Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft keeps Mac vs. PC battle going on Windows 7 website


10 Aug 2010   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
Microsoft keeps Mac vs. PC battle going on Windows 7 website

Quote:

Microsoft has added a PC versus Mac section to its Windows 7 website. The webpage is under the Compare tab, where users can match up the three main Windows 7 editions, read a Top 10 list of reasons to buy Windows 7, and read Microsoft's thoughts on why it believes Windows 7 has the advantage over Mac OS X. According to the new page, Microsoft says it has Apple beat in six categories: Having Fun (Macs might spoil your fun), Simplicity (Macs can take time to learn), Working Hard (Macs don't work as well at work or at school), Sharing (Macs don't like to share), Compatibility (Macs might not like your PC stuff), and Choice (Macs don't let you choose).

Each area makes a couple valid points, though Redmond makes sure to avoid naming any potential strengths Cupertino may have: this is strictly a pro-PC show. Each page ends off with a note to visit the Windows PC Scout to help the user find the right PC for them.
Source -
Microsoft keeps Mac vs. PC battle going on Windows 7 website


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Aug 2010   #2

 
 

thanks for sharing it was a interesting read and it makes lot's of valid points much better than the mac vs. pc ads...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 



Just about the only legitimate claim on there is personalization (of hardware). The only reason PCs are simpler is because most of us grew up using them.

Quote:
Most Macs can't hook up to your TV unless you buy a converter dongle. Many PCs running Windows 7 are designed to connect directly to TVs, so you can watch movies and see photos on the big screen.
Since when?

Quote:
Unlike Macs, many PCs running Windows 7 support Touch, so you can browse online newspapers, flick through photo albums, and shuffle files and folders—using nothing but your fingers.
iPad anyone? (I still think of maxxipad...)

Quote:
If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky. Your documents might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly.
WHAT? Wait, so if I can't even email it to myself or my work using XP because the calculations on my spreadsheet will be wrong even though I am using Microsoft office on my beautiful, sexy, white mac on my home desk?
Guess I should just throw it in the garbage then and buy a cheap PC.

Quote:
With PCs outselling Macs 10 to 1, the reality is that most computer software is developed to run on PCs.
True enough there...

Quote:
Macs only come in white or silver. PCs are available in a full spectrum of colors across a range of price points.
I was never much for white anything really.


~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Aug 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote:
Mac might spoil your fun
First off, I have nothing against Windows, I've never had any major issues with Vista, but that page makes me cringe. I've used Windows 98, Win 2000, XP, Vista and lastly the Windows 7 and I can tell you I've had more fun with Mac OS X than any windows to date.

Quote:
Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For example, the mouse works differently. And many of the shortcuts you're familiar with don't work the same way on a Mac.
The mouse works differently you say? And shortcuts? In what way is CMD + C different from CTRL + C ? And don't get me started on the mouse...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post


