Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Skyrocketing price of mechanical hard drives

26 Nov 2011   #141
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
There was no technical reason for me to buy in a set as I did, it was just the way things worked out. At the time, I felt that it would be better to have 4 500GB drives, rather than 1 2TB drive, like not putting all the eggs in one basket.
Ah got you now thought they were "matched" as the old trannies used to be for optimum performance and stability.

Sounds a bit like my setup - 1TB and two 500GB 's one cloned from the larger one (insurance) only I only have only one connected in at any one time..

Just glad I bought up sort of big before the price hike


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Dec 2011   #142
EvilOzzmess

7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

My Notebook's 2.5" picked a REALLY crappy time to start dying on me... had to buy the only one Amazon is selling at a steep $134.99 (they of COURSE did not have any of the 320GB ones left... only 500GB, 250GB, and 160GB). I waited two days to confirm it was the HDD... I have at least 8 different indicators so had to do it. PXE "Operating System Not Found" Media Test Failure (IDE0 HDD not recognized in BIOS), Event 51 Disk and Event 57 NTFS errors (when it finally DID let me in), along with intermittent spinup failures, mini-freezes (ghosted shortcuts when moved), snap-ticking noises with the system in idle and etc. (oddly the drive keeps passing error checks left and right, must be a fluke there) SUCK! SUCK! SUCK! ROYALLY SUCK!

By the way, this HDD used to cost only $67 - $80 back in May 2011!

And the kicker is... it could still be my MOBO's controller going out (though it's not likely given the symptoms with the new snap-ticking). No way to tell unless a new one is plugged in and booted. And I of course only have two 3.5" external HDD's that can't be used to test that because they just HAD to make Notebook HDD's 2.5". Like 1" less makes all the difference...

I guess it's a small blessing that Amazon offers a 30-day "no questions asked" return policy on these things, unlike everywhere else. So at least my @$$ is covered there. No tax and free S&H too. Bonus.

But still:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2011   #143
0pTicaL

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilOzzmess View Post
My Notebook's 2.5" picked a REALLY crappy time to start dying on me... had to buy the only one Amazon is selling at a steep $134.99 (they of COURSE did not have any of the 320GB ones left... only 500GB, 250GB, and 160GB). I waited two days to confirm it was the HDD... I have at least 8 different indicators so had to do it. PXE "Operating System Not Found" Media Test Failure (IDE0 HDD not recognized in BIOS), Event 51 Disk and Event 57 NTFS errors (when it finally DID let me in), along with intermittent spinup failures, mini-freezes (ghosted shortcuts when moved), snap-ticking noises with the system in idle and etc. (oddly the drive keeps passing error checks left and right, must be a fluke there) SUCK! SUCK! SUCK! ROYALLY SUCK!

By the way, this HDD used to cost only $67 - $80 back in May 2011!

And the kicker is... it could still be my MOBO's controller going out (though it's not likely given the symptoms with the new snap-ticking). No way to tell unless a new one is plugged in and booted. And I of course only have two 3.5" external HDD's that can't be used to test that because they just HAD to make Notebook HDD's 2.5". Like 1" less makes all the difference...

I guess it's a small blessing that Amazon offers a 30-day "no questions asked" return policy on these things, unlike everywhere else. So at least my @$$ is covered there. No tax and free S&H too. Bonus.

But still:

Buy a external drive, take it out of the enclosure and put it in your laptop. Money saved.

Western Digital My Passport Essential 320GB - $59.99
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Dec 2011   #144
draynes

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 0pTicaL View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EvilOzzmess View Post
My Notebook's 2.5" picked a REALLY crappy time to start dying on me... had to buy the only one Amazon is selling at a steep $134.99 (they of COURSE did not have any of the 320GB ones left... only 500GB, 250GB, and 160GB). I waited two days to confirm it was the HDD... I have at least 8 different indicators so had to do it. PXE "Operating System Not Found" Media Test Failure (IDE0 HDD not recognized in BIOS), Event 51 Disk and Event 57 NTFS errors (when it finally DID let me in), along with intermittent spinup failures, mini-freezes (ghosted shortcuts when moved), snap-ticking noises with the system in idle and etc. (oddly the drive keeps passing error checks left and right, must be a fluke there) SUCK! SUCK! SUCK! ROYALLY SUCK!

By the way, this HDD used to cost only $67 - $80 back in May 2011!

And the kicker is... it could still be my MOBO's controller going out (though it's not likely given the symptoms with the new snap-ticking). No way to tell unless a new one is plugged in and booted. And I of course only have two 3.5" external HDD's that can't be used to test that because they just HAD to make Notebook HDD's 2.5". Like 1" less makes all the difference...

I guess it's a small blessing that Amazon offers a 30-day "no questions asked" return policy on these things, unlike everywhere else. So at least my @$$ is covered there. No tax and free S&H too. Bonus.

But still:

Buy a external drive, take it out of the enclosure and put it in your laptop. Money saved.

Western Digital My Passport Essential 320GB - $59.99



LOL

I have one of those and never thought of what it cost versus a bare drive. And to top it off, I got it cheaper than usual since I bought a re-certified unit that had been returned to WD for some reason. Mine works perfectly every time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #145
FranzB

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, Linux Mint Julia, in dual boot mode
 
 

The recent price hike is mostly due to the flooding in Thailand where even industrial parks have been inundated and production stopped. Apparently 15% of all hard drives are manufactured there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #146
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FranzB View Post
The recent price hike is mostly due to the flooding in Thailand where even industrial parks have been inundated and production stopped. Apparently 15% of all hard drives are manufactured there.
Apparently, you have old data. That's already been discussed here and the number is closer to 70+%. A 15% loss in manufacturing wouldn't have such a large impact on the market as we're seeing now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #147
FranzB

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, Linux Mint Julia, in dual boot mode
 
 

Those are recent data from the Bangkok Post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #148
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 
Some Good News

Here is some good news from WD as they get one plant back in production.

WD dries out flood-trashed fab, pumps out first disks ? Channel Register

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #149
adrek

Windows 7
 
 

My 1.5 TB storage drive just died last week, do you guys know when is it expected for the prices to go down a bit?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #150
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Probably not for at least 6 Months. Is you drive under warranty?

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Skyrocketing price of mechanical hard drives




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?
I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get: Location Not Available H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied If I go into the properties to the “security” tab, it says “you do not have permission to view or edit this...
Hardware & Devices
Flash drives and external hard drives
I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my...
Hardware & Devices
A Virtual Hard Drive? Two separate hard drives now run Win 7 x64
While looking into another possible problem with a hard drive on my system,I began unplugging the devices (there are four of them) to isolate the problem and in doing so, I I seriously corrupted C drive, and began getting 0x7b BSOD messages. First I tried to do a System Repair with the Repair...
Backup and Restore
2 different Hard Drives???
HI, I have win 7 64 bit.. I cloned my Seagate Hard drive to a Western Digital portable drive, using Acronis. It all went fine. Not even 4 weeks later, I had a registry failure. I was not even upset knowing I had a full and total backup. When I went to put all the info back onto my internal hard...
Hardware & Devices
Hard Drives
I hope this isn't a 'stupid' question, but what is the difference between Sata & e-sata?
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App