Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Bulldozer is out and it sucks

15 Oct 2011   #61
omegaman7

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Well, x264 can be quite demanding.
Especially if you use higher settings to obtain higher quality results, slows it down a lot. Dowsizing 1080 --> 720P, De-Interlacing etc all add into that as well.


From the tests Ive seen, it doesnt look like Bulldozer fairs all that well with a conversion of Bluray/DTS --> x264 AC3.
It still struggles to keep up with a i2600k.
In fact, from the ones Ive seen, the Phenom x6 actually beats it by a few FPS.

I would think, in a multithereaded application like this, the Bulldozers 8 cores should make the Intel Quads look silly. But that doesnt seem to be the case.
Not sure why exactly.
I have to assume it's because of it's new design.

If I were to go to the future, and get the most advanced AM3+ processor, I'd still probably be unimpressed. Because nothing has been updated to run it yet. There's no coding for its unique design.

I'm not suggesting that it could smoke intel otherwise. I'm simply saying performance would no doubt be better. I have to take this into account.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2011   #62
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Well, it seems that I'd better go for a Phenom II processor rather than this one, I don't need more than 4 cores...

s for that lame excuse from AMD, Windows XP didn't support too well dual core prosessors, but AMD released the dual core handler and problem solved... but with Windows 7... Windows 7 was releases when 4 cores tecnology were released so far, so this OS supports up to 4 cores and maybe more due to the architecture of the OS (basuc improvements so far) So that excuse of Windows 7 not handling 8 cores too well, is just... lame...

What they need is just upgrade and improve Bulldozer, I guess next versions will be better.

See ya!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #63
omegaman7

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

It's not just about 8 cores, it's the overall design of the processor...

But I'll be steering clear as well. It simply wants too much power LOL!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Oct 2011   #64
simmo

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

A guy on OCAU forums is benching one atm..he's getting 4.8?Ghz from all 8 cores on air no crazy voltages etc. Not so shabby really..

Mind you I was going to line up for a BD but I think I'll wait for the X78 whatever from Intel..My rigs smashing everything atm anyway so I'm not in any hurry to upgrade..except for cards...for BF3

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #65
BES

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Well ...I found this right here:
AMD Bulldozer Registry Fix*|*Apple AMD Bulldozer patch, the Crash, Web-bots, Greece Default, Free Stock Footage

They claim they are working on a patch to fix Windows 7 so that it works properly with Bulldozer..

" By most estimates the AMD Bulldozer FX is underperforming by 40-70% in most Windows 7 benchmarks. By forcing Windows 7 to recognize 8 cpu cores a huge performance hit has happened. The Bulldozer FX-8xxx design… really isn’t 8 cores, it’s a 4 core CPU with an extra integer pipeline on each core. If the FX-8xxx series scale according to the 4 and 6 core Bulldozer design than there is a serious bug in Windows 7 that is crippling the FX-8150 performance."

I don't think Microsoft cares, or else a patch or service pack or SOMETHING would be released from Microsoft to solve the problem..

I have my FX-8150 on back order, I planned on trying to use Windows 8 Preview with it for a while ..unless Microsoft sends out an update for Windows 7 OR the dudes above put out a working patch ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #66
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

BES,
Excellent post and let's hope these fix's allow a good bit of improvement. I'm wondering if the server crowd has run into these same issues. I believe the future looks bright for AMD and though I would love to see these chips performance grow by 60-70 percent if it's only on the low side of 40 plus then we'll have lots to cheer about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #67
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
It's not just about 8 cores, it's the overall design of the processor...

But I'll be steering clear as well. It simply wants too much power LOL!
High power usage isn't necessarily a bad thing:


Attached Thumbnails
Bulldozer is out and it sucks-amdheater.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #68
SlasherIT

Ubuntu 12.10
 
 

More power used means higher electricity costs, and then you have the whole issue where using more electricity is not good (bad for environment).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #69
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BES View Post
" By most estimates the AMD Bulldozer FX is underperforming by 40-70% in most Windows 7 benchmarks. By forcing Windows 7 to recognize 8 cpu cores a huge performance hit has happened.
So, why didn't AMD address this with MS before the launch of this product? Why did they not mention this would be the case until X, Y and Z happened with software? Why would they more or less launch a product and let it fall on it's face with the tech community? ?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BES View Post
I don't think Microsoft cares, or else a patch or service pack or SOMETHING would be released from Microsoft to solve the problem..
Why would they design a chip in this fashion if they knew it would not work out with present day and forseeable software for the next near until Windows 8 is closer to release??

I think most of this is wishful thinking by AMD fans who hope to somehow save face with their magical processor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #70
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BES View Post
Well ...I found this right here:
AMD Bulldozer Registry Fix*|*Apple AMD Bulldozer patch, the Crash, Web-bots, Greece Default, Free Stock Footage

They claim they are working on a patch to fix Windows 7 so that it works properly with Bulldozer..

" By most estimates the AMD Bulldozer FX is underperforming by 40-70% in most Windows 7 benchmarks. By forcing Windows 7 to recognize 8 cpu cores a huge performance hit has happened. The Bulldozer FX-8xxx design… really isn’t 8 cores, it’s a 4 core CPU with an extra integer pipeline on each core. If the FX-8xxx series scale according to the 4 and 6 core Bulldozer design than there is a serious bug in Windows 7 that is crippling the FX-8150 performance."

I don't think Microsoft cares, or else a patch or service pack or SOMETHING would be released from Microsoft to solve the problem..

I have my FX-8150 on back order, I planned on trying to use Windows 8 Preview with it for a while ..unless Microsoft sends out an update for Windows 7 OR the dudes above put out a working patch ..

That pretty much should shut alot of people up

But that was already some of the speculation on why it was running so weak

Not looking to save face by the way I went to AMD because intel ran to hot and used to crash alot
I went red because i wanted to see how it was compared to intel , I am in no way dis-satisfied

There will be a time when they will work this out just have to give them a little time and room this was years in the making
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Bulldozer is out and it sucks




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Look out Bulldozer, here comes Excavator!
16 cores? Able to leap i7's in a single thread. In 2015
Hardware & Devices
My new Bulldozer has shipped.
I will be joining the ranks of the 8 core processor group. Got great advice from a fellow member here on which model to go with. Looking forward to maximizing my ram's potential and getting a nice overclock on this beast. From what I'm reading users are reporting fantastic results and this chip I...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
So, Bulldozer was a disappointment. What now?
Should I get a Phenom II X6 1090T or an FX-8120? I don't have to get one or the other, but I'm not going to buy an Intel CPU. Not yet anyway...:mad:
Hardware & Devices
More details on AMD Bulldozer
More ...
Hardware & Devices
What do you guys think of this Bulldozer MB ?
Hi ,Everyone one of my fav stores has finally gotten the Bulldozer mainboards in . I was looking around most of them start out at 199.99 I found one cheaper by 50.00 us check it out compared to the extreme one's i seen FRYS.com|ASUS
Hardware & Devices
The Bulldozer is coming !
Here you go boys and girls. AMD is going to rock the house with 8 cores, like Windows 8 I can't wait ! https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/InsideXbox/E3-2011-AMD-and-the-new-eyefinitiy-technology The chip news is at the end of the video....FYI !
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App