Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer Says Internet Access But Cannot Surf the Internet.


25 Jul 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Computer Says Internet Access But Cannot Surf the Internet.

Hello,

I run windows 7 ultimate, and it seems like my wifi is acting up.

I can access the internet fine when i have a network bridge enabled ( used for xbox 360, but I have a wifi adapter for it now) but when i unbridge the connection it says that I am connected to the internet via wifi card, however I cannot surf the web.



When I go to diagnose the problem on my Wireless Network Connection, I get 2 problems, each appearing different times when I diagnose.




And this problem


And also for more info, when I view the properties of my wireless adapter it shows the following:

(Note the IPv6 Connectivity Status!)


I really need to figure this out!
I use a Wrt150N Router with the lastest firmware upgrade and a Macbook Pro Computer (wireless), Windows Vista (wireless) & Xp (wired) run fine with it.
Also I can run a wired connection with the computer fine. So I really don't know what the problem is.

Thanks in advance,

Tony N.



Attached Thumbnails
Computer Says Internet Access But Cannot Surf the Internet.-comparison.png  
Attached Images
    
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tony Noel View Post
Hello,

I run windows 7 ultimate, and it seems like my wifi is acting up.

I can access the internet fine when i have a network bridge enabled ( used for xbox 360, but I have a wifi adapter for it now) but when i unbridge the connection it says that I am connected to the internet via wifi card, however I cannot surf the web.



When I go to diagnose the problem on my Wireless Network Connection, I get 2 problems, each appearing different times when I diagnose.




And this problem


And also for more info, when I view the properties of my wireless adapter it shows the following:

(Note the IPv6 Connectivity Status!)


I really need to figure this out!
I use a Wrt150N Router with the lastest firmware upgrade and a Macbook Pro Computer (wireless), Windows Vista (wireless) & Xp (wired) run fine with it.
Also I can run a wired connection with the computer fine. So I really don't know what the problem is.

Thanks in advance,

Tony N.

I am also connecting via bridge. In order to bridge something you have to have 2 diff networks connected (see my snip). There should be the wifi>bridge>something else (in my case wired)

Are all the networks shared? The errors seem to point to DNS. can you type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>IPconfig /all and upload a snip of the output

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tony Noel View Post
Hello,

I run windows 7 ultimate, and it seems like my wifi is acting up.

I can access the internet fine when i have a network bridge enabled ( used for xbox 360, but I have a wifi adapter for it now) but when i unbridge the connection it says that I am connected to the internet via wifi card, however I cannot surf the web.



When I go to diagnose the problem on my Wireless Network Connection, I get 2 problems, each appearing different times when I diagnose.




And this problem


And also for more info, when I view the properties of my wireless adapter it shows the following:

(Note the IPv6 Connectivity Status!)


I really need to figure this out!
I use a Wrt150N Router with the lastest firmware upgrade and a Macbook Pro Computer (wireless), Windows Vista (wireless) & Xp (wired) run fine with it.
Also I can run a wired connection with the computer fine. So I really don't know what the problem is.

Thanks in advance,

Tony N.

I am also connecting via bridge. In order to bridge something you have to have 2 diff networks connected (see my snip). There should be the wifi>bridge>something else (in my case wired)

Are all the networks shared? The errors seem to point to DNS. can you type cmd in search>right click and run as admin>IPconfig /all and upload a snip of the output

Ken
Ken
I looked and all that said to be bridged was the Wireless Network Connection (strange?).

I added a picture of the ipconfig /all for both bridged and unbridged (shaded out part of my IP address )

What do you mean are the networks shared?


Attached Thumbnails
Computer Says Internet Access But Cannot Surf the Internet.-bridge-versus-unbridged.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jul 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Really? No one has and ideas or anything at all?!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

The default gateway for your DNS should be the same as your router which is using 192.168.1.1. But instead it's trying to use 192.168.10.1 as the default gateway for your DNS servers. This is a little strange as most systems use the same default gateway for the DNS.

Try manually changing the default gateway for the DNS to 192.168.1.1 ...

You can also try using a different DNS server instead of the 66.17.63.1, maybe try using googles public DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 . Save your old ISP DNS addresses.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Also the IPv6 connection status always says "media disconnected" for everyone. It's only used on the internal network for Homegroups so it's not typically connected to the internet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The default gateway for your DNS should be the same as your router which is using 192.168.1.1. But instead it's trying to use 192.168.10.1 as the default gateway for your DNS servers. This is a little strange as most systems use the same default gateway for the DNS.

Try manually changing the default gateway for the DNS to 192.168.1.1 ...

You can also try using a different DNS server instead of the 66.17.63.1, maybe try using googles public DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 . Save your old ISP DNS addresses.

Using Google Public DNS

Also the IPv6 connection status always says "media disconnected" for everyone. It's only used on the internal network for Homegroups so it's not typically connected to the internet.
How do I change the default gateway for the DNS?
Second, if I change it will I be able to connect to other routers in different places, ie: starbucks, work, other houses?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2010   #7

 

Hi... Tony... I was wondering if you ever figured out your problem... I too have Win 7 running on my Laptop... I Got a new router a couple weeks ago... and it was all running fine up till a few days ago... My PC says it is connected and has Internet Access, However, I cannot surf the web... it seems like my torrent client continues uploading, but as far as internet connectivity, thats all I get... funny enough, a couple days ago... it was working again... for like a day... I don't understand this at all...
When I run Diagnostis in IE, I get the same error as you also... either that one or a message saying... that I can't communicate with device... My buddy's laptop connected with out a problem...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer Says Internet Access But Cannot Surf the Internet.




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33