Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security

20 Aug 2010   #21

Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
 
 

When i first heard the news, i thought, why Intel, why?

They've made some awesome choices this past few years in terms of the processor roadmaps, and to cripple it with a resource hog of an antivirus solution? It does not make any sense.. after all the recent kerfuffles McAfee were involved in, they should be left to float adrift and die.

The next thought that came to my mind was perhaps they'll bury that farce of an antivirus solution once and for all...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Aug 2010   #22

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

I think that's why they chose that one. Think about it, an AV company that messed a bunch of XP machines worldwide and then launched an "upgrade" that crippled a bunch of Win 7 PC's by freezing the entire machine when you tried to connect to the net.

Not to mention errors in Win 7 shutdown that they were aware of since May & took until August to resolve

They probably got a bargain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #23

 

I don't know about anyone else, but when I go looking for a new car, the last place I'd go is the junkyard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Aug 2010   #24

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
I think that's why they chose that one. Think about it, an AV company that messed a bunch of XP machines worldwide and then launched an "upgrade" that crippled a bunch of Win 7 PC's by freezing the entire machine when you tried to connect to the net.

Not to mention errors in Win 7 shutdown that they were aware of since May & took until August to resolve

They probably got a bargain.

Not sure I'd call $7.68 Billion a bargain. They paid $48/share, almost 20% over the close that day. Intel really wanted them, and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure what their plan is. I think they are probably looking at taking the hypervisor concept to a greater level and having virus protection at that level to prevent root-kitting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #25

Windows 7 Pro 64bit build 7601 SP1
 
 

Did you guys actually read the article. It said Intel is looking at security for other cpu type devices such as mobile phones and other smart devices or even cpu's used in automotive applications. I don't think they were acquiring Mcafee just to integrate A/V into desktops. I'm sure they are R&Ding into all areas of computing to broaden their market reach/diversify their business model.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #26

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metalmania31 View Post
Did you guys actually read the article. It said Intel is looking at security for other cpu type devices such as mobile phones and other smart devices or even cpu's used in automotive applications. I don't think they were acquiring Mcafee just to integrate A/V into desktops. I'm sure they are R&Ding into all areas of computing to broaden their market reach/diversify their business model.
I'd have to agree with your assessment. All one has to do is read the Security threads on this forum to know that not every AV program is compatible with the infinite number of ways computers can be customized by users and other integration problems like false positives, etc. Doesn't make much sense for Intel (or any other manufacturer) to force an AV program onto a buyer ... unless they're also planning on having a way to deactivate it should it interfere with other programs (security or otherwise.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Now what happens when MS bundles MSE with Win 8?
Not likely going to happen, as all of the 3rd party AV companies would cry foul and MS would be tied up a lawsuit for strong-arming the market.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #28

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote:
They paid $48/share, almost 20% over the close that day. Intel really wanted them, and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure what their plan is.
Really? It gets curiouser & curiouser.......
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Now what happens when MS bundles MSE with Win 8?
Not likely going to happen, as all of the 3rd party AV companies would cry foul and MS would be tied up a lawsuit for strong-arming the market.
You are absolutely correct. I posted that tongue in cheek because of the experience MS had with IE. You can bet Intel learned that lesson as well.

What I hope is that Intel will make a decent product out of McAfee.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #30

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
What I hope is that Intel will make a decent product out of McAfee.
Considering how much Dell is pushing McAfee on people (home users don't have a choice to not have it preinstalled) I really hope you are right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security
Thread Forum
Intel/McAfee: What's the Future of Security? Security News
Intel, McAfee Promote Dynamic Plan for Securing the Cloud Security News
McAfee Security Bulletin Security News
McAfee Internet Security free for 180 days System Security
Why Intel bought McAfee News
Intel in $7.68bn McAfee takeover News
Mcafee security center - incompatible? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33