Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Firefox faces uncertain future as Google deal apparently ends

07 Dec 2011   #21

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Interesting, Steve.

First I've seen of incognito version of Chrome. You think it's for real?

Your Ted link is busted.
Greg, have you had any experience with ChromePlus?

The Difference between CoolNovo ChromePlus and Google Chrome in Privacy Policy | CoolNovo ChromePlus

Product | CoolNovo ChromePlus (mentions incognito mode, bottom of page, but their wiki link is broke)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2011   #22

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, Linux Mint Julia, in dual boot mode
 
 

The possibility of spying/stalking is there ...... so what do you expect?
George Orwell was a genius/visionary back in 1946. The only little mistake he made was the tv screen that is watching whether you do your morning exercises, etc. It should have been a computer screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2011   #23

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Well...unless you install a webcam, the spy could only see if an exercise program was running, not that you were actually using it...unless you use XBox Kinect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Dec 2011   #24

Win 7 ultimate x64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Well...unless you install a webcam, the spy could only see if an exercise program was running, not that you were actually using it...unless you use XBox Kinect.

hmmm, don't most laptops, ipaddles and such come with webcams built-in nowadays. also 'smart' phones, which besides cameras, also have gps and bios coded spyware to monitor your every action for big brother.(Connect IQ/Carrier IQ software)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #25

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, Linux Mint Julia, in dual boot mode
 
 

Let me add my two bits. When i studied it was impressed on me that every idiot can do measurements. The point is that the measurements have to be right, have to be representative and above all "what are you going to do with them?".
Another point is that a lot of people apparently do not care about their "privacy". They give it away freely, i.e. on Farcebook. But here again, who checks the data? It may be all lies. So what can you do with the data? Nothing, imo.The danger, however, is that conclusions may nevertheless be drawn from the data; data that may not be correct and are (still) not representative of the general population. For instance, the ones on Farcebook are not representative of the general population, far from it. The members of this forum are not representative of the general PC user.
The danger of Big Brother is not that he watches but that he gets the wrong information and starts to do something with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #26

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (desktop) / x64 (laptop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FranzB View Post
Let me add my two bits. When i studied it was impressed on me that every idiot can do measurements. The point is that the measurements have to be right, have to be representative and above all "what are you going to do with them?".
Another point is that a lot of people apparently do not care about their "privacy". They give it away freely, i.e. on Farcebook. But here again, who checks the data? It may be all lies. So what can you do with the data? Nothing, imo.The danger, however, is that conclusions may nevertheless be drawn from the data; data that may not be correct and are (still) not representative of the general population. For instance, the ones on Farcebook are not representative of the general population, far from it. The members of this forum are not representative of the general PC user.
The danger of Big Brother is not that he watches but that he gets the wrong information and starts to do something with it.
Hmmm. . tabula rasa came to mind. . let's face it, we all start off as idiots but tend to learn as we grow. Admittedly, you have a point in your statements.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #28

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
Woohoo!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #29

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Interesting, Steve.

First I've seen of incognito version of Chrome. You think it's for real?

Your Ted link is busted.
Greg, have you had any experience with ChromePlus?

The Difference between CoolNovo ChromePlus and Google Chrome in Privacy Policy | CoolNovo ChromePlus

Product | CoolNovo ChromePlus (mentions incognito mode, bottom of page, but their wiki link is broke)
I've been using chromium for awhile. It's the base code of chrome and open source. After some messing around I found the best way for me was to clean out all my cookies using CCleaner. Then set chromium to allow local data. Go around to my favorite sites to let them store the permanent cookie. Now those sites I don't have to log in. After that I changed the setting to allow cookies for session only. Sites don't complain because chromium accepts the cookie. But it's gone when the browser closes. To minimize manual log ins, I use LastPass.

Also I use Window Washer now and then to clean out index.dat files.

I like chromium. It's lightning fast. Plus most of the snap shots are very stable. You can get more privacy using about:flags to disable some of the auditing going on.

The nice thing is I only need to run 4 extensions to do everything I need.
I still run Firefox and Opera on occasion but chromium is my default browser.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2011   #30

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Interesting, Steve.

First I've seen of incognito version of Chrome. You think it's for real?

Your Ted link is busted.
Greg, have you had any experience with ChromePlus?

The Difference between CoolNovo ChromePlus and Google Chrome in Privacy Policy | CoolNovo ChromePlus

Product | CoolNovo ChromePlus (mentions incognito mode, bottom of page, but their wiki link is broke)
I've been using chromium for awhile. It's the base code of chrome and open source. After some messing around I found the best way for me was to clean out all my cookies using CCleaner. Then set chromium to allow local data. Go around to my favorite sites to let them store the permanent cookie. Now those sites I don't have to log in. After that I changed the setting to allow cookies for session only. Sites don't complain because chromium accepts the cookie. But it's gone when the browser closes. To minimize manual log ins, I use LastPass.

Also I use Window Washer now and then to clean out index.dat files.

I like chromium. It's lightning fast. Plus most of the snap shots are very stable. You can get more privacy using about:flags to disable some of the auditing going on.

The nice thing is I only need to run 4 extensions to do everything I need.
I still run Firefox and Opera on occasion but chromium is my default browser.
Good info. Thanks for sharing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Firefox faces uncertain future as Google deal apparently ends





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33