Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Search Engines Should Become Government Spies, Says EU Parliament

27 Aug 2010   #1
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 
Search Engines Should Become Government Spies, Says EU Parliament

Search Engines Should Become Government Spies, Says EU Parliament

Quote:
"Privacy is a fundamental right and the basis of a free society. The phenomenal success of Ixquick and Startpage proves that people don't want to be watched by their governments," said Mr. Beens. "Spying on law-abiding citizens is not the way forward, and we will stand by our principles to protect the public's ability to search in privacy."
In case you weren't aware of this ( most people aren't )

http://www.ixquick.com/eng/press/pr-...on-policy.html

You can help by adding Ixquick as one of your search engines, and using it.

Ixquick Search Engine

It may not be your favorite , but using it once or twice a day will show support for the principle.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Aug 2010   #2
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Hmm... China when head to head with Google over their search engine. And Saudi Arabia wants to decrypt crackberry phones. Countries all over the world attempt to trample civil liberties (some more successful than others).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2010   #3
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Nice info, Added to my search engines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Aug 2010   #4
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

hi !

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Search Engines Should Become Government Spies, Says EU Parliament

Quote:
"Privacy is a fundamental right and the basis of a free society. The phenomenal success of Ixquick and Startpage proves that people don't want to be watched by their governments," said Mr. Beens. "Spying on law-abiding citizens is not the way forward, and we will stand by our principles to protect the public's ability to search in privacy."
In case you weren't aware of this ( most people aren't )

http://www.ixquick.com/eng/press/pr-...on-policy.html

You can help by adding Ixquick as one of your search engines, and using it.

Ixquick Search Engine

It may not be your favorite , but using it once or twice a day will show support for the principle.

reading the subject, i get confused.

Ixquick has been awarded by EU, because EU does NOT want search-engines to "spy" on european citizens.

it looks like you have misunderstood the whole thing ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #5
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hackerman,

Ixquick has been awarded the privacy seal. That shows their claim to protect privacy is valid.


Sadly, the EU wants to remove privacy by forcing Search engines to spy on their users.

Ixquick are therefore the prime target.

All EU "citizens" may be subject to this fate - if the ruling goes through




Dave 76 -glad to hear it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #6
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Good tip. Thanks SIW2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #7
smarteyeball

 
 

EU = Enforced Utopia?

And what a surprise to see that magic word 'paedophiles' being used as a guise to push through what governments really want:

Quote:
access to a rich trove of political, medical, professional, and personal data on virtually every person


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #8
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #9
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
EU = Enforced Utopia?

And what a surprise to see that magic word 'paedophiles' being used as a guise to push through what governments really want:

Quote:
access to a rich trove of political, medical, professional, and personal data on virtually every person
Spot on!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #10
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Hackerman,

Ixquick has been awarded the privacy seal. That shows their claim to protect privacy is valid.

Sadly, the EU wants to remove privacy by forcing Search engines to spy on their users.

Ixquick are therefore the prime target.

All EU "citizens" may be subject to this fate - if the ruling goes through
i looks loke you REALLY have got it all backwards....

as i posted above: "Ixquick has been awarded by EU, because EU does NOT want search-engines to "spy" on european citizens."

at least it was so when i read about Ixquick and the award....

and i have not heard anything else, but now you really woke me, im going to doublecheck this, then ill get back to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Search Engines Should Become Government Spies, Says EU Parliament




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Search Engines?
Hi, Have G Chrome's latest version on my newly installed W7 and G Chrome running on my Android, which are both synced. The 1st time after installing on my pc gave Chrome notifications like G Mail, Weather etc, some I unchecked but now get no notifications? Is it possible to revert back to...
Browsers & Mail
My search engines return a 404 error
Google, yahoo, Bing etc. all return a page not found error lately. I trhink it might be related to "duckduckgo ". I removed the search engine, DDG, but it is still there. Does this search engine have a bad history. I would l-ke to use Google search if I can reverse this bad behavior. Bill
Browsers & Mail
can not manage addons/search engines on IE11
Good day everybody. Running ie11 on windows 7, about 2 weeks ago I could not manage addons or searchhttp://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png engine, enable/disable are not accessable. I removed avg that made me crazy with avg isearch and installed microsoft security...
Browsers & Mail
Adware, Nasty search engines and overall frustration.
Greetings, A typical day in my life using my computer involves running: SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner, ESET Online Scanner and Microsecurity Essentials. Every day I get a ton of things that are irritating and probably some that are very harmful. Right now the most...
System Security
Search Engines
Not exactly a browser or email question, but this seems like the closest forum for the question. APC on occassion offers a rebate for a particular UPS that I want, but apparently only by one vendor at a time, and only for a very short period. Both times that I have run across it, was too late to...
Browsers & Mail
Windows 7: two search engines!
Have you noticed that a same search in Windows 7 can sometimes give you different results? Windows 7 actually contains two search engines: When search is initiated from Start Menu, Libraries window, Users folder or its subfolders or the window showing results of these searches, Windows 7 is...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App