Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Does it matter...5 0r 6 cat cable ?


22 Jul 2010   #1

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 
Does it matter...5 0r 6 cat cable ?

Have a wired network with a gigabyte lan card and a Netgear WNR3500 "N" router...will switching from 5 cat to 6 cat on the hardlines make any difference in home network performance..throughput...etc ??

Thanks...TR


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jul 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by trinaz View Post
Have a wired network with a gigabyte lan card and a Netgear WNR3500 "N" router...will switching from 5 cat to 6 cat on the hardlines make any difference in home network performance..throughput...etc ??

Thanks...TR

Cat 6 will give you better transfer speeds from computer to computer in your network. it will also auto sense devices. It wont make your internet any faster

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Technically cat 5e and 6 support gigabit speeds over copper. Therefore, there shouldn't be any speed difference between them. Standard Cat 5 is rated for 100 megabits per second....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Jul 2010   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Technically cat 5e and 6 support gigabit speeds over copper. Therefore, there shouldn't be any speed difference between them. Standard Cat 5 is rated for 100 megabits per second....
\


Absolutely true except he didnt say cat 5e. just cat 5.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Absolutely true except he didnt say cat 5e. just cat 5.
He (the OP) didn't say anything about making his internet faster either, but you brought it up.

Overall, it's good to know about Cat 5e anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by trinaz View Post
Have a wired network with a gigabyte lan card and a Netgear WNR3500 "N" router...will switching from 5 cat to 6 cat on the hardlines make any difference in home network performance..throughput...etc ??

Thanks...TR
Good morning Trinaz, cat 6 AKA as crossover wire is predominately used in switches, a switch is a piece of hardware that allows systems to connect into the switch, a switch provides no protection, ie: firewall etc. It simply allows several S/O systems to simaltaneously connect to an IP/Network.
Cat 5 AKA ethernet wire is predominately used to connect directly into any type broadband delivery device including network hardware, ie: router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Good morning Trinaz, cat 6 AKA as crossover wire is predominately used in switches, a switch is a piece of hardware that allows systems to connect into the switch, a switch provides no protection, ie: firewall etc. It simply allows several S/O systems to simaltaneously connect to an IP/Network.
Cat 5 AKA ethernet wire is predominately used to connect directly into any type broadband delivery device including network hardware, ie: router.
I'm sorry that is not correct. Category 6 does not mean a crossover cable. You could have a Category 6 straight through ethernet cable and you could have a category 6 crossover cable.

You can also have a category 5 straight through and a category 5 crossover.

The only thing that determines whether a cable is straight through or is crossed over is whether the wires going into the RJ45 end is straight end to end (same) or crossed over (different).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
 
 

well it also depends on speed and lenght of the wire/run!! important. for long runs and max performance go with cat6a, but it will only improve transfers in your network!! for what I know there is no "Gigabit" to home connections yet, even with fiber so, it up to you. if its a large network go with cat 6a(long runs and max performance) or if you have small network( less than 20-30 nodes) go with regular cat 6. just my opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2010   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Good morning Trinaz, cat 6 AKA as crossover wire is predominately used in switches, a switch is a piece of hardware that allows systems to connect into the switch, a switch provides no protection, ie: firewall etc. It simply allows several S/O systems to simaltaneously connect to an IP/Network.
Cat 5 AKA ethernet wire is predominately used to connect directly into any type broadband delivery device including network hardware, ie: router.
I'm sorry that is not correct. Category 6 does not mean a crossover cable. You could have a Category 6 straight through ethernet cable and you could have a category 6 crossover cable.

You can also have a category 5 straight through and a category 5 crossover.

The only thing that determines whether a cable is straight through or is crossed over is whether the wires going into the RJ45 end is straight end to end (same) or crossed over (different).
I stand corrected, my apoplogies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2010   #10

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 

Also...do you loose anything in the way of performance by using a cat 6e coupler to join 2 existing lenghts...rather than spending additonal $$ on a longer cable ?

Thanks...TR
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Does it matter...5 0r 6 cat cable ?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33