Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft posts video of customers criticizing OpenOffice


16 Oct 2010   #21

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Free trials of office.. haha, people would keep installing them over and over like they do Adobe products :P

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Oct 2010   #22

Vista HP, Vista Ultimate, XP Pro, Seven Ultimate x2
 
 

You guys need to differentiate between business application and personal uses. I believe that this video makes a good point in business perspective, in that; consistency is the key to efficiency and by standardizing your apps you can achieve a more efficient working environment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #23

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nailgunner View Post
It's beyond silly, because I'm sure OpenOffice can find 16 customers who will swear they saved money dropping MS.
I'll be 17 !!! , use OpenOffice now & then , NEVER a problem , used Word for awhile IT ATE THE CPU ! The video refered to above would be more convincing if it didn't run like crap too !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Oct 2010   #24

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote:
used Word for awhile IT ATE THE CPU
I see, and that would be Word's fault without a doubt and not a problem with your system.
If you say so, then it must be true for everyone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #25

 

The difference between free or open source and proprietary applications is mainly that in proprietary applications there are several layers of anticopy protection code that has to be processed with every operation in order to use proprietary software, which makes it inherently inefficient. There is absolutely nothing wrong with open source software except that microsoft and other for-profit software devlopers don't like it because they can't make any money off of it. Windows automatically blocks anything open source or unsigned because most developers of open source apps are not going to pay for a signed certificate from a company that is usually owned by another software corporation, not because there is anything wrong with the software.

As to the way microsoft is campaigning against Open Office.. that's nothing more than a typical microsoft response to anything they see as serious competition. If it wasn't a real threat to them, they wouldn't bother.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #26
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WiGGyRedLinR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nailgunner View Post
It's beyond silly, because I'm sure OpenOffice can find 16 customers who will swear they saved money dropping MS.
I'll be 17 !!! , use OpenOffice now & then , NEVER a problem , used Word for awhile IT ATE THE CPU ! The video refered to above would be more convincing if it didn't run like crap too !
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
I see, and that would be Word's fault without a doubt and not a problem with your system.
If you say so, then it must be true for everyone.
Well said Tepid,

There are many others [including me] who prefer / choose NOT to use Open Office...... & use MS Office. 'Saving money' in not an issue.

Your comment re Word / CPU is
subjective "logic" at the best.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

I use office because 1) It looks cool installed on my system, 2) I had the money to buy it, 3) It's better than OpenOffice, hands down, and 4) I'd rather use something that's more reliable than opensource.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #28

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WiGGyRedLinR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nailgunner View Post
It's beyond silly, because I'm sure OpenOffice can find 16 customers who will swear they saved money dropping MS.
I'll be 17 !!! , use OpenOffice now & then , NEVER a problem , used Word for awhile IT ATE THE CPU ! The video refered to above would be more convincing if it didn't run like crap too !
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
I see, and that would be Word's fault without a doubt and not a problem with your system.
If you say so, then it must be true for everyone.
Well said Tepid,

There are many others [including me] who prefer / choose NOT to use Open Office...... & use MS Office. 'Saving money' in not an issue.

Your comment re Word / CPU is
subjective "logic" at the best.
OF Course it's my own experience, I understand also that OpenOffice is not intended to run entire business settings. Simply stating what happened on MY machine. Apologies I didn't intend to start a Mac vs Windows War. Free to like what ya' like & I'm happy for ya.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

I have used Open Office Portable on my Windows 7 PC to minimize component installment or new registry entries that would otherwise be orphaned if I remove the Open Office Portable suite. It was so buggy and it was very prone to crashes so I removed it after some time but I still have in on my USB. MS Office is admittedly better in my view, especially upon the arrival of MS Office 2010. I use only Wordpad and Paint on Windows 7 but I use Open Office on my Linuxes. Well, I'll be fair and state my verdict:

I shouldnt be making videoes like that if I were Micro$oft. People nowadays are wise enough to weigh the pros and cons of Open Office over MS Office and vice versa. We know its about business tactic, right??

Their video does have some strong points but on the other hand, it will do too little to make individual people switch to MS Office and buy their expensive suite and it will only cause rage among diehard Linux, Open Office and open source fanboys.

And it only makes people like us think that Micro$oft is getting a little worried about Open Office and the open source movement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #30
HJA

 

I have MS Ofice 07 and have recieved documents via email that were created in OO and I can't open them. I thought these were supposed to be compatible. I know on MSO 2003 I could open a OO document. I guess MS wants to make it difficult.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft posts video of customers criticizing OpenOffice




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33