Just about the only legitimate claim on there is personalization (of hardware). The only reason PCs are simpler is because most of us grew up using them.
I beg to differ. PCs are simpler because of personalization. You can make a Windows PC work pretty much whatever way you want via thousands of settings. A Mac only works one way: the way Steve Jobs and Apple think is best.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote:
Most Macs can't hook up to your TV unless you buy a converter dongle. Many PCs running Windows 7 are designed to connect directly to TVs, so you can watch movies and see photos on the big screen.
Since when?
Macs use a proprietary video output called "Mini DisplayPort", which supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through the use of special adapters that are NOT included with your Mac.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote:
Unlike Macs, many PCs running Windows 7 support Touch, so you can browse online newspapers, flick through photo albums, and shuffle files and folders—using nothing but your fingers.
iPad anyone? (I still think of maxxipad...)
I have an iPad, and while it's a great device, it's not a full-featured computer. It can't be fairly compared to a Windows 7 tablet, it falls short.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote:
If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky. Your documents might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly.
WHAT? Wait, so if I can't even email it to myself or my work using XP because the calculations on my spreadsheet will be wrong even though I am using Microsoft office on my beautiful, sexy, white mac on my home desk?
Guess I should just throw it in the garbage then and buy a cheap PC.
It specifically says "If you use Apple's productivity suite". From my experience with iWork on the iPad, they are correct, iWork often does not read the format of MS Office docs correctly.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote:
Macs only come in white or silver. PCs are available in a full spectrum of colors across a range of price points.
I was never much for white anything really.
I hate white and silver technology, IMO it just looks unprofessional. THey do have a point that Macs only have one style, unlike PCs which come in hundreds of styles.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Twibitsu View Post
Quote:
Mac might spoil your fun
First off, I have nothing against Windows, I've never had any major issues with Vista, but that page makes me cringe. I've used Windows 98, Win 2000, XP, Vista and lastly the Windows 7 and I can tell you I've had more fun with Mac OS X than any windows to date.
Note the word "might". To me, the issue with OS X is the "fun". IMO, Apple spent so much time with graphics and fancy FX, making the OS "fun", that it's a disaster from a productivity standpoint. Which is why MOST corporate environments run Windows.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Twibitsu View Post
Quote:
Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For example, the mouse works differently. And many of the shortcuts you're familiar with don't work the same way on a Mac.
The mouse works differently you say? And shortcuts? In what way is CMD + C different from CTRL + C ? And don't get me started on the mouse...
First of all, just because CMD+C is the same as CTRL+C doesn't mean that all the other shortcuts are also the same. And I'd love to get you started on the mouse; I defy anyone to explain how CMD+Click (a two-handed command) is easier and/or more intuitive than right-click (a one-handed command).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote:
I have an iPad, and while it's a great device, it's not a full-featured computer. It can't be fairly compared to a Windows 7 tablet, it falls short.
iPad seems to fall short of everything. I considered purchasing the iPad, but I think I'll leave it for now. Knowing Apple, they probably never even add USB ports on it...

Quote:
First of all, just because CMD+C is the same as CTRL+C doesn't mean that all the other shortcuts are also the same. And I'd love to get you started on the mouse; I defy anyone to explain how CMD+Click (a two-handed command) is easier and/or more intuitive than right-click (a one-handed command).
What can I say, You got me there!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Twibitsu View Post
Quote:
I have an iPad, and while it's a great device, it's not a full-featured computer. It can't be fairly compared to a Windows 7 tablet, it falls short.
iPad seems to fall short of everything. I considered purchasing the iPad, but I think I'll leave it for now. Knowing Apple, they probably never even add USB ports on it...
Trust me, iPad is definitely a niche product. There is a category of operations that it does very well, I bought mine to replace my netbook, and have not regretted the trade. And I think USB ports on the iPad would be fairly useless, I can't think of a peripheral that would be really worth it. I believe that the USB port addon that comes with the Camera Connection Kit already supports both USB headsets and keyboards, so ... yeah.

I would definitely recommend that you not write it off completely, based on the latest iPhone tech, the second-gen iPad is probably going to have a webcam with FaceTime, a retina display, and will incorporate the multitasking that the first-gens will get this fall.

P.S. My first post in this topic should make it clear I'm by no means a fan of Apple. So I do like both the iPhone and iPad based on merit, not the brand name. If anything, I see the brand name as a negative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

For me it was pretty much MacBook Pro vs iPad. Ended up with the MBP.
I'm done buying my gadgets this year though

[QUOTE]Trust me, iPad is definitely a niche product. There is a category of operations that it does very well, I bought mine to replace my netbook, and have not regretted the trade. And I think USB ports on the iPad would be fairly useless, I can't think of a peripheral that would be really worth it. I believe that the USB port addon that comes with the Camera Connection Kit already supports both USB headsets and keyboards, so ... yeah./QUOTE]

I've seen the lack of usb connectivity as a bad point so far, but you have a point there. I have a DSLR camera, but I've never used the usb cable to connect it to my PCs, I just take out the SD card. I have two external HDD's, but they haven't seen much use recently because of MobileMe's iDisk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2010   #9

Win7 64bit
 
 

IPad uses iOS so you can`t compare it with Window 7 products.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft keeps Mac vs. PC battle going on Windows 7 website




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33