Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Anti-Piracy Weapon Revealed


30 Jul 2011   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Let me make one thing clear; I do not condone piracy, because each time software is stolen, it reduces revenue stream and therefore forces those of us that do play by the rules to pay more than we otherwise would have done.

That said, the global internet is to a certain degree one of the last bastions of free speech, and if ISPs are being forced to vet where we can go and what we do on the information highway, how long will it be before governments pass legislation to allow us to see only what THEY want us to see?

George Orwell's world is never too far away, it seems.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jul 2011   #12

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
This is just the beginning. The sad thing is, most people will just let this happen. This will be the anchor that allows the DEA to be enforced. Before we know it, it will be "Great Firewall of Britain."

I've made my thoughts on this clear, in fact I am a member of ORG (who were referenced in the article), but just to be clear I do not condone piracy.

Neither do I condone these methods though, in particular, under the DEA (which I maintain this is a small step towards enforcing) a website can be blocked if it "is, has been or potentially could be used for piracy." That's every site on the damn net!

If they keep doing it like this then fine, fair enough. It needs to be all ISP's though. Even then it will fail, but at least they are trying.
Note - again I DO NOT condone piracy - however -

If I had to appear before a Court every time I POTENTIALLY could do something then I'd be arrested EVERY TIME a beautiful woman got on to the same Tube train I might be travelling in on my visits to London - -- and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in thinking how I could "enjoy myself" with XXX. !!

If I saw these I'd be straight in jail -- and before people wonder If I'm really that strange --this was one of an approved 3rd party desktop from Windows XP (the rare 64 bit version) called lotsofladies.jpg

(Perhaps this was why XP 64 bit never made it mainstream) !!!


Cheers

jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
New Anti-Piracy Weapon Revealed-lotsofladies.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2011   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Why are you so against it anyway?

piracy online is like stealing a movie from a movie store.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Jul 2011   #14

Stools
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post
Why are you so against it anyway?

piracy online is like stealing a movie from a movie store.
In reality most people who download this media can't afford them. Also there is a chain link here and that is that people who have involved themselves in piracy have bought computers. Their purchasing power has affected the rest of us because it makes computer products cheaper. So, the end result will be they don't buy any computers any more effectively making computers that much more expensive.
There is always an opposite reaction to an action.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2011   #15

Windows 7
 
 

ahhh potentially

well in that case - destroy every car, throw away every gun, crobar, knife....because potentially almost anything and everything can do harm.

oh wait - potentially harm profits, duh!

Isn't this part of facism, this whole "pre-crime" thing to protect corporations? Granted YES companies deserve to have their products protected - but placing potentially on anything means you are trying to predict something that just may never happen.

What protects a site that is erroneously shutdown due to potentiality?

I like the analogy with women, nice supplemental material as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2011   #16

Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
 
 

P2P filesharing is not the only way to obtain "material".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2011   #17

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo View Post
This is just the beginning. The sad thing is, most people will just let this happen. This will be the anchor that allows the DEA to be enforced. Before we know it, it will be "Great Firewall of Britain."

I've made my thoughts on this clear, in fact I am a member of ORG (who were referenced in the article), but just to be clear I do not condone piracy.

Neither do I condone these methods though, in particular, under the DEA (which I maintain this is a small step towards enforcing) a website can be blocked if it "is, has been or potentially could be used for piracy." That's every site on the damn net!

If they keep doing it like this then fine, fair enough. It needs to be all ISP's though. Even then it will fail, but at least they are trying.
Note - again I DO NOT condone piracy - however -

If I had to appear before a Court every time I POTENTIALLY could do something then I'd be arrested EVERY TIME a beautiful woman got on to the same Tube train I might be travelling in on my visits to London - -- and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in thinking how I could "enjoy myself" with XXX. !!

If I saw these I'd be straight in jail -- and before people wonder If I'm really that strange --this was one of an approved 3rd party desktop from Windows XP (the rare 64 bit version) called lotsofladies.jpg

(Perhaps this was why XP 64 bit never made it mainstream) !!!


Cheers

jimbo
porn is allowed? here in this forum jimbo?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2011   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Let me make one thing clear; I do not condone piracy, because each time software is stolen, it reduces revenue stream and therefore forces those of us that do play by the rules to pay more than we otherwise would have done.

That said, the global internet is to a certain degree one of the last bastions of free speech, and if ISPs are being forced to vet where we can go and what we do on the information highway, how long will it be before governments pass legislation to allow us to see only what THEY want us to see?

George Orwell's world is never too far away, it seems.
You can't rationalize it like that since many pirates had no intention of purchasing the software in the first place.
And stealing a digital copy of software is not the same thing as me going into a store and stealing physical products, the latter would cause products to go up in price due to theft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2011   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
I don't encourage piracy but THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT --in any case the use of a proxy makes this whole approach totally useless anyway.
But not everybody would jump through hoops to get things. Some measures stop some people...so I wouldn't consider these steps useless. They are just steps, not "be-all, end-all" solutions.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
One needs a DECENT COMMERCIAL approach to all this -- price the products properly and piracy becoms just a pin prick rather than a big commercial headache.
I don't see where reducing prices resolve the issues. People steal Adobe Photoshop because it's $600. People steal Microsoft Office because it's $300-$500 depending upon version. People steal Windows because it's $200. People pirate video games that are $40. People pirate AV apps that are $20. People steal whatever they can. I don't see where reducing prices will make the loss from piracy any less....because then the actual sales would also drop substantially...so the net result might just be the same.

I don't pirate anything because there are plenty of free alternatives out there. I'd rather use a more complicated or less sophisticated product that give Adobe Photoshop the time of day by stealing it. If Adobe wanted my business, their product wouldn't be $600.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Runckle_SP1 View Post
In reality most people who download this media can't afford them. Also there is a chain link here and that is that people who have involved themselves in piracy have bought computers.
I hate this argument that people pirate it because they cannot afford it. If you cannot afford it, find a free alternative. If you cannot find a free alternative, simply choose to not use the product that you are using. There are lots of things that I want that I cannot afford, but I don't feel entitled to just take it if I can get away with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2011   #20

Primary HDD boot Win 7 Ultimate x64, on partition Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Runckle_SP1 View Post

I think you have misunderstood the situation. It creates a legal precedent in the UK to make all blocking of websites legal. This means you can block those proxy servers that allow access to those websites as well. So, in point of fact Britain will soon be cut off from all those nasty websites that contain or are able to access pirated work.
I wasn't trying to minimalism the problem here, I was merely pointing out the fact that it is a waste of time and resources on their part due to the fact that they cannot fully block access as one can circumvent their attempts.
But I fully agree with you with your point of authorities establishing this as legal precedent for future censorship of other websites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Anti-Piracy Weapon Revealed




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33