Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Mark Russinovich on Windows 7 UAC

09 Jun 2009   #1

 
Mark Russinovich on Windows 7 UAC

Quote:
User Account Control is one of those Windows features that evokes a number of different responses from folks. Most people appreciate the enhanced security UAC offers, but we did hear complaints about the high number of UAC prompts in Windows Vista. This led some customers to turn off UAC, which concerns us from a security perspective. So in Windows 7, we've given a great deal of thought to how we marry enhanced security with ease-of-use. We have written extensively about the changes in UAC for Windows 7 on the Engineering Windows 7 blog (Post 1, Post 2, Post 3, Post 4).

Now, Technical Fellow Mark Russinovich weighs in on UAC with some great insight on the technology and some of our motivations around the decisions we have made. Check out Inside User Account Control now available online from TechNet Magazine.


More...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jun 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

They did do a GREAT job with UAC prompts in Seven. I mess around with my rig ALL the time, and I rarely get them anymore, whereas with Vista I was clicking Continue once every ten minutes.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

yeah, nice job indeed. i always turned off or used the full administrator account in Vista, but in seven I don't have to touch the default UAC level.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Jun 2009   #4

Windows 7 x64 Pro
 
 

Hmm then that must mean I am doing something wrong because evne though I told it to allow for Rivatuner to startup when Windows starts up, it gives me a prompt and that annoys me to no end leading me to turn off UAC altogether...though I would like to NOT do that. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

On another note there is another article that mentions a glaring flaw in UAC and how they are not going to do anything about fixing it. Let me know if you are interested to read that and I can link you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by digitalrurouni View Post
Hmm then that must mean I am doing something wrong because evne though I told it to allow for Rivatuner to startup when Windows starts up, it gives me a prompt and that annoys me to no end leading me to turn off UAC altogether...though I would like to NOT do that. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
I have a program that does that as well. The solution is the Task Scheduler. Open that up and go to the Task Scheduler Library. On the right, select Create Task. Give it whatever name you want. The important part here is on the bottom. Check the box "Run With Highest Privileges". Then go over into the trigger tab and select New Trigger. Begin the task "At Login" (Not at startup, this does not work correctly). Then hit ok, and move over to the Actions tab. Select "New..." and select "Run a Program" and select your program. The other two tabs can be ignored. Then hit OK at the bottom, and you are all set!

Hope that helps you out digitalrurouni!

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #6

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
I have a program that does that as well. The solution is the Task Scheduler. Open that up and go to the Task Scheduler Library. On the right, select Create Task. Give it whatever name you want. The important part here is on the bottom. Check the box "Run With Highest Privileges". Then go over into the trigger tab and select New Trigger. Begin the task "At Login" (Not at startup, this does not work correctly). Then hit ok, and move over to the Actions tab. Select "New..." and select "Run a Program" and select your program. The other two tabs can be ignored. Then hit OK at the bottom, and you are all set!

Hope that helps you out digitalrurouni!

~Lordbob
nice info! it will be helpful for some things I want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xan K View Post
nice info! it will be helpful for some things I want.
Glad I could help.

Thanks for the rep.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Mark Russinovich on Windows 7 UAC




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33