Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Samsung develops DDR4 memory

05 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 
Samsung develops DDR4 memory

Quote:
Samsung Develops Industry's First DDR4 DRAM, Using 30nm Class Technology

SEOUL, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a global leader in advanced semiconductor technology solutions, announced today that it completed development of the industry's first DDR4 DRAM module last month, using 30 nanometer (nm) class process technology.

The new DDR4 DRAM module can achieve data transfer rates of 2.133 gigabits per second (Gbps) at 1.2V, compared to 1.35V and 1.5V DDR3 DRAM at an equivalent 30nm-class* process technology, with speeds of up to 1.6Gbps. When applied to a notebook, it reduces power consumption by 40 percent compared to a 1.5V DDR3 module.

By employing new circuit architecture, Samsung's DDR4 will be able to run from 1.6 up to 3.2Gbps, compared to today's typical speeds of 1.6Gbps for DDR3 and 800Mbps for DDR2.
Samsung develops DDR4 memory with up to 40 percent better energy efficiency than DDR3 -- Engadget

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Too wonderful. o_O Can't believe with the fast pace of today's computer world development. I can barely keep up with it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #3

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi all
Finally my Spreadsheets will be FINISHED before I even enter data in the first Cell.

Seriously -- we often get carried away by this stuff -- typical home users don't use a fraction of the power of the systems they already have.

Where this might start to be of real significance is in the "Post 3-D" world with the next generation of entertainment / video -- Holographic and decent Virtual Reality which requires a HUGE increase in processing power and memory speeds.

I think 3-D is only a temporary phase which outside some Sports Bars and cinemas won't make it big time into private homes -- but Holographic -- definitely.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jan 2011   #4

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all
Finally my Spreadsheets will be FINISHED before I even enter data in the first Cell.

Seriously -- we often get carried away by this stuff -- typical home users don't use a fraction of the power of the systems they already have.

Where this might start to be of real significance is in the "Post 3-D" world with the next generation of entertainment / video -- Holographic and decent Virtual Reality which requires a HUGE increase in processing power and memory speeds.

I think 3-D is only a temporary phase which outside some Sports Bars and cinemas won't make it big time into private homes -- but Holographic -- definitely.

Cheers
jimbo
Even though most users won't see a difference in performance, won't the energy consumption still be lower? That would be a good thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #5

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all
Finally my Spreadsheets will be FINISHED before I even enter data in the first Cell.

Seriously -- we often get carried away by this stuff -- typical home users don't use a fraction of the power of the systems they already have.

Where this might start to be of real significance is in the "Post 3-D" world with the next generation of entertainment / video -- Holographic and decent Virtual Reality which requires a HUGE increase in processing power and memory speeds.

I think 3-D is only a temporary phase which outside some Sports Bars and cinemas won't make it big time into private homes -- but Holographic -- definitely.

Cheers
jimbo
Even though most users won't see a difference in performance, won't the energy consumption still be lower? That would be a good thing.
A lot of this is really a mute point -- true Energy consumption will be less but not significantly -- but then you have to offset that against the Manufacturing Energy requirements and Heavy Metal environmental requirements.

It's a bit like the Electric Car lobby saying these engines are "greener" than Gasoline -- true in running but think of the HUGE costs required in making the batteries and they use some of the most toxic chemicals around in the manufacturing process.

Also how is the electricity generated that is used in re-charging these batteries -- Nuclear or what.

One needs to be careful with these sorts of issues -- whatever your Politics and I'm sure 99% of us are for the use of CLEAN GREEN energy but it's never that simple.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Here is an interesting read I posted in another thread.

Next-Generation DDR4 Memory to Reach 4.266GHz - Report - X-bit labs

JEDEC is expected to finalize the DDR4 standard later this year and it will be interesting to see the new requirements and how the products develop.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I don't even have a box yet with DDR3...and I think my RAM is plenty fast.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #8
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

DDR4 will be fine as it was for DDR3, CULV Processor and a very fast write drive disk should make nice lappy & desktop!

Well, in two years mine might be well cook...so then i'll have that taste for DDR4
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all
Finally my Spreadsheets will be FINISHED before I even enter data in the first Cell.

Seriously -- we often get carried away by this stuff -- typical home users don't use a fraction of the power of the systems they already have.

Where this might start to be of real significance is in the "Post 3-D" world with the next generation of entertainment / video -- Holographic and decent Virtual Reality which requires a HUGE increase in processing power and memory speeds.

I think 3-D is only a temporary phase which outside some Sports Bars and cinemas won't make it big time into private homes -- but Holographic -- definitely.

Cheers
jimbo
Even though most users won't see a difference in performance, won't the energy consumption still be lower? That would be a good thing.
A lot of this is really a mute point -- true Energy consumption will be less but not significantly -- but then you have to offset that against the Manufacturing Energy requirements and Heavy Metal environmental requirements.

It's a bit like the Electric Car lobby saying these engines are "greener" than Gasoline -- true in running but think of the HUGE costs required in making the batteries and they use some of the most toxic chemicals around in the manufacturing process.

Also how is the electricity generated that is used in re-charging these batteries -- Nuclear or what.

One needs to be careful with these sorts of issues -- whatever your Politics and I'm sure 99% of us are for the use of CLEAN GREEN energy but it's never that simple.

Cheers
jimbo
These are some good points. Ecample: In Europe (the EU) they are now preparing a law prohibiting the energy saving bulbs that were just introduced. Nobody thought of the disposal of those bulbs - when they break, they leak mercury which is highly toxic. What a bunch of morons did not think of that earlier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #10
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post

Even though most users won't see a difference in performance, won't the energy consumption still be lower? That would be a good thing.
A lot of this is really a mute point -- true Energy consumption will be less but not significantly -- but then you have to offset that against the Manufacturing Energy requirements and Heavy Metal environmental requirements.

It's a bit like the Electric Car lobby saying these engines are "greener" than Gasoline -- true in running but think of the HUGE costs required in making the batteries and they use some of the most toxic chemicals around in the manufacturing process.

Also how is the electricity generated that is used in re-charging these batteries -- Nuclear or what.

One needs to be careful with these sorts of issues -- whatever your Politics and I'm sure 99% of us are for the use of CLEAN GREEN energy but it's never that simple.

Cheers
jimbo
These are some good points. Ecample: In Europe (the EU) they are now preparing a law prohibiting the energy saving bulbs that were just introduced. Nobody thought of the disposal of those bulbs - when they break, they leak mercury which is highly toxic. What a bunch of morons did not think of that earlier.
The "stick" went straight back to the manufacturers....!

But yet my DDR3 doesn't produce Petrol Gas!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Samsung develops DDR4 memory




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33