Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Finally a bit of SENSE in File sharing law review

10 Nov 2010   #1
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 
Finally a bit of SENSE in File sharing law review

Hi there
At least a bit of realism is creeping into politicians into realising what ISP's can feasably do and what is in Cloud Cuckoo land.

Maybe Coalition Politics works -- I'm an Engineer not a Politician but it DOES seem a bit more sense here.

Instead of a slavish reaction to what the Music and Film Industries want a bit of sensible discussion seems the best way forward.

BBC News - Net providers get Digital Economy Act judicial review

Cheers
jimbo


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Nov 2010   #2
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Just seen this myself and was going to post about it. I've had a look at the Digital Economy Act in depth and it looks like it's been hastily drafted by people who really don't have technical knowledge about how ISPs operate or how internet piracy works. As it stands it looks unenforceable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2010   #3
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Then it's just like many of the other laws that the Labour party supported / suggested.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Just seen this myself and was going to post about it. I've had a look at the Digital Economy Act in depth and it looks like it's been hastily drafted by people who really don't have technical knowledge about how ISPs operate or how internet piracy works. As it stands it looks unenforceable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Nov 2010   #4
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rei Tumult View Post
Then it's just like many of the other laws that the Labour party supported / suggested.
Careful....you're getting close to this one....
Quote:
No discussion of politics, religion or firearms - this is a technical forum and not the place for it!
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ease-read.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2010   #5
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
this is one of those areas where Politics does overlap into the relevant thread -- not individual policies of particular Parties or Politicians but over the principle of how to handle illegal file sharing / Piracy of software / music / other intellectual property.

However even this is fraught with difficulty.

For example consider a case where the CIA or other intelligence agency "Steals" or otherwise acquires by dubious means a piece of software which theoretically could shut down major computer networks in the US or elsewhere.


Is the action of the CIA any different from a person "acquiring" files by similar means.

In the case of the CIA most people I suppose would tend to give tacit approval even if they didn't explicitly approve of the action taken whereas the other case would usually get the thumbs down.

The fact that the software COULD cause problems doesn't mean that it was DESIGNED to do that or that it was maliciously written in the first place.

Once you start getting into these areas then the whole concept of current Law is totally "Not Fit for Purpose" and this is where we DO actually need the Politicians to sort out the whole mess.

So we can't ignore Politics completely unfortunately but I agree we shouldn't get into Parochial National politics.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2010   #6
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
this is one of those areas where Politics does overlap into the relevant thread -- not individual policies of particular Parties or Politicians but over the principle of how to handle illegal file sharing / Piracy of software / music / other intellectual property.

However even this is fraught with difficulty.

For example consider a case where the CIA or other intelligence agency "Steals" or otherwise acquires by dubious means a piece of software which theoretically could shut down major computer networks in the US or elsewhere.


Is the action of the CIA any different from a person "acquiring" files by similar means.

In the case of the CIA most people I suppose would tend to give tacit approval even if they didn't explicitly approve of the action taken whereas the other case would usually get the thumbs down.

The fact that the software COULD cause problems doesn't mean that it was DESIGNED to do that or that it was maliciously written in the first place.

Once you start getting into these areas then the whole concept of current Law is totally "Not Fit for Purpose" and this is where we DO actually need the Politicians to sort out the whole mess.

So we can't ignore Politics completely unfortunately but I agree we shouldn't get into Parochial National politics.


Cheers
jimbo
I was just worried that things would turn partisan, and that never ends well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #7
Fliplip

windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Over here in the UK at least one ISP (Virgin Media) are now capping activity on ports normally used for torrents and Usenet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #8
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

My ISP does not even bother about torrents and illegal downloads
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #9
Fliplip

windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

VM are rubbish. They keep upping our speed but then caping those who want to take advantage of it.
lucky for me i use Giganews and can switch ports so im not affected :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #10
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fliplip View Post
Over here in the UK at least one ISP (Virgin Media) are now capping activity on ports normally used for torrents and Usenet.
Hi there
Go via a Proxy to avoid this problem.

I use Proxies a lot - especially when I'm outside say the UK and want LIVE Premier League football or outside the US and want to catch TV shows not yet released in Europe.

Cheers

jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Finally a bit of SENSE in File sharing law review




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Several errors - need to review attached file
80070005, 800700002, DWORD O, 800704C8, DT000, LOAD-UNLOAD. Every troubleshooter I try gives me an error code 0x80070002 Been trying to fix for over a month
BSOD Help and Support
cannot turn on File Discovery and File and Print Sharing
I am trying to set up file sharing between my two pcs and am unable to access my laptop files from my desktop. The problem I believe is that on the “change sharing options for different network profiles” page (Control Panel>Network sharing) I cannot turn on the Network discovery and...
Network & Sharing
Problem with file copying adversely affecting media/file sharing & WMC
WMC recording/playback and media/file sharing seems to work fine until I go to copy a file between drives, where one of those drives is currently using some of its i/o bandwidth to do media. The copy hogs the i/o bandwidth, doing nasty things to the real-time needs. How do I permanently tell...
Performance & Maintenance
File Sharing and Homegroup Sharing Problem
Hi, I have been going crazy trying to get my PC to share files with a couple of laptops. I am running Windows 7 64 Bit and the laptops are running Windows 7 64 bit and Windows XP. I have enabled file sharing but The Windows 7 Laptop keeps giving me an unknown error when trying to join a...
Network & Sharing
Please review my minidump file
Just put together a new system Win7 Ult 64 bit . Asus mobo M3N78-vm, AM2 cpu, 2 gig ddr2 1066 memory, no overclocking, WD 1.5 terbyte HD. Keep getting BSOD. All parts are new. Tried doing a memtest, only got to 20% before crash but no errors to that point. 2 optical drives and card reader. Run with...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD / "Lockups" Dump File Review Request
Hello all, I was hoping I could get one of you to take a look at my minidump file (attached). I'm getting intermittent BSODs (although it typically just manifests as a "lockup" rather than actually taking you all the way to the blue screen). The event log has been pretty unhelpful, but I have...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App