Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The Last Days of Windows 7

28 Nov 2011   #201
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
You conveniently omitted ... ME.
So you're trying to say "Don't forget about ME"


Actually, I left several out, just checking if anyone has .... ah.... been counting.

I did use ME and didn't have any problems with it, well no more problems than usual for windows in them days, nothing too serious.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Nov 2011   #202
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Any news for windows 7 sp2?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #203
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
I'm considering going Linux. Windows is making me feel dumb.
I'm sorry man, but that has to be one of the most backwards things I have ever seen.

...and I'm from the internet.
What is backwards about going Linux ? It's more complex but quite powerful. The difference is the user base for linux is less then 5% compared to Windows and OSX. Learning Linux is complex, but can be powerful to have.

Basically if windows is making you feel dumb linux is going to make you feel down right retarded.
The reason for linux's tiny user base is simply because it's not so awesome as a home use operating system. It's arguably the best server os ever created. After spending nearly 3 months trying to create a stable wireless connection using multiple linux releases I pretty much just gave up myself. ...and believe me it wasn't for lack of trying.
The answer you get from the linux community and it's users is always the same though.
'you're using the wrong distro'
'you didn't follow instructions'
'it must be you because linux is perfect'

....no thanks the mac community is pretty much the same as well I wind up with windows for two honest reasons.
1 - I like to play games on my computer occasionally.
2 - the community is actually reasonable and can be worked with.

I'll wish you luck diving into linux just don't expect an enormous amount of support from the community if you ever run into a problem. A solid understanding of linux takes years to develop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2011   #204
Ravi5kumar

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 12.04.3 x64
 
 
I want my desktop back!!

I don't want any tablet shit OS. I will stick with my beautiful Windows 7 and my dual booted Ubuntu 11.10. Seriously Xp and 7 are the best and most lovable products of Microsoft. If they implement the Metro UI on windows 8 then it will go down as what VISTA did!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #205
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerometheGiraff View Post
I'm considering going Linux. Windows is making me feel dumb.
I'm sorry man, but that has to be one of the most backwards things I have ever seen.

...and I'm from the internet.
What is backwards about going Linux ? It's more complex but quite powerful. The difference is the user base for linux is less then 5% compared to Windows and OSX. Learning Linux is complex, but can be powerful to have.
There was a saying, "Use another distro, you learn that distro. Use Slackware, you learn Linux. For those who enjoy absorbing learning curve, you can find it here:

Slackware

Of course even with Slackware I suspect the good old days of having to download the X libraries and configure them yourself are gone. I bet it comes up to a window manager after installation. Still, it's probably the distro closest to the metal.

I did Slackware through release 3.0(the first good solid 2.x kernels. Never ever had a hardware lockup running Slackware 3.0) but that was enough for me. Went to Mandrake(now Mandriva) and did stuff the easy way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #206
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Linux ...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
...
The reason for linux's tiny user base is simply because it's not so awesome as a home use operating system. It's arguably the best server os ever created. After spending nearly 3 months trying to create a stable wireless connection using multiple linux releases I pretty much just gave up myself. ...and believe me it wasn't for lack of trying.
The answer you get from the linux community and it's users is always the same though.
'you're using the wrong distro'
'you didn't follow instructions'
'it must be you because linux is perfect'
Have you seen this video?
Mea culpa: coming clean about my n00b Linux mistakes
Mea culpa: coming clean about my n00b Linux mistakes | ZDNet
It's the first video in that article.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #207
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

lol linux is free and full of love, I would give you rep for that if I could...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #208
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
It's funny, because it's true

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
lol linux is free and full of love, I would give you rep for that if I could...
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Homer said it best, "It's funny 'cause it's true."
It's funny 'cause it's true - YouTube
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #209
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
...
The reason for linux's tiny user base is simply because it's not so awesome as a home use operating system. It's arguably the best server os ever created. After spending nearly 3 months trying to create a stable wireless connection using multiple linux releases I pretty much just gave up myself.
...
I disagree. I never messed around with wireless on Windows, Linux, VMS, Dos or any other OS. For me the frustrating part was the text editors. If you come from Dos/Windows it's just never comfortable using unix type editors. Only if I was subjected to forced total immersion would I get acclimated. Once I got to Mandrake 9.1 programs installed easily. Use apt-get and run the install. Stuff worked.. unlike RedHat 6 and earlier.

Just too frustrating having to think about the editing process rather than about what I wanted to type. All those AbiWord and all the rest, no matter the key bindings, just don't have a Dos/Windows editor feel.

It's a shame kylix never went anywhere because the editor in that IDE was the only place I could forget about how I was entering code and just think about the code I was writing.

Most of the hassle was getting stuff to interact with Windows. Learn how to do Samba just so you can get files off a Windows partition etc..

Once Mandrake 9.1 was out, the regular meat and potatoes was automatic. Boot up, the network card is running with your broadband. Select packages you want, they download and set up. When you reboot you come up to a Window Manager, click the browser it goes on the web. So you might have to enter some server and password info to get your email going. That's about it.

It's not running programs. That's all point and double-click. It's entering text that's the bitch. Stuff like Emacs I had to keep reading the help on how to use the help as the key bindings are totally unnatural. X-Emacs was a little better as you could fall back on the menus, but still you had to think about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #210
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

if anyone was wondering this is the video we were referencing above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The Last Days of Windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My first days with a Windows 8 phone
I became adventurous and spent $79 for a Windows 8 phone. I said to myself what can you lose, I spent similar money for a USB stick. But what I can gain is some experience - as if I needed that at my age, LOL. My first impressions are mixed. There are really 3 parts to it. 1. The Nokia part...
Chillout Room
Windows 7 bsod after 60+ days then 2 in one day.
What gives? By the way I hibernate my computer every night if that matters. Also the first recent bsod was yesterday and a Minidump was not created.
BSOD Help and Support
No Windows updates in 10 days?
Hi, I have not had any updates since 11 Jan in windows 7. I think something is wrong as I'm not even getting any defender updates. My pc is checking everyday and when I manually check it says no new updates. Everything is fine with my OS, is this normal? Thanks
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7's first 100 days: So how were yours?
More at: Windows 7's first 100 days: So how were yours? | iGeneration | ZDNet.com
News
Windows 7 is here in 2 days, and I'm on Ubuntu again :)
Ok, so I haven't totally ditched Windows 7...but considering how few problems I have had and the fact that I have been running it for quite some time on my home computer, I decided to start playing around with the new Ubuntu 9.10 Beta release on my work laptop. Thus far, everything is going...
Chillout Room
Windows 7 with be RTMed in 3 days!
Hello This could be four minute warningg style from Mark Owen: 3 days left to go, until the finale, Windows 7 will hit RTM! Everybody wants to know, what the build is, when it's going to be leaked to torrent sites.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App