Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security


20 Aug 2010   #1

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 
With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security

And there's the bottom line folks....

Read More:

With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

Quote:
In the future, you may not have to buy antivirus software for your laptops and mobile devices if Intel is able to live up to the promise of integrating technology from acquisition target McAfee, experts said on Thursday.
In announcing its plans to acquire security company McAfee for $7.68 billion, Intel executives said they see security as being as critical to computing as performance and connectivity and that they plan to combine security with its hardware and expand further into the mobile market.
It's what I figured was going to happen. Smart move when you look at it. Take a AV company that has had lots of fails, acquire it for a probably cheap price, then take advantage of that by integrating it's protection into your chip, or tying it in. I believe this, if it works out, will give them quite an advantage over it's competitors. Or it could fail....time will tell.

Quote:
Don't expect to see security software hardwired onto the chip, said Tim Bajarin, president of analyst company Creative Strategies. Rather, there will likely be a bridge on the core CPU (central processing unit) to a security element, much like there are bridges to additional graphics chips and modems, he said.
"This particular deal allows Intel and McAfee to work together to tie future generations of software security to the processor via some sort of SOC (system-on-a-chip) solution," Bajarin said. "Today if a hacker wants to come into a system it almost always is done through software. But Intel and McAfee are capable of adding even another level of security, which would make a hacker have to break the hardware code as well as the software code."



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Aug 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

When that happens I will go with AMD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
And there's the bottom line folks....

Read More:

With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

Quote:
In the future, you may not have to buy antivirus software for your laptops and mobile devices if Intel is able to live up to the promise of integrating technology from acquisition target McAfee, experts said on Thursday.
In announcing its plans to acquire security company McAfee for $7.68 billion, Intel executives said they see security as being as critical to computing as performance and connectivity and that they plan to combine security with its hardware and expand further into the mobile market.
Quote:
Don't expect to see security software hardwired onto the chip, said Tim Bajarin, president of analyst company Creative Strategies. Rather, there will likely be a bridge on the core CPU (central processing unit) to a security element, much like there are bridges to additional graphics chips and modems, he said.
"This particular deal allows Intel and McAfee to work together to tie future generations of software security to the processor via some sort of SOC (system-on-a-chip) solution," Bajarin said. "Today if a hacker wants to come into a system it almost always is done through software. But Intel and McAfee are capable of adding even another level of security, which would make a hacker have to break the hardware code as well as the software code."
That was what I first imagined. But this is undoubtedly a huge gamble. They have a few antivirus features on their chips now, but to put so many more on would be a huge boost or huge bust.

I wonder if this is their vision knowing that computing power is getting so great that our software algorithms are becoming obsolete.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Aug 2010   #4

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
When that happens I will go with AMD.
Then you may get another AV to go with that.

This is only speculation, but if Intel & McAfee are hopping in bed together, then what's to stop AMD from teaming up with Norton or another AV.

They may not have a choice but to do so to stay competitive. I'll bet AMD & several AV companies are watching this real close.

On the plus side, this may indeed lead to a better, improved AV. I won't say 100% secure, because we all know there is no such beast.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
When that happens I will go with AMD.
Then you may get another AV to go with that.

This is only speculation, but if Intel & McAfee are hopping in bed together, then what's to stop AMD from teaming up with Norton or another AV.
I was reading this earlier. Symantec Needs Alliances, Network Products to Vie With Intel - BusinessWeek
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
When that happens I will go with AMD.
lol.. one step ahead of you on that.. built a 6 core AMD system two weeks ago and I love it... for god's sake I hope they improve McAfee's products first or Intel is going to go right down the tubes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

I've almost gone with AMD...but some computers I have used with AMD chips seem a bit...slow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #8

 

There's nothing slow about a 1090t.. might not rate up there with the I7 980 in benchmarks, but it only costs $300 and I haven't been able to max out all 6 cores, no matter what apps I run simultaneously
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #9

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Maybe I was using the Athlon or Sempron. Those are the lower end models right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #10

 

Yeah.. the phenom is the high end processor. Pricewise, AMD phenom X2s and X4s outperform anything made by intel for the same money
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: With McAfee deal, Intel to bake in security
Thread Forum
Intel/McAfee: What's the Future of Security? Security News
Intel, McAfee Promote Dynamic Plan for Securing the Cloud Security News
McAfee Security Bulletin Security News
McAfee Internet Security free for 180 days System Security
Why Intel bought McAfee News
Intel in $7.68bn McAfee takeover News
Mcafee security center - incompatible? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33