still showing and a message box came up to ask him to verify his registration. He's had Windows 7 for about 5 months now and it was activated when it was installed. I wasn't home at the time to see the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Re-Registration?
I have had Windows 7 since October 25 2009. I have registered it and it is a valid, genuine copy of Windows 7. This morning, when I booted up, I got to my desktop and there was a window asking me to validate Windows. I click "Make Genuine" and it said that it was successful and I re-booted. When I...
Installation & Setup
Sound Static Help (removes most static)
Stumbled upon this trying to fix my static and it helped it out a bit, not 100% though but thought i would share it. Anyways; goto your playback devices > click your speaker properties > advanced > and change the default format to a higher setting, such as 24 bit, 48000hz (studio quality) ...
Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